Misc > Literature

i am a fiction philistine, reccommend me books

<< < (2/5) > >>

Piccolami.:
i think twilight would be a good series for you to read... the books are based on a real life story too

lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes:

--- Quote from: aer_dingus on June 09, 2011, 00:28 ---Transall Saga< one of my favorites and everyone i know who has read it has loved it.

--- End quote ---

i may have to give this a try
despite wikipedia spoiling it a little for me grr still want to try it though

--- Quote from: Mr. Dalliard on June 09, 2011, 00:43 --- 
lots of books

--- End quote ---

ooh
er
yes possibly i might have to borrow/buy some of those yes they all sound good
you've also reminded me i need to check out The Raw Shark Texts one day too
but yes give me all your books please

--- Quote from: Webby on June 09, 2011, 00:45 ---This this this x100
I've read American Gods and I'm reading Stardust, and his writing style is just fantastic. It feels like he's telling you the story directly rather than just putting it on paper. American Gods come across as ultra strange at times, but his writing style and imagination just blow me away. I won't pretend to be a big reader, but I'd happily pick up anything with his name on it.

--- End quote ---

aww yee this is what i like to hear definitely will have to check him out

--- Quote from: Catstorm on June 09, 2011, 00:58 ---Do you like historical fiction? They don't go into super fiction but instead take place during a historical period/event.

They usually are really good.

--- End quote ---

hrmmsmmm i am not sure
i'm more into future stuff then i am past stuff
the furthest back i'll go historical-wise is maybe the cold war but only if there's a good spin on it
or the noir stuff again
otherwise historical stuff i don't really do

--- Quote from: Piccolami. on June 09, 2011, 01:03 ---i think twilight would be a good series for you to read... the books are based on a real life story too

--- End quote ---

ah er thats quite alright i might pass up on that

~Evanscence~:
Try out Raised By Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. It's a pretty good book. I'm not much of a reader myself, but I did find myself taking down several chapters a night, so I think that must count for something. It's a fiction/murder/mystery with hints of romance.

rapidash king:
i need to read new books too... so i'm going to siphon some your suggestions. :c

if you wanted a coming of age/me dealing with life book, then Perks of Being a Wallflower is a good choice, because it fits those labels so perfectly... i didn't really love it because i guess it made me sad for personal reasons, but it would still pretty good if it hadn't made me sad.

a lot of my favorite books fit into the 'young adult/kids' category because they're fantasy type stuff. the inheritance cycle is one of those 'elves searching for the sword' type books that you referenced, but it's very well written, and i feel like it breaks the mold on typical dwarf/elf stereotypes. i feel like it's pretty unique considering it's theme, but they may be because i'm not as well read as i'd like to be. wikipedia has a good short summary without spoilers if you're still interested.

another good one is the Keys to the Kingdom series. There are seven books, each one named after a day of the week which is also a character in the book, and each one of those characters represents one of the seven deadly sins. the series is seriously complex, but still easy to follow when reading along. it's very engrossing, and sadly i haven't read the last two books, Superior Saturday and Lord Sunday. Lady Friday and Drowned Wednesday are probably my favorite books in the series.

Piccolami.:
^ I second the Keys to the Kingdom recommendation - I still need to read Lord Sunday but they are very good! Also if Garth Nix manages to float your boat then I also recommend the Old Kingdom trilogy too... I really enjoyed them! There's also Shade's Children too ^^

Most of the stuff I've read recently has been very kiddy like the Septimus Heap books so apart from that I don't really know what else to advise xD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version