Author Topic: Team Building Q+A Thread  (Read 47494 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Zy

• Ice and Lightning
  • Sentret Fan
  • Time for a true display of skill!
    • View Profile
Re: Team Building Q+A Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2010, 16:44 »
1. Yes. It also inherits the HP IV despite not making a difference.
2. Yes.
| | | |

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2010, 11:09 »
Following on from my questions about Weather teams...

Cherrim+Groudon

vs

Rayquaza+Gengar

Ok, the sun starts shining due to Groudon, but the effects are nullified due to Rayquaza's Air Lock.

Turn 1: Cherrim used Worry Seed on Rayquaza.
Gengar used Shadow Ball
Rayquaza uses Dragon Dance
Groudon used Dragon Claw

Now...Cherrim uses Worry Seed, taking away Rayquaza's Air Lock. Does this mean that Cherrim immediately reverts back to its Sunny Form? Furthermore, would Groudon still receive the Flower Gift boost to Dragon Claw? Or would the Sun only come back at the end of the turn?

This is rather crucial to my VGC team, and I fear that if Worry Seed's effects only manifest at the end of the turn, Rayquaza will undo my entire team, and I'll have to think up something new xD

Offline The Wroth

• 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • Winner of PKMN.NET JAN 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2010, 11:26 »
^ I'm not good at ubers but isn't that pretty situational? Would Ray not fear a Stone Edge, or a Swords Danced Dragon Claw/ Stone Edge the next turn, provided +1 Outrage doesn't OHKO?

Plus, when someone using ubers sees Cherrim, they'll most likely aim straight for it to get a quick lead rather than set up on it (Well i would, anyway)... Especially if it remains at 70/70/78 defenses while Air Lock is still active.

Also, i reckon Groudon would have to switch out and back in to activate the sun, because if someone changes the weather temporarily, the sun doesn't automatically come back out iirc.

Afro-Disiak

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2010, 11:31 »
^ I'm not good at ubers but isn't that pretty situational? Would Ray not fear a Stone Edge, or a Swords Danced Dragon Claw/ Stone Edge the next turn, provided +1 Outrage doesn't OHKO?

Plus, when someone using ubers sees Cherrim, they'll most likely aim straight for it to get a quick lead rather than set up on it (Well i would, anyway)... Especially if it remains at 70/70/78 defenses while Air Lock is still active.

Also, i reckon Groudon would have to switch out and back in to activate the sun, because if someone changes the weather temporarily, the sun doesn't automatically come back out iirc.

Agree, Rayquaza would be running from Groudon anyway, so once it activates Air Lock it will most likely switch out. As for the forme changing... I think the easiest way to work it out is to set up the situation yourself on a pair of DSs, it's quite a complicated one.

Offline Zy

• Ice and Lightning
  • Sentret Fan
  • Time for a true display of skill!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2010, 16:38 »
I did testing from a similar situation (thing on Smogon where someone asked what happened if you Skill Swapped an Auto-Weather ability whilst another weather is active).
I also did your exact situation - Since Rayquaza's Air Lock only negates the EFFECTS of Weather, but doesn't actually cancel out the weather itself, once it has been Worry Seeded, the effects of the Sun will resume play.

...this is assuming your Cherrim lives long enough to Worry Seed Rayquaza in the first place.
| | | |

Offline Lusewing

• Trinity Dragons
  • Mulholland Fan
  • Magicarp is so cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2010, 17:57 »
Ok here is a question I can't seem to find the answer to.

If Thunder is used in rainy weather it has 100% accuracy BUT if the pokemon it is attacking is holding Bright powder dose that still knock it down to 90% hit chance or will it just always hit like Swift. I am guessing it will be the 90% but I would like to make sure.

Offline Hicky

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2010, 17:59 »
Ok here is a question I can't seem to find the answer to.

If Thunder is used in rainy weather it has 100% accuracy BUT if the pokemon it is attacking is holding Bright powder dose that still knock it down to 90% hit chance or will it just always hit like Swift. I am guessing it will be the 90% but I would like to make sure.
Yes, it would be 90%
I like Sqwirtle.

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2010, 21:31 »
what does 'bulky' mean in competitve battling? i've seen it being used a lot, '...bulky water', '...bulky poison'.
can someone clear this up for me?

Offline Enigma

• Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2010, 22:07 »
Bulky is a term used to describe a Pokemon that has decent HP, Defence and Special Defence, meaning that they have enough 'bulk' to take a range of attacks.

So a bulky water would be something like Slowbro or Suicune, whereas a bulky Poison type would be Weezing.

Generally, type can effect a Pokemon's bulkiness - Umbreon, for example,would be considered bulky, if it wasn't for its poor typing. Being Dark type offers it few resistances and a number of weaknesses to common types. Therefore, despite its apparent 'bulky' stats, it can't truly be bulky because it can't stand up to top OU attackers.

Offline Roxxy the Zangoose

• Destroyer of Dunsparces
  • Joeno Fan
  • Dragonpika is the maker of my awesome avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2010, 23:07 »
What is a good Flying type pokemon for my new team? It has to be able to learn Fly, please, but other than that, I'm cool with anything.

Made by the awesome Infernalbird~
New RPer School NOW OPEN GO SIGN UP!

Offline THE ARBITER

• previously known as mycode1511111
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2010, 02:36 »
probaly a bagon or dratini including evos

hey does anyone know what a good water type
my 3ds friend code 1891 1729 2600
pm me if you want me to add you

Offline Agatha

• Crystal!
  • Mulholland Fan
  • Crystal - Stormwinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2010, 09:05 »
probaly a bagon or dratini including evos

hey does anyone know what a good water type

The Best non-uber Water types in the game are: Gyarados, Suicune, Empoleon, Kingdra, Starmie, Swampert, Tentacruel, Vaporeon, Azumarill, Slowbro and Milotic. Though plenty more are usable such as Ludicolo, Omastar, Blastoise, Feraligatr, Kabutops and Slowking.
I am Agatha of the Kanto League Elite Four. Challenge us today.

Offline Enigma

• Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2010, 09:49 »
What is a good Flying type pokemon for my new team? It has to be able to learn Fly, please, but other than that, I'm cool with anything.

If you're after something that can be used competitively as well, give BellyZard a go. Fly is generally discouraged as it leaves you walled against Rock Pokemon, but really, if they're switching into your +6 Attack, you're either going to OHKO the frailer Rock types (Aerodactyl) or hit them and outspeed them the next turn with Fire Punch.

So yeah, Charizard would be my choice of a competitive mon that can use Fly in and out of battle.

Afro-Disiak

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2010, 10:48 »

I'd go with Staraptor... it only needs two moves to get great coverage, and you can still run Return:

Staraptor@Amulet Coin
Trait: Intimidate
Nature: Jolly
-Return
-Brave Bird
-Close Combat
-Fly

This is my ingame Staraptor that has travelled with me to every new game. Close Combat is a godsend against Rock/Steels that Flyer usually have trouble with, and Brave Bird is POWA

Offline Legacy

• I know I'm in my own little world but it's ok, they know me here.
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2010, 10:55 »
OK my new question is this:

What pokemon are best for getting various EV's? Like say if you're trying to get Sp.Def EV's, which pokemon would be best to battle, and where would you find them?

I've decided to start getting a competitive team together, so that once I get wi-fi I can start battling others, so I will probably be asking a fair few questions on here now =/
No man is ever truly good.
No man is ever truly evil.
I do the things you never could,
and we won't ever be equal