Author Topic: PKMN.NET needs your art help!  (Read 25352 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
PKMN.NET needs your art help!
« on: October 08, 2008, 21:03 »
Yo people,

Similar to the content requests posted elsewhere, PKMN.NET also occasionally needs or wants some art to use on the site. This is the topic we'll use when we need something, but can't make it ourselves (which is Very Often in my case).

Some of these may be repeats from elsewhere. Shows you how organized we are. Leave a note here if you are working on something, so you don't do duplicate work, but don't claim anything unless you're actually working on it. While these don't have to be done in a few days, these things can't wait forever either and so if someone else can get something good done far faster than you, we obviously prefer that.

Here is a list, in random order:

1. Card images. See the seperate link for this.

2. A 'Major News' image. This has to be 120x140 pixels, with the text 'Major News' on it. Neutral, possibly light grey background, but that depends on what works. Should work with most builds.

3. Various section banners. These are described in this Mantis issue.

4. Several small symbols for a number of features, for use in future navigation. See this issue. Colour-wise, these should also be fairly build-neutral - black and white is not necessary, but light greys and pastel colours may work better than bright, wild colours.

5. Several images for new 'sidebars'. Can't show it yet, but I can give fairly specific limits. They need to be 250 pixels wide. Height is not set, but 400 pixels is about right. Most of it should be a fairly neutral background, that stays readable. The text colour can be changed if necessary, if it works better with a dark background. What I'd like to see in this area, if possible, is also a subtle watermark that is related to the information. This area will be covered with readable text, keep that in mind.
The bottom 30 pixels, height-wise, should be different. This is the 'header' bit, and should have the relevant text for the sidebar, as well as some decoration. No other text will appear in this area, so more variety is possible here.
To take Platinum as an example, it would be nice to have a light grey background, with a Giratina watermark. The bottom can be a dark grey, with a white 'Platinum only' text and, say, a Giratina image.
Please also let me know what colour is used for the main background - I need to use that elsewhere. Look at the Dex information to see the semi-official colours we use for some of the games.
A list of currently considered sidebars are:
* Platinum only
* Crystal only
* Emerald only
* FireRed/LeafGreen only
* Yellow only
* Japanese only
* Non-Japanese only (This needs a better text)
* Glossary
* Explanation (Sort of a generic bar - might be able to go without a bottom bar)

6. A small icon or similar that can represent searching further. I'm thinking a magnifying glass or similar, but this can, of course, be themed. It is intended to open a popup link to show a page where you can select one or more members.

7. A small 20x20 image with a question mark or cross to be used when certain images aren't found. Might have to be the small icon they use for non-existing 'glitch' Pokemon in the games, if that is not a golden Bulbasaur anymore. But anything cooler would be welcome as well.

8. A small image representing 'Edit'. For some reason we don't have this yet. Perhaps, as part of the same set, a similar 'Delete' and 'Add' icon. 20x20 again might be right.

Post images here, for collections leave a message here to send them.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 13:33 by Joeno »
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
Re: PKMN.NET needs your art help!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 20:54 »
edit: i cant draw lol
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 23:58 by Poison2007 »

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 21:01 »
As said in the initial post, the card images are described in a seperate sticky topic.
Peter <3<3<3<3

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Trainer Dave

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 18:08 »
Hmm... I could give some of it a shot.
I did start getting a few interface icon drafts together... But I lost them. Might have been deleted in a fit of rage, I dunno...

...although my main reason for posting is: Would you like the same person to do everything from certain issues? I'd assume you'd like stuff like the sidebar links done in a similar way...

...I might draft something. Heh.

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 19:30 »
While I prefer them to be consistent, yes, I understand that this won't always possible, either because it's too much work, or because I'll add the feature in a few months. I would certainly like realted images to share a similar style.
Peter <3<3<3<3

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline OMGLOLZORS

• (not actually a real scientist)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • well, it's been a while
    • View Profile
    • this is my tumblr
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 19:06 »

Meh... I had a go at some of it...
formerly known as OMGLOLZORS, i guess.

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 20:16 »
Equinox has also been working on some of these. (Probably would have been better if he left a note here). I like the bottom bit of these (the font looks nice), but the 'watermarks' aren't right. You're more likely to see the bottom area here, rather than the top, so any image should start there. Furthermore, I'm afraid these would be too visible - there's text over this, and too many contrasts make it difficult to read them.
Peter <3<3<3<3

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Trainer Dave

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 20:20 »
Ach... I did totally forget to add a note here. Anyway, it might be possible to combine the watermarks i've made with the above, the bottom certainly is much better.

I would post what I had up, but I don't have the time right at this moment...

[Eep]

Offline OMGLOLZORS

• (not actually a real scientist)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • well, it's been a while
    • View Profile
    • this is my tumblr
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 20:30 »
Yeah, I see what you mean Joeno... ah well, I tried...
formerly known as OMGLOLZORS, i guess.

Offline thatskinnyidiot™

• You know, there was a man that lived here once that had a prize-fighting kangaroo.
  • Joeno Fan
  • Behold the Stapler King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 05:43 »
2. A 'Major News' image. This has to be 120x140 pixels, with the text 'Major News' on it. Neutral, possibly light grey background, but that depends on what works. Should work with most builds.

Does this one I made work well?

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 13:30 »
I was hoping for something a bit more interesting, not as plain. At the very least a bit more of a background and a font that fits in more with what we use elsewhere. The 'PKMN.NET' is also unnecessary.
Posted on: 18/10/08 om 10:36:38
Wonderful double post merging... I slightly updated the request for interface symbols to also include a 'Report errors' symbol, as suggested elsewhere.

All submissions still appreciated. To respond to a question elsewhere - yes, we do need a site artist, but never had anyone interested. If you hold interest in helping out the site in such a manner, sending in art here is a great way to allow us to determine who would be suitable for this position.
Peter <3<3<3<3

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

master1

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 15:08 »
I've given a few symbols a shot. Don't know if they're of any use to you.

.Zip

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 15:47 »
It works. Bit different from what I expected. Going for non-animated for now, easier to work with.

There is one comment though - the Dex icon uses pretty much the same red as our bars, and as you can imagine that makes the icon less clear. Not great for our default theme :) Other than that, however, this is the sort of thing I like to use here.
Peter <3<3<3<3

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

master1

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 15:57 »
 :D

I feel all tingly right now.

I've lightened the colour of the 'Dex icon. That's here.

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 17:16 »
Yeah, that works better. Thanks
Peter <3<3<3<3

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!