Author Topic: This website is dead  (Read 15161 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline not chloe

• Mulholland Fan
  • never more than 3 hours away from public meltdown
    • View Profile
Re: This website is dead
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 16:38 »
I kinda wish that too tbh, because they could start rp's up and I wouldn't have to wait half a year for a new idea to come to me and it sit unused until then. Plus it's fun.

With regards to this, I have an RP in the pipeline atm. Might not appear until Monday but idk. Keep an eye out.
Credit to Inferna for the teacup Chatot
surPrISE

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 17:07 »
I only wish the art forums and role play had the same amount of people going in and out that it used to!

ive tried a few times to get the art boards going but i dont think theres a lot of artists on site any more
and the ones that are here are too self deprecating to post their work.

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 17:30 »
Until just monday? Please, i've waited months for ideas and motivation to write a starter out. I can wait a couple of days.  ^.^
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 06:09 »
ive tried a few times to get the art boards going but i dont think theres a lot of artists on site any more
and the ones that are here are too self deprecating to post their work.

dude honestly i would l o v e anyone posting their stuff if they have even a slight interest. i should post more of the stuff that i get stricken to draw but scanning and cameras just seems like such a force at times and i don't do enough online work anymore

and im mirin' that role play

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 19:54 »
I think as with any successful thing there was some luck involved in this site's golden age. I think it was the right size and attracted similar types of people, whereas the bigger Pokemon forums often had a community that was too sporadic for its own good. You can discuss Pokemon there, but there's not the same community feeling.

The way I see it is that this site is never going to be as big as the other sites. Even if we were to have the same level of content as the toilet seat, other people would still go there out of habit. What I think would be good however is if we could somehow extend the community of the site to an extent. An official PKMN.NET Steam group, tumblr, twitter and/or presence on Twitch/YouTube would be cool. I know we still have the account on YT but it'd be cool if there was some way we could get different members of the community to livestream games on it and stuff.

I guess you could also do the streaming thing for the artists on the site too. I'm no artist but I'm guessing Oekakis are no longer used and everyone streams their drawing sessions using something.

And finally I would love to see the site get a visual rehaul. I'm not saying we should go all flat and material design, but the drop shadow effects are very 2004.

Anyone else want to throw some ideas at the wall and see what sticks? Anything that relies on an external service is going to be preferable as Joeno won't have time to write some kind of intuitive streaming platform or something from scratch.

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 20:53 »
I guess you could also do the streaming thing for the artists on the site too. I'm no artist but I'm guessing Oekakis are no longer used and everyone streams their drawing sessions using something.
I know a decent amount of artists stream their drawing stuff on Twitch, as long as it's video game related they usually let you carry on and do it.

If anyone wants to get into streaming of any sort and wants help getting started let me know, I'd be happy to help anyone get their stuff setup and ready to go.

I agree with the rest of the extending the community stuff Turner said too, I don't imagine it'd be too hard to find someone willing to run a Twitter/Tumblr but then I guess it's down to who would you feel comfortable letting do it since it'll obviously reflect on the site itself.
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline not chloe

• Mulholland Fan
  • never more than 3 hours away from public meltdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 21:17 »
If we ever decide to do a Twitter account I could definitely take some sort of leading role because my friends have in the past referred to me as "the Queen of Twitter" lmao

Seriously though, I run the Twitter for my Dad's business too, I'm sure I could take on another. That's an 'if' though haha.
Credit to Inferna for the teacup Chatot
surPrISE

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 22:23 »

depends on the artist. i hate streaming lol i mostly do it for a very small group of people i like.
but yeah oekakis have been dead for like 5 years now sadly. those that arent are generally bad community wise.

i guess id stream for pkmn.net but idk whod be interested in watching me do fanart lol

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 22:37 »
I think generally there are a couple of ways of doing streaming, it could either be a routine 'show' based thing or something more free-for-all.

If we were to do pre-planned shows then it has the advantage of the audience knowing when it will be watched, but presents an issue with consistency and getting people to commit to streaming at a certain time regularly, not to mention the time difference between posters and also watchers could be problematic.

The only other way I can see around this would be to share the account and have authorized streamers jump on whenever and announce through the twitter or something first. I'm almost certain that twitch provides some means of advertising that a stream is underway via social media etc. but it'd be even better if it had some kind of multi-user channel or something. I don't know much at all about twitch though so if anyone wants to fill us in on that then feel free.

I guess twitch would be comprised of everything from nuzlocke runs, livestream drawings, to competitive strategies etc. If there is some kind of multi-channel thing it wouldn't be long before other videogames are included too, but if we ended up sharing an 'official' account then I guess it'd be best to keep it all Pokemon related.

As for tumblr and twitter, I guess the issue there is what content would get posted. I imagine they'd be a combination of site goings-on and aggregated Pokemon stuff. Both fairly easy to do, tumblr is probably easier given that there are less limitations and easier ways of reblogging poster's art as I imagine they're likely to post it on tumblr first.

