Author Topic: Britain's First Female PM Dies  (Read 3352 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
Britain's First Female PM Dies
« on: April 08, 2013, 18:13 »
No more Maggie. The lady who was not for turning.

Sure, she managed to hold on to our biggest supply of oil, she let council tenants buy their houses off the council and helped end Communism in Europe...

But she screwed thousands of northerners out of their jobs...

Any thoughts on the passing of one of our most controversial PMs ever?
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Re: Britain's First Female PM Dies
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 18:34 »
But she screwed thousands of northerners out of their jobs...
aaaaand other governments haven't done that?

i've made my opinions known on tumblr and facebook because i am done with everything

british politics has lost a great light so that's all i have to say on the matter ok.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 19:14 »
I'm just having fun looking at the tweets flying around.

Her regime screwed over my dad's family so I guess he's happy she's gone. lol.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 21:45 »
A person has died.

That's all I see it as. Had I lived through the 80s to be personal witness to how badly she screwed the poor over then I might be less sympathetic.

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 14:03 »
Saw this on FB which kinda sums up my feelings:

Just saw a news report where a Labour politician suggested that a tea party organised for the day of Thatcher's funeral in Toxteth in Liverpool was unnecessarily "cruel and vindictive". I take it he never read how her government secretly suggested they shouldn't waste public money on the 'stony ground' of Merseyside, saying it would be like 'trying to make water flow uphill' and the then Chancellor Sir Geoffrey Howe's urgings to consider a policy of 'managed decline' for the city?

I for one thought she was evil. People might disagree with that but that's my view. No, I wasn't an adult living through hardship in the 80s but I'm an adult living now in a world of corporate greed and privatisation, inculcated by her regime of "individualism" which I fundamentally disagree with. I can't deny that she created a legacy and was a strong woman. It's just unfortunate in my eyes that she was wired all wrong...

I can't say much about the "evil" part- like the poster I was in nappies during the latter half of her time in power so it's not like I remember anything. But, like, the poster, I am an adult living in a country where we are seeing the fallout from some of the things that happened then, for example, the right to buy policy. Now I'm sure it was a great idea then but now there's a severe lack of social housing for those who need it because those who had it before, and of course needed it then, own it all and aren't for letting it go.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 14:11 by Clairefable »

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 14:58 »
I think what has kind of annoyed me about the whole situation is how people are so quick to say how much of a ~good politician~ she was.

I think people need to realize that politics is not some kind of trifling TV game show where it doesn't really matter what happens and that the contestants should be rewarded for how stubborn they are or how much they managed to blame on the other team, it has a real influence on real lives and often destroys lives and livelihoods in the process. This isn't a spectator sport, nobody cares about your 'policies' when the streets are like cardboard city because people have nowhere to live.

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 15:14 »
I think what has kind of annoyed me about the whole situation is how people are so quick to say how much of a ~good politician~ she was.

I feel the same about how everyone is suddenly jumping on her, saying how much of a "bad politician" she was.

She took her criticism when she was alive. We knew she made mistakes before she died. So why do people feel the need to parade around and condemn her when she is dead, and unable to defend herself? She was human, and she made mistakes. And even now, she is as human as the rest of us. Let the poor woman rest in peace. People can have their opinions, but I think it's wrong for them to scream to the world through social media that she was a disgusting person. She did things that were both good and bad. Love her, hate her, I don't care. Just don't spread vile messages about her when she is no longer capable of hearing them. Don't hold her accountable in death for things she did when alive.

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 15:30 »
I feel the same about how everyone is suddenly jumping on her, saying how much of a "bad politician" she was.

She took her criticism when she was alive. We knew she made mistakes before she died. So why do people feel the need to parade around and condemn her when she is dead, and unable to defend herself? She was human, and she made mistakes. And even now, she is as human as the rest of us. Let the poor woman rest in peace. People can have their opinions, but I think it's wrong for them to scream to the world through social media that she was a disgusting person. She did things that were both good and bad. Love her, hate her, I don't care. Just don't spread vile messages about her when she is no longer capable of hearing them. Don't hold her accountable in death for things she did when alive.

That's just silly though, it doesn't matter whether she is alive or dead. She did bad things and was generally considered by most to be a completely destructive force on Britain. Are you saying that we're not allowed to criticize Hitler because he's dead and can't defend himself?

People died under Thatcher's regime because of Thatcher's regime. If this happened in a 3rd world country there would be smear campaigns and calls for execution, but because it happened under the guise of capitalism, it's suddenly okay and we shouldn't be angry about it?

People have been 'jumping on her' since she was in power, nothing has changed from when she was alive to when she died. Sorry but being dead doesn't magically protect you from criticism just because you're dead.

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 17:56 »
i wonder if she'll have a private funeral funded entirely out of her own pocket cos if she doesn't it'd be hypocrisy to say the least she should pull herself up by the bootstraps and organise her own funeral

i've made my opinions known on tumblr and facebook because i am done with everything

british politics has lost a great light so that's all i have to say on the matter ok.

were you even alive when thatcher was in power

additionally what are your thoughts on the fact that she let Section 28 happen

if ive read this wrong and you dont like thatcher then disregard but im not sure how i can misread what is basically "i liked thatcher"
           

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 10:05 »
i wonder if she'll have a private funeral funded entirely out of her own pocket cos if she doesn't it'd be hypocrisy to say the least she should pull herself up by the bootstraps and organise her own funeral

Nope, it's partially state funded at least, with security costs in the millions. The woman that privatised a massive chunk of the country wants the state to fork out for her funeral, why am I not surprised.

She did say no to a flypast as it was a waste of money though, how frugal of her.

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 18:50 »

Nope. If you think this government is a bunch of idiots, it's nothing compared to what she did.

However. She got stuff done, instead of pussyfooting around.

She did say no to a flypast as it was a waste of money though, how frugal of her

If I was having a funeral with full military honours I wouldn't want one either. Because I wouldn't be able to watch it.
[Three Word Rule]

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 18:33 »
However. She got stuff done, instead of pussyfooting around.

so did stalin
           

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 21:44 »
And with 100% less genocide :D
[Three Word Rule]

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 22:15 »
And with 100% less genocide :D

well she didn't like argentinians very much
           

Offline Lorem Ipsum

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 01:43 »
I think Thatcher made several mistakes but overall her contribution was good. What I will say though is that the argument that people who were not around during her time in office are unable to have an opinion is a poor one: by that logic none of us are allowed to disagree with Hitler, or have an opinion on Stalin, or even study history at all, because "we weren't there".