Author Topic: Rethinking HeartGold  (Read 4243 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline MegaNerd14

• Highest Master Meganerd
  • Rex Fan
  • my battle theme is "Radix - Fire and Ice"
    • View Profile
Rethinking HeartGold
« on: December 19, 2016, 20:34 »
   I'm redoing the HeartGold team because I realised it wasn't exactly the best (also I got stuck at the 4th gym).  It requires trading, (post-E4) items that aren't available until the post-game (The fastest shiny stone you can get requires Rock Climb, Which you get after all 16 badges), etc.  So instead, I'm doing something completely different! (That also doesn't require me to cheat because I'm against cheating) :D

Typhlosion

Flamethrower
Sunny Day
SolarBeam
Swagger

Item: Charcoal
Ability: Blaze

My Starter is staying.

Quagsire :/

Surf
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Beam

Item: Mystic Water
Ability: Water Absorb

Quagsire is really meant to be used as a RestTalk Pokemon but, you know, HMs. (I really wanted a Cloyster but it can't have Waterfall)

Crobat

Cross Poison
Fly
Roost
U-Turn

Item: Amulet Coin
Ability: Inner Focus

The only really cool flying-type in this game :/

Magneton (Will evolve in Platinum after E4)

Thunderbolt
Magnet Rise
Flash Cannon
Metal Sound

Item: Magnet
Ability: Sturdy

I LOVE MAGNETON!!!

Espeon

Psychic
Shadow Ball
Calm Mind
Double Team

Item: King's Rock (Soothe Bell until evolution)
Ability: Synchronize (Magic Bounce isn't available)

My favourite Eeveelution.  So cute and powerful!! :3

Heracross

Close Combat
Megahorn
Night Slash
Swords Dance

Item: Black Belt
Ability: Guts

*no comment*

Also, who wants crudbutt?
[insert memes] [insert signature too]

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rethinking HeartGold
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 23:07 »
I love this team, like I literally love every pokemon bar Magneton on it (although boo no Meganium) - but I've got a few small suggestions.

Swagger on Typhlosion doesn't seem too great - maybe get Focus Blast from the Goldenrod department store? Lets you hit Rock-types without having to set up Sunny Day or charge SolarBeam first, or maybe Lava Plume to have a high burn chance (30% vs 10% on Flamethrower), or even Overheat to use as a last ditch effort? Focus Blast would probably be my preference here.

Quagsire I don't really have anything for - needing both Surf and Waterfall really limits him!

Crobat seems as good as it gets, he's so strong in game!

So with Magneton I was wondering why you're using Magnet Rise & Metal Sound but then I checked his Gen IV moveset and he learns like nothing -_- Metal Sound kind of needs to go though - maybe replace it with Explosion or Charge beam? Maybe even Discharge to have a 30% paralysis rate, or Tri-Attack for killing things like Lanturn, that resist both your stabs (via Volt Absorb in his case). Signal Beam is another option, but that's a Frontier tutor so waaaaaay late game and totally not worth the effort. Explosion TM is probably a bit late (tunnel between Cerulean & Vermillion), but Charge Beam is only in Olivine, and iirc it boosts your SpA with each use which is nice!

Espeon I'd probably go Grass Knot > Double Team, just because Double Team is really risky,  although Grass Knot is in Kanto so not available for /aaaages/, so I guess Double Team is good enough!

Heracross could maybe use Shadow Claw > Night Slash, as this hits every pokemon for neutral or better damage, whereas Night Slash will miss out on Heracross, Croagunk & Toxicroak, but this is minor. The TM for Shadow Claw is on the route between Ecruteak & Mahogany, Route 42.