All of this will of course have to be ran past Joeno first, I'm pretty sure everyone here knows we can't do anything official without his word, maybe we can start a separate thread and summon him when we have a clearer idea of what we're doing.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 22:50 »
Honestly, this all sounds great. Only problem is I wouldn't really be able to do livestreams and fanart (for many reason). If we did a YouTube channel (not sure if we have, I think we have), and if it's possible (not sure if it is), I could do some smash/XY or ORAS battles and the replays could be saved by the other person and then uploaded onto the channel. Not sure if that's possible, but I can battle other people for content. I just can't upload it to the channel. As for Tumblr, I can write out some articles and PM it to someone who can post it on Tumblr and stuff.

Basically, I can might be able to generate content, but anything that actually involves livestreaming and uploading it myself is beyond me.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 23:25 »
I'm almost certain that twitch provides some means of advertising that a stream is underway via social media etc. but it'd be even better if it had some kind of multi-user channel or something.

You can automate it to have Twitch send out a tweet with the current stream title when you go live, yeah. You'd have to make sure the title was changed before going live for it to reflect current content but it's pretty simple to change the title.

If there is some kind of multi-channel thing it wouldn't be long before other videogames are included too, but if we ended up sharing an 'official' account then I guess it'd be best to keep it all Pokemon related.

In terms of multi-channel aggregates or whatever, there are "teams" on Twitch where you can basically gather a bunch of streams under one brand (CLG as an example). I'm not 100% on how you go about creating a team though. It might be linked to subscriptions? I can look into it though.

Otherwise sharing an account is really simple since all you need is the stream key to broadcast to a channel, and I guess the username and password if you wanted to type in the chat using the channel name, which in this case I assume would be pkmnnet or something.
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 19:34 »
Yeah it looks like teams require you to be a 'partner' of Twitch, which basically means meeting arbitrary subscriber numbers and stuff. Probably too much work.

Sharing the stream key sounds like a good idea, if the worst came to the worst and it fell into the wrong hands it looks like it's easy for the person with the account to expire it, whereas someone changing passwords would force us to jump through hoops that could be problematic. I think the benefit of this is that you can use the stream key across multiple devices, so you can have people with different consoles using the stream key.

If you know anything about sharing a stream key then that'd be helpful, I don't have any twitch supported consoles to really try it on but you could set up a dummy account or something and see how easy it is for one person to stream and then the stream to move to another person with the same key. We don't want to find ourselves in a situation where someone is streaming their thing and then suddenly the stream changes its source as someone forgets they've got it on their console and starts streaming GTA or something.

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 19:43 »
If you know anything about sharing a stream key then that'd be helpful, I don't have any twitch supported consoles to really try it on but you could set up a dummy account or something and see how easy it is for one person to stream and then the stream to move to another person with the same key. We don't want to find ourselves in a situation where someone is streaming their thing and then suddenly the stream changes its source as someone forgets they've got it on their console and starts streaming GTA or something.
Stream keys are just strings of text you put into streaming software that tells it what channel to stream to basically. You can find it on your Twitch Dashboard under the Stream Key setting, or you can add authorized broadcasters to a channel which will e-mail them the stream key.

Switching between streamers works by a system of "whoever went live most recently is the stream being broadcast", at least last time I checked. So if I was streaming, and you went live, it would switch to you streaming without any sort of warning or prompting, so it would be important that users checked the channel before they went live. I don't think there's any way around this happening either, unless it's a recent development.

as an example, a twitch stream key looks something like live_30945977_77ZBLHRFs9ymcSbISChHHRd (i've taken a few characters off the end so no one hijacks my twitch). I've never streamed via a console like PS4 or Xbox One, so I don't know if that uses a stream key or account system.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 19:49 by Del »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 22:14 »
Stream keys are just strings of text you put into streaming software that tells it what channel to stream to basically. You can find it on your Twitch Dashboard under the Stream Key setting, or you can add authorized broadcasters to a channel which will e-mail them the stream key.

Switching between streamers works by a system of "whoever went live most recently is the stream being broadcast", at least last time I checked. So if I was streaming, and you went live, it would switch to you streaming without any sort of warning or prompting, so it would be important that users checked the channel before they went live. I don't think there's any way around this happening either, unless it's a recent development.

as an example, a twitch stream key looks something like live_30945977_77ZBLHRFs9ymcSbISChHHRd (i've taken a few characters off the end so no one hijacks my twitch). I've never streamed via a console like PS4 or Xbox One, so I don't know if that uses a stream key or account system.

Streaming via a console requires you to log into your twitch account via the console. Or at least that's what I remember. I stream using the Xbone occasionally

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 02:57 »
If this twitch channel became a thing I'd definitely be down to do a show for it! I've been thinking about getting into it recently and this seems like a good way to get myself doing it :p