Author Topic: 120x120 Mega scratch sprites!  (Read 9066 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
120x120 Mega scratch sprites!
« on: September 19, 2014, 06:21 »
With the advent of X/Y came Mega Evolutions, but it also brought about 3D models for every Pokemon. While I love the 3D models, I'm also a big fan of sprite art, so I've begun making Mega Evolutions sprites with a 120x120 pixel limit, which is what they might have used if the series had continued with sprite based art!

Mega Blaziken:

Mega Lucario:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 14:58 by Richard and Blaziken »
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Blaziken scratch!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 00:41 »
Hmm, the fire doesn't really look fire-y enough to me and the lack of outline shading (full black outlines are a personal pet peeve of mine re: spriting) doesn't really bring it out as well as it could be?

The contrasts are great though, the shading makes sense and the lineart (despite the pure black) is great so yeah, it's definitely a good effort =] I prefer the colours on yours to the actual sprite, as well as the pose (which is also another good thing, it looks very authentic and ready for battle without looking too obvious). I think it's right arm (the left from the viewer's perspective) looks a little funny too, I mean it makes sense biologically (if that's the right word?) but to fit in with the pose I'd maybe adjust it personally. I like the fact yours looks a little more bulky too, again it looks more natural which is great!

All things considered though, it's a very good effort and you should be proud of it =]

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 03:49 »
Thanks, Alex! I had black outlines on the flames, but it didn't look right. I also didn't shade the flames because fire is all light, so it didn't make sense in my head, but maybe I should? I'll give it a go later and see how different it looks.

The right hand gave me trouble like you wouldn't believe, it has driven me to the brink of insanity. I fully concede that I just can't make it how I want. xD

Seriously though, thanks for the critiques, they're all things I will keep in mind for future projects. I am rather proud of this, given it's my first scratch of this size. Hopefully Sceptile comes out well too! ^_^

Offline Bulbakip

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
    • What do WE think?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:00 »
I don't really know how this should look but it's really nice and it looks a bit better than the actuall one
And really it's pose is awesome

BTW How do you make those scratches?

[gif]https://urpgstatic.com/img_library/pokemon_sprites_animated/001.gif[gif] [gif]https://urpgstatic.com/img_library/pokemon_sprites_animated/258.gif[gif]

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 10:02 »
I don't really know how this should look but it's really nice and it looks a bit better than the actuall one
And really it's pose is awesome

BTW How do you make those scratches?

Thank you! A scratch means that it's made from scratch, as in, pixel-by-pixel . I used some artwork as a reference and just sort of... made it! It takes some practice, and I'm hardly an expert, but that's all there is to it. :)

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 13:26 »
Thanks, Alex! I had black outlines on the flames, but it didn't look right. I also didn't shade the flames because fire is all light, so it didn't make sense in my head, but maybe I should? I'll give it a go later and see how different it looks.

I don't think it necessarily needs an outline; I think the problem is that with the original sprite it gets away with that style of fire because it sorta represents it's movement whereas yours is somewhat static so it needs to look more fire-y? I dunno, I always found fire hard too so just play around with the patterns to see whether you can make it look more natural ^^;

The right hand gave me trouble like you wouldn't believe, it has driven me to the brink of insanity. I fully concede that I just can't make it how I want. xD

oh I know, scratching is a very difficult and long process so I can understand the pain completely xD

Seriously though, thanks for the critiques, they're all things I will keep in mind for future projects. I am rather proud of this, given it's my first scratch of this size. Hopefully Sceptile comes out well too! ^_^

You should be, overall it's great! I know I wouldn't be able to scratch anything that good right now =P

E.C.A.M.B.S.

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:02 »
Not bad really, but something's off with Blaziken's snout. I thought Blaziken's nose area was more like a beak, not like a snout that protrudes from his face. The Blaziken reminds me a bit of Suicune actually. That just seems a little off to me, but other than that it's pretty cool and a lot better than what I could do

Can't wait to see Sceptile

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 07:19 »
Huh... you're totally right! I didn't notice, but it was jutting out too much! Thank you, I've made an edit that I feel works better than before! ^_^

E.C.A.M.B.S.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 07:22 »
Huh. Well that sure was fast

edit: I just noticed that you could draw Blaziken's pupil in too. That could also make it even better
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:29 by E.K.A.N.S. »

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 07:30 »
I actually had a version that had a pupil, but it didn't look right at all. The sprite is too small for one, unfortunately. ^^;

Offline Neotenens

• Dark-type Poet
  • Rob Fan
  • Happiness is for happy people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 01:25 »
That looks awesome! I can't do scratches at all. I always have to edit and cut older sprites, like I did with my profile.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Sizacu

• Sentret Fan
  • hello everyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 16:05 »
It's a bit of a long time since the last post, but I was wondering if this might benefit your current and future scratches: the body has a bit of pillow shading going on, which looks odd. The tuft of feathers in the lower half also has the pillow shading effect going on, which blurs it out. imo, you shouldn't use any shades in that area and maybe instead make the outline a little lighter to denote shading there.
There's also the hair... things (?) on our left behind Blaziken's head which doesn't follow the light source, which I believe is from the top left corner. If that were the case, you should actually reverse the shading so that the lighter area is in the top left and the darker closer to the head. This also applies to an extent the right hair piece, but it isn't as noticeable I think.
Following Kerou's advice, I think the right arm looks off because it's placed too low. If you unbend that arm, it'll turn out longer than the left.

So what I think you just need to be careful about is light and being wary of outlines, as all black would make the sprites look like they were just stuck on to the background. Everything else looks fine so far, and I'm particularly impressed with how you sprited Blaziken's chest feathers!

Captivating Radiant Elegant Serene Seraphic Enchanting Lovely Immortal Adorable

Are you interested in spriting, or improving it?

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 03:25 »
Thanks for the advice, Sizacu! I haven't had much free time to sprite and I need to buy a new mouse so I can actually do that. Once I get that though, I will try to employ some of these changes and see how it comes out!

Offline Sizacu

• Sentret Fan
  • hello everyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 12:16 »
Ah, okay & you're welcome. I'll be looking forward to see what else you can make once you get a new mouse c: Good luck!

Captivating Radiant Elegant Serene Seraphic Enchanting Lovely Immortal Adorable

Are you interested in spriting, or improving it?

Offline Gusparce

• Dunsparce
  • Joeno Fan
  • I'm not your average worm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 02:39 »
This is amazing! I love the pose and the facial expression. I don't have much advice to give you, as I haven't sprited myself in ages, but keep up the awesome work!  ^.^