Most those changes are totally minor things, and tbh the team doesn't need the changes to beat the game, just if you're looking for minor tweaks this is what I'd make :) Good luck with your run through - at least you made it past Whitney's goddamn miltank last time (In fact, I think I beat it on my Typhlosion run by teaching Quilava Fire Blast and hitting it with a 5-levels-too-high Fire Blast xD) - usually it's more Chikorita that struggles with Morty than Cyndaquil!
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline MegaNerd14

• Rex Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 23:36 »
"Swagger on Typhlosion doesn't seem too great"  "Double team is really risky"  I like RNG :D, and Double Team is still really good

"Heracross could use Shadow Claw over Night Slash"  They're the exact same IMO. I'm trading an immunity for 2 resists.

"Although boo no Meganium"  This is just me, but I hate using the grass type.

"at least you made it past Whitney's
Spoiler: show
goddamn
Miltank last time" 

Whitney is a complete joke if you know what you're doing.  You can beat her with only a freaking Exeggcute. (Reflect to halve damage output, Leech Seed to ensure longevity, Hypnosis to prevent attacking and then spam confusion)  I curse-stalled her out with Gastly

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 00:13 »
"Swagger on Typhlosion doesn't seem too great"  "Double team is really risky"  I like RNG :D, and Double Team is still really good

Yeah, that's fair enough, RNG can be fun in-game (I just find it always lands the wrong way >_>) - I use Double Team a lot in-game too even tho I know it's not often the best choice haha.

"Heracross could use Shadow Claw over Night Slash"  They're the exact same IMO. I'm trading an immunity for 2 resists.

They pretty much are tbh, but a useful tool for checking things like this are coverage calculators like this - which tell you which pokemon you don't hit for SE/Neutral damage. Unfortunately it can't be set to a specific gen, but you can choose gen 2-5 type chart so that's good :) I'd probably stick to Night Slash too in your shoes, just because the TM for Shadow Claw is a bit out the way, but idk how perfectionist you are about your team haha xD

"Although boo no Meganium"  This is just me, but I hate using the grass type.

Yeah, Meganiums just my absolute favourite starter in any gen. Kind of upsetting that Typhlosion & Feraligatr are the other options, as I love both of them too but don't get much chance to use the because of Meganium!

"at least you made it past Whitney's
Spoiler: show
goddamn
Miltank last time" 

Whitney is a complete joke if you know what you're doing.  You can beat her with only a freaking Exeggcute. (Reflect to half damage output, Leech Seed to ensure longevity, Hypnosis to prevent attacking and then spam confusion)  I curse-stalled her out with Gastly

Yeah, if you go to her with tactics she's easy enough, but I went in blind on my first run and was just like wth is this xD She, like any other gym leader, is super easy if you know what you'll be up against and properly prepare.
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline The name master

• The name rater's rival!
  • Joeno Fan
  • I rate your nicknames (unofficially)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 09:38 »
In Crystal, get a Wobbuffet from the game corner in Goldenrod. Save before you buy to make sure you get a female so attract won't work! If you get a male turn it off and back on and try again.

Then just spam counter! You'll return rollout with double the damage!

And if Miltank uses Milk Drink.... I can't help you!
Thanks to Inferna for one of the many reasons why I love Dragonite!

Offline MegaNerd14

• Rex Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 15:45 »
   How exactly is advice with an easy gym leader in Crystal supposed to help with team building in HeartGold again?

Offline The name master

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 15:48 »
   How exactly is advice with an easy gym leader in Crystal supposed to help with team building in HeartGold again?
Just saying!

I'd love him/her, but I don't have a legit copy of the game (yet)

Offline MegaNerd14

• Rex Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 16:18 »
Just saying!
I'd love him/her, but I don't have a legit copy of the game (yet)

I can transfer him to ORAS to trade :D

Offline The name master

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 16:25 »
I can transfer him to ORAS to trade :D
Don't even have a 3DS!  :-/

I have a DS, but no money to buy the game. WAY too expensive!  :( :( :( :(

Well, it's Christmas, so fingers crossed.... Never going to happen!

Offline MegaNerd14

• Rex Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 16:35 »
Crudbutt's getting erased with my save file then!

Good riddance, ugly crudder!  I hope I find something cool this time! :D