Author Topic: How classical is classical?!  (Read 4080 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline That Girl in the 'Roo Suit

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • WE ROXOR U THEN U AM CRY
    • View Profile
    • DA
How classical is classical?!
« on: September 29, 2013, 00:55 »
Now there's a question...

Which types of classics would you associate with literary "classics"?

How do you define "classic"? By age, or by timelessness?

There is, of course, the standard "classics" - Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist.

Then you have works from the likes of Shakespeare, Marlowe or, going back further, Chaucer.

And then you come to classics regarding antiquity.
Homer, Plato, Thucydides. Works of no known author such as Ancient Egyptian stories..

Which classics do you consider truly "classic?"
-~-
Well did she make you cry? Make you break down?
Shatter your illusions of love?
And is it over now? Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home?
-~-

Wolstenholme

Re: How classical is classical?!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 01:01 »
I think "classics'' defines books/ works that would withstand the test of time: ones tht would make sense to people in the future no matter how old they are.

Even modern books like The Kite Runner because obviously, some of the classics of the future are being written right now.

My favourite classic is The Secret Garden.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 01:02 »
besides for the one's Lottie and Chloe said, Harry Potter series is classic to me
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 15:49 »
I think "classics'' defines books/ works that would withstand the test of time: ones tht would make sense to people in the future no matter how old they are.

I think this is probably the best description, I'd also say anything that is absolutely evocative or representative of an era too. For example William Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy are all classics but they are ridiculously 80s...but being cyberpunk fiction they are considered classics because they perfectly represent that dystopian post capitalism 80s view of the future.

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 22:50 »
i saw chaucer in the OP can we all agree the best tale is the millers tale if we're talking timeless classics

it has farts and arse kissing and the olde englishe version of the c-word in it
           

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 20:58 »
Haha the Miller's Tale is pretty awesome. Have you ever been to the Canterbury Tales? They act them all out, down to the smell, it's pretty awesome. The big kid in me loves it
-~-
-~-

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 03:06 »
dang do they actually perform it?????????

unfortunetly im too busy in the sciences at the moment to have any fun whatsoever until my career happens properly/settles down but once the dust settles and i get some ££££££ and spare time at last i might see a version of it???? i've kind of always wanted to watch theatre of stuff i like so i can escape my workin class uncultured swine status

i didnt really do a lot of theatre watchin stuff while growing up (cos well what actually is there on the isle of wight for a bored kid growin up apart from tory yachties and coloured sands and a theme park thats slowly falling off a cliff, except for delinquency of varying intensities) and well then i spent most of the GCSE/A Level period in spain (to cut a boring lifestory short) where english theatre ain't exactly replete sadly

altho i probs shoulda made my post in this topic about how i really enjoyed House of Spirits (la casa de los espiritús) by Isabel Allende as a Classical Literature book cos i took spanish lit cos y'know how the saying goes, when in rome,,,,,,

blood wedding (bodas de sangre) was wonderful too the scene the entire scene w/ the moon and the woodcutters and the moon's speech i love it so much god bless u spanish lit even if the spanish language ain't too flowery and replete w/ ridiculous amounts of synonyms like english
and i also cheat by preferentially reading the english versions but they really try to preserve the spanish intent as much as poss. by using basic words instead of trying to flower it up and makin some really beautiful metaphors like in chronicle of a death foretold when whassername lets
spanish lit is dead good imo //folds arms rebelliously//

aaaaa the theatre thing the main point of my post right

in my adult life i must admit im sorta clueless about this mystical art called the theatre???? how would one go about watching someone burn a guys arse w a hot poker exactly

(this was a really long post whoops i forgot how much i enjoyed classic/contemporary literature even if some of them were boring as heck and they were all expaserated at how my essays were terribly organised [latent dyslexia whoop whoop])
           

• Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 03:38 »
It's like an interactive room, so you have the stories being told on audio and each room is a different story, with things going on in the background, so you'll have a pop up of a rooster being chased by a fox, thing like that. But it even smells right. The hot poker incident is done above you as well, so it makes you look around you. They really did a number on the place!

Oh my, Bodas de Sangre! I wrote coursework on that for my A level Spanish, absolutely loved it! I still haven't seen/read casa de los espiritus though, but I have seen bits of it. Allende is pure genius. I also need to get around to reading Don Quixote....
-~-
-~-

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 20:59 »
man this post of mine hella sucked
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 19:06 by uuuaaaghhh samir you are breaking the car! »