Pokémon Games > Team Building

Mr Mime or Dragonite

(1/2) > >>

The name master:
I'm playing Pokemon Yellow, using a team based on Red's team in G/S/C (except Espeon, of course!)

Charizard
Blastoise
Venusaur
Pikachu
Snorlax

Should I have a Mr Mime or a Dragonite?

Mr Mime is, of course, an in game trade, so grows faster and is a great replacement of Espeon, but Dragonite is also great!

Captain Jigglypuff:
I say Dragonite because in Gen 1 Mr Mime's Move pool was small and it didn't have that much coverage. Plus the go to Psychic Pokémon of the first gen were Mewtwo and Alakazam. Dragonite is much more useful and is only taken out by Ice type moves which are rare in Gen 1.

Richard and Blaziken:
Dragonite's movepool is very sparse as well in generation 1. If you're choosing between the two, Dragonite is superior. Take advantage of the gen 1 glitch where upon KOing an opponent with Hyper Beam, there is no recharge. I'd suggest something like:

Hyper Beam
Surf/Blizzard
Fire Blast / Body Slam / Thunder Wave
Body Slam / Wrap / Thunder Wave

Wrap prevents the opponent from doing anything, and most AI Trainers won't switch, if I recall. Add Paralysis to this via Thunder Wave or Body Slam (both of which have their merits) and Dragonite ensures he goes first to prevent the opponent from touching you. Blizzard has 90% accuracy in gen 1, Surf is easier to teach due to it being an HM. Fire Blast is probably better saved for Charizard if you're going to use it, but man, Dragonite's movepool in gen 1 is terrible.

The name master:

--- Quote from: Captain Jigglypuff on July 14, 2017, 16:32 ---Dragonite is much more useful and is only taken out by Ice type moves which are rare in Gen 1.

--- End quote ---
I was going to say that's incredibly broken, but then there psychic types.....

Spoiler: showAll because someone apparently screwed a simple bit of programming.

Is Ice Beam any good for Dragonite? That'll get rid of one TM that will otherwise go unused.

I'll give Surf to Blastoise.

SirBlaziken:

--- Quote from: Captain Jigglypuff on July 14, 2017, 16:32 ---I say Dragonite because in Gen 1 Mr Mime's Move pool was small and it didn't have that much coverage. Plus the go to Psychic Pokémon of the first gen were Mewtwo and Alakazam. Dragonite is much more useful and is only taken out by Ice type moves which are rare in Gen 1.

--- End quote ---

Well I was going to give a detailed explanation about the two but seeing as how you summed it up in about 3 sentences, i'll be going.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version