Misc > Literature

i am a fiction philistine, reccommend me books

<< < (3/5) > >>

Sebastian Moran:
I'd recommend the Old Kingdom trilogy as it happens.. as I used to read those 
though I never read any of his other stuff and I probably should 
but, er, yes 
it IS fantasy in the sense of.. next to our world there's a world with something like magic, but it's done in quite an interesting way. No elves or anything, though. Just necromancers and reanimated corpses. 
Lots of female protagonists running around being excellent if that appeals 
Also the Disreputable Dog is excellent |: 
so er Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen are the books thar 

Similarly a trilogy I read when I was younger.. The Wind On Fire trilogy, by William Nicholson.. I adored those books 
I think they'd count as coming-of-age but it is again slightly in the realms of fantasy... again, not swords and dragons and the like, and not magic either, it's all done quite subtly. 
and is amusing 
The Wind Singer, Slaves of the Mastery, and Firesong 

Piccolami.:
^ I also second that trilogy... I really enjoyed it!

also at some point there's meant to be another Old Kingdom book coming out but I haven't a clue exactly when

Webby:
Thirding the Wind on Fire trilogy, even though I've only read The Wind Singer so far. I bought all three of them about a year ago and have yet to read them. ^^'

aer_dingus:

--- Quote from: xhanatos on June 09, 2011, 01:12 ---i may have to give this a try
despite wikipedia spoiling it a little for me grr still want to try it though

--- End quote ---
that's great! yeah i think im gonna read it again this summer!

That Girl in the 'Roo Suit:
I've just finished reading Robert Rankin's "Necrophenia". I'd recommend it to you. It's a little heavy going, and a little difficult to start, but it's so far-fetched and ridiculous it's amazing. I read most of it on the train back to uni last week, and I was actually really satisfied with the ending. And I'm fussy when it comes to literature. (Although saying that, stick a Pratchett or Shan novel in front of me and I'll be happy as Larry)

I'd also recommend The Affinity Bridge by George Mann. I have the first two books in this particular series, and it's sort of like a detective whodunnit set in Victorian England. With added monsters, occult practices and a fair amount of gore. A nice portion, so to speak. I genuinely couldn't put it down, although that may have soething to do with that fact that its sequel, which I read first, is called The Osiris Ritual. Either way, both books are brilliant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version