Author Topic: I've spent half my life here...  (Read 2928 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
I've spent half my life here...
« on: November 30, 2014, 03:16 »
So I turned 22 almost two weeks ago, which means I have officially spent half my life here...  I signed up when I was 11.  You guys don't really need to hear the specifics, I became socially better and a bit smarter because I started going on these boards, and even though I've had my run ins with everyone at the time I'm glad I spent all that time.  It's really nice, because I went from a stupid kid who hated just about everything with no friends to a man who's in a PhD program, has a ton of friends both IRL and on the internet (but still cynical).

I've officially hit 20000 posts as of this post, but I really wanna talk about most of the people I've seen that have contributed heavily to my time here...  and people who I miss and I hope can at least come around to reply to this.

Lottie - I love ya, wish you were around more and wish you weren't as busy.  I'm so glad you're into FE now, because you can finally understand what I had been hyping for the past 9 years!  And I'm so glad you still come around a little bit, even if it's not as often as it used to be.

Rex - You need to come into IRC more.  We've had a few convos via facebook chat lately but I'd love to see you with the group dynamic.  You were my favorite admin while you were here, and it's a shame you've calmed down a bit with the cows crap but you're a bro.

Bloatedfish/Mitchell - you're a guy I haven't seen in years or talked to in years, and it's really bad because the last couple times we've talked I was generally probably not in the mood to talk or whatever.  You were a pretty intelligent guy with some pretty interesting stuff to say and your presence in IRC over the past couple of years (where we were both going through undergrad) will be sincerely missed.  I hope you make time and come around.  I'll link you to this post on Skype to see.

Luke/Yoshi - lol my strangest memory of you is the inappropriate thing you called me on my birthday one year.  Also those late nights with a bunch of sprite and we just talked about absolutely nothing.  That was stupid crazy.  It's a shame that you can't do it again, because I sure as hell am up for it - I stay up until anywhere from 2 to 6am CST these days, which I guess is way after you wake up over in stupid depressing Wales.

Dan Dan - I really miss you.  Your incredible wit and comedic timing but also the fact that you were a calming presence despite everything.  I think that's the most underrated thing about you; things don't really get to you and you don't take things personally which lets you ground a conversation before it gets too hot.  Hope that made sense and I didn't butcher too many metaphors!

Turner - it's been 5 years since we were eternally pissed off at the state of the forum right?  I'm glad we've both calmed down, and I hope you come onto IRC more and talk because lord knows I don't see you enough.  You were always pretty frank but a good dude to talk to.

Bluffy - remember when I thought of you like my little sister?  Seems like it's been forever since we properly got a chance to talk, I remember we'd stay up late just talking and complaining about things to each other.  I hope we can start doing that again, especially cause we're in the same time zone now!  I'm glad you're not spending your life on your back!

Rob - this is another dude where we would just stay up and talk about stupid crap and complain all the time.  It was nice when we were teenagers, but sadly we're both too busy to keep that up AND MSN is dead.  I hope you get everything sorted out and you can come back and post more and come onto IRC more or something...

Alex/CS10 - you were always a nice guy and I remember when we were talking a bit back you hadn't changed a bit.  It was a nice talk even though it was late for me and I was just rambling.

Kay - what the hell happened to you too?  You're never around either, but you're posting on facebook about stuff that I may or may know about AND I'm happy to see that you've played Radiant Historia.  I've never seen someone on this forum more positive than you (at least not that I recall) and it's definitely something nice to see.

Joeno - I'm sorry for everything that happened a while back and I don't think any of us were right.  I'm glad I've earned enough trust from this place to manage IRC, and it's really cool to see IRC flourishing again.  I think I speak for a lot of us when I say we really appreciate the work you've put into this place, even if we've butted heads a lot in the past.

Del - I don't think we really knew each other that well beyond like acquaintances until this past year, but man you are a cool dude.  I think it's funny and entertainment for everyone else to see us just viciously attacking each other, but I'm glad I made you a halfop because you're keeping up with voicing people and you haven't done much of anything rash.

GL/KEROU/Alex - Man I really found you annoying for a while, it seemed like you complained a little too much.  Over the past year, you've improved greatly to the point where I really, really, really enjoy seeing you on IRC and talking to you.  I just wish you were noctural again so we could chat way into the night, but I think it's better for the both of us that we don't see that happen.

sylar - I really like reading the things you have to say, to be honest, and I may be one of those rare people that think you're a nice person but just a little abrasive.  I really think you can afford to be less short with people but it's really nice to still see you post on this forum, and it's also nice having someone who agrees with me that is much, much better at writing than I am.

Liz/supergrunt/Kpyna/whatever - Even though you're a New England fan and much younger than me, you're still pretty great.  Another person I haven't seen enough on the forum, but I'm happy you're in college and not screwed over by that incident a few years back.  You're funny and you snark at me pretty greatly, and you were also the only person from this site I texted at some point!

Kit - SO GLAD you're in the US, but the part that sucks is that you're so far away regardless.  It's a 7 hour drive from Maryland!  I'm glad you're enjoying the US, I'm glad I actually convinced you to watch a Ravens game, and it's nice to have another person here to text without an App even though we don't do it much.  I wish you also came around here because you had so much more energy than everyone else, and actually I take back what I said to Kay about her positivity - only second to you.

Brin - it's been absolutely forever since we've talked and we used to be really close.  Now, not nearly so much, but you've been the best person to complain to when I was growing up and somewhat depressed.  I know you basically don't have many ties to this forum anymore and you never liked Pokemon but at least you're on facebook!

Rikimaru - man you're a crazy dude, I remember our old flamewars and we somehow became friends out of that.  We had a nice exchange of music for a while before we both just parted ways due to timing and just us being busy in general.  It's a shame you don't come around as much, but c'est la vie.  You're hilarious but you're a dick.

Raph - still a robot but it's so nice to see you come around.  I still remember that really cool battle we had that went to like 79 turns and ended because of a Swampert critical at an opportune time for you.  It was even throughout, completely back and forth, and I don't remember all the details but I remember it's still my favorite battle to this day.  You were always a really super helpful guy and it's great to see you aruond.

Xagor - the other robot and it's also nice to see you come around occassionally.  Nice to see another physics PhD/PhD candidate that's as much as a nerd as me, because all the other people in my year aren't.  Hope all is well with you.

Maikeru - I remember you pretty fondly and it's a shame you don't come around at all.  It's been forever and it's a shame that things happened how they did...  I remember we'd talk about band at night and I just remember we really hated each other before we just became very good friends.  It's a shame EmpireIRC went down the way it did.  I just remember a time when vortex was the only server that was left.

Claire - It's really nice to see you around still, always a funny and interesting person to see post even though we haven't really talked directly in forever.  I'm still waiting for that sprite!

Tim/Enigma - I just remember we used to butt heads a lot and we always disagreed with each other at some point.  I'm not even sure over what, it was over some really pitiful stuff, but I don't see you at all and you don't respond to ANYTHING on facebook!  But you were smart and funny and most importantly gay which made it all round out.  Damn though you need to come by, and your post count is fake!!!

The Wroth/Sam - it's been a while too, and I'm still one of like 3 Americans on your facebook mwahaha!  You started the whole "pokemon first name pokemon last name" thing a while back with MUHEDