Misc > Role Play

PG Rule and YOU

(1/13) > >>

Ledyba:
Edit by Dragonpika: Remember, guys, this topic was created before the rules changed from 3+ to PG. Rex's post is still relevant, but some stuff in here may be out-of-date. Read this post, though, it's super cool and has some good ideas in.

I know there has been some debate about the 3+ rule, with some people considering it a creative limitation.

The point of the three plus rule isn't to limit you in your fun, but rather keep the site friendly for all audience.  Of course, the age old argument is "How many 3 year olds are on this site?" Because the next up from 3+ is 12+, and we have people younger than that.

So because of this we do not want to have places on the site, be it Role Play, or such off-limits.

The 3+ rule isn't as restrictive you might think.   Firstly, it is important to know we're not aiming for concept of a Role Play, but rather execution.

For example, a Role Play on Grand Theft Auto may be very well in the limits of accessibility.  You may ask, how can GTA, a game rated 18+/M be compatable?  Simply because of again, execution. 

If you were to remove, or find alternative to the elements that warrent it an 18+.  This is, swearing, drugs (perhaps), excessive violence, details in gore.  Just use your wits.

In fact, it might encrouge you to use more creativity.  One example Joeno gives is if you want to refer to drugs for your gritty crime guy, instead, use chocolate that's been outlawed by the government because of its addictive propreties and dubious deaths too.  There's no creativity taken away, but certainly some added.

Although, there are some concepts we probably wouldn't allow:  for example, I'd argue that a Role Play based on Hannibal Lector is probably not a good idea, because of the elements we disallow are so embedded into it.

Really though, the rule isn't applied as strictly as you might think - while we will be checking Role Plays and making sure we stop anything we find unacceptable, we won't be doing it without issuing a warning soon.    Alternatively, you can always PM your idea to an mod or admin to see if its acceptable by standards.  However, if you think its acceptable after careful consideration, its most likely, it is.

Our bottom line is not to stop creative endeavours, but make them so that anyone can join it, just like the rest of the site.  So keep this in mind when creating your Role Play - just take a look at the Black Poppy Saga, with some editing and changes, it was allowed.

Aslo, for the love that's green and good on Farmer John's Farm, report posts you think aren't following this.  We can't do anything if you don't report it and if we come across it anyway, it makes us a little bit more annoyed that no-one has done.

__Strange__:
As a dedicated roleplayer, I've never once had a problem with the three and up rule. The only thing I don't agree with though is:

--- Quote from: Ledyba on February 23, 2009, 21:42 ---The point of the three word rule isn't to limit you in your fun, but father keep the site friendly for all audience.  Of course, the age old argument is "How many 3 year olds are on this site?" Because the next up from 3+ is 12+, and we have people younger than that.
--- End quote ---

The next up from 3+ doesn't need to be 12+, neccessarily, does it? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not saying the rule should be changed, I just don't get why it's 3+ or 12+ considering there's eight numbers in between the two.

But yeah, I personally don't mind the 3+ thing, I find it makes people have to be more creative, which is pretty good. Off the top of my head, I remember an early 2008 roleplay about energy drinks like Red Bull being outlawed, and people played as "energy drink junkies" and "energy drink dealers" and such.

Webby:
I remember Holly Danger was going to make a Roleplay about Caffeine being illegal which I actually liked the idea of. I would prefer Roleplays be appropriate for younger users because I find them easier to be part of and read myself.

My only concern right now is romance RPs; is there a limit in romance for 3+?

Webby2:
Okay cool for clearing this up Rex, and we were discussing the point of this on IRC. I may do a GTA RP, but I am going to take away the extreme bits, but follow some of the story in a sense, how you are being paid to do a job and what not. I just need to think about it carefully and to make sure it doesn't go ott.

Thanks again.

Pokeapache:

--- Quote from: Webby on February 23, 2009, 22:35 ---I remember Holly Danger was going to make a Roleplay about Caffeine being illegal which I actually liked the idea of. I would prefer Roleplays be appropriate for younger users because I find them easier to be part of and read myself.

My only concern right now is romance RPs; is there a limit in romance for 3+?

--- End quote ---
Me and Her actually made that roleplay, but it never kicked off. I remember because my character had a very strange [But honestly REAL] last name. P= Which in all honesty should probably be changed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version