Author Topic: Hail Team?  (Read 6189 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline spyhunter7

• Person who says NEIN!
  • Iceduck Fan
  • Hello, human beings!
    • View Profile
Hail Team?
« on: April 29, 2012, 03:41 »
Well, I'm considering taking up competitive battling on Wi-Fi (5th gen OU), so I might as well get as much info as I can. Just wondering, does anyone have good ideas on a 5th Gen Hail team?
Time and time again, I doubt the survival of dust bunnies in this world...

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: Hail Team?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 04:56 »
Abomasnow is obvious, since keeping Hail up is necessary. Espeon or Xatu with Magic Bounce helps keep SRocks off the field, or Hitmontop could fill that role by being a decent spinner, as well as threatening Tyranitar that will inevitably ruin your Hail countless times.

Chandelure works well in Hail teams, absorbing both Fire and Fighting attacks, but only adds to the Rock weakness (something Hitmontop also helps).

The real problem is that Hail teams are simply not viable. Stealth Rock ruins them, and they have to constantly compete with Tyranitar and Politoed changing the weather.

The good news is that putting Abomasnow into an OU team is completely viable, if only for removing both Sand and Rain from play. It has to be done carefully, and Abomasnow requires so much team support in itself that it's generally not worth it, but it's an option.

Overall, you'll just end up causing yourself more headache than you need by attempting a Hail team in OU. Abomasnow can be used on normal teams with the right support, if you desperately hate weather, and have a good way of removing both TTar and Politoed on your team. The Hail will still chip 6% from your Pokemon per turn, though, negating Leftovers and actively harming everything without Magic Guard or Ice type, so it's generally a lot more of a hassle than it's worth. I run Sunny Day Prankster Sableye to remove Sand and Rain.

If you're really adamant about making a Hail team, though, I'm sure I can help.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline spyhunter7

• Person who says NEIN!
  • Iceduck Fan
  • Hello, human beings!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:01 »
Nah, I was just wondering. I was thinking about a possible Kyurem set, but I figured that it wouldn't work, considering the weaknesses. Thanks for the advice, though. However, now I'm considering working on an anti-meta team...

Offline Earth Traveler

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 21:19 »
A hail team could be viable, provided some clever forward thinking is used.

For example:
If you lead off with Abomasnow, what's your opponent (probably) going to do?
a)send out a fire-type, or
b)send out Drought Ninetales, Drizzle Politoed, or Tyranitar.
Politoed or Tyranitar will fall to Wood Hammer, so you can catch them on the switch-in. However, your opponent may have thought about this before hand, so they will most likely bring in a fire-type. My recommendation, then, is to send out  a Quagsire (I know, i know, it takes hail damage) and use Ice Beam. I know you're targeting a fire-type but like anyone will leave out a fire-type against a Quagsire. They will most likely switch out for a flying-type (to counter Earthquake) or a grass-type, both of which are destroyed by Ice Beam. At this point, you can switch out for another ice-type or Abomasnow to replenish hail in the case of Drought Ninetales or Sunny Day.
If they did send out Politoed or Tyranitar however, you MUST SWITCH ABOMASNOW BACK IN. well, so long as they didn't decide to send out a fire-type, in which case you should send in a water-ice type with {Thick Fat}.
If, at any point during the battle, they send out a steel-type, you should send out Cloyster, which has amazing Defense and in addition can proceed to destroy the steel-type with one of the many anti-Steel type attacks in its arsenal.
If a Charizard/Moltres in brought out, wipe it out with Mamoswine.

So...yeah. that's pretty much strategy for any hail team.

Hope it helps.

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 21:42 »
A hail team could be viable, provided some clever forward thinking is used.

For example:
If you lead off with Abomasnow, what's your opponent (probably) going to do?
a)send out a fire-type, or
b)send out Drought Ninetales, Drizzle Politoed, or Tyranitar.
Politoed or Tyranitar will fall to Wood Hammer, so you can catch them on the switch-in.

Yeah, "The Weather Wars" are the main thing going on in OU at the moment - whoever keeps the weather in play is the victor. The problem is that Abomasnow is hard pushed to KO defensive variants of Tyranitar and Politoed - and on top of that, Aboma can't do anything to Ninetales.

However, your opponent may have thought about this before hand, so they will most likely bring in a fire-type. My recommendation, then, is to send out  a Quagsire (I know, i know, it takes hail damage) and use Ice Beam. I know you're targeting a fire-type but like anyone will leave out a fire-type against a Quagsire.

Ninetales often runs Energy Ball. :<

They will most likely switch out for a flying-type (to counter Earthquake) or a grass-type, both of which are destroyed by Ice Beam. At this point, you can switch out for another ice-type or Abomasnow to replenish hail in the case of Drought Ninetales or Sunny Day.
If they did send out Politoed or Tyranitar however, you MUST SWITCH ABOMASNOW BACK IN. well, so long as they didn't decide to send out a fire-type, in which case you should send in a water-ice type with {Thick Fat}.
If, at any point during the battle, they send out a steel-type, you should send out Cloyster, which has amazing Defense and in addition can proceed to destroy the steel-type with one of the many anti-Steel type attacks in its arsenal.
If a Charizard/Moltres in brought out, wipe it out with Mamoswine.

So...yeah. that's pretty much strategy for any hail team.

Hope it helps.

The problem is that the opponent is equally as good at prediction; Ninetales won't always default to a fire type attack against Abomasnow, as a competent player would switch it out.

I'm not so sure about Cloyster being ~The Answer~ to every steel type Pokemon, but Magnezone is a very good candidate on Hail teams. The most defensive Pokemon that will resist Blizzard are Steel and Water type Pokemon - Magnezone can handle both of those with Magnet Pull + Hidden Power Fire, and Thunderbolt for the water types.

That said, you would definitely need a Pokemon to absorb some Fire type attacks if your main attacking core is a 100% STAB Blizzarder + Magnezone. Heatran's always a good bet. <3

Just some thoughts~

Offline Earth Traveler

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 19:37 »
Whoops... :-/

Okay that advice was probably not the best, but I think I can fix it.
If you lead with Abomasnow, switch out immediately, maybe for Tentacruel (due to its Special Defense) or possibly Ludicolo. Neither is weak to Energy Ball, and both can learn ice moves and handle Politoed (especially Ludicolo) and Tyranitar and definitely Ninetales.

Actually, Cloyster has super high defense and can handle every steel-type with the possible exception of Thunderbolt Registeel and the definite exception of Magnezone (which it probably can't OHKO with HP Ground).

Offline Laprabi

• hehehehehehehe
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 20:13 »
Actually, Cloyster has super high defense and can handle every steel-type with the possible exception of Thunderbolt Registeel and the definite exception of Magnezone (which it probably can't OHKO with HP Ground).

Heatran? It can OHKO Cloyster after SR damage with Lava Plume.
Defensive Jirachi?
Ferrothorn?

Cloyster is mainly countered by bulky Waters and Steels.
hahahahahahaha

Offline spyhunter7

• Person who says NEIN!
  • Iceduck Fan
  • Hello, human beings!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 20:39 »
To OHKOMaster: Don't you think Ludicolo is more for Rain? (Abilities: Swift Swim (increases Speed in rain), Rain Dish (free Leftovers in rain))

Offline Earth Traveler

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 20:50 »
Yeah, you're right, but it isn't weak to energy ball and can beat up Ninetales, Politoed, and Tyranitar.

Of course, Tentacruel is the infinitely better option.

Offline spyhunter7

• Person who says NEIN!
  • Iceduck Fan
  • Hello, human beings!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 21:44 »
Yeah, until poor Tentacruel gets SolarBeamed by a Sun team...

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 11:37 »
Yeah, until poor Tentacruel gets SolarBeamed by a Sun team...
He's neutral to that, can't he take a hit?

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 13:33 »
I'm surprised no-one has brought up Kyurem.

It has the most powerful Blizzard in the game, and it can run a Choice Scarf to clean up late game with Dragon Pulse/Blizzard. It should run Scarf with Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse/Blizzard/Focus Blast.

And there is a team i've seen and tested that has really powerful things behind it. If you run Magnezone and Abomasnow and Kyurem, the team i'm on about runs two more dragons on the team, which soften the opponents team early on. Dragonite and Haxorus with Choice Band did this on the team, Magnezone cleared out the steel types whilst Forretress provided hazards so that in the end, Kyurem swept with Blizzard.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 13:45 »
^Joint highest. Don't forget about Glaceon. :p

Glaceon sucks though, so use Kyurem if you want a powerful blizzard abuser.

My favourite Kyurem set is a mixed one with life orb. Everyone expects choice so you can easily rip holes through weakened teams with Draco Meteor and Outrage.

The problem with Kyurem, and the majority of ice types (including Abomasnow) who benefit from hail, die way too easily. Abomasnow and Kyurem have weakness to stealth rock and the ever-present spikes and toxic spikes. Not to mention Close Combat, Mach punch, Drain Punch, Stone edge, Rock slide and the list goes on. So without a lot of support hail teams are unfortunately inferior to other weather types, especially sand and rain. That being said, it's fun to experiment with different weathers and I found it fun to use a hail team.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 15:08 »
It is also an easier thing to do if you have Abomasnow just to disrupt the foe's weather. Don't bring it out until Tyranitar/Politoed dies though, if you use it that way.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 15:29 »
^That's a lot easier said than done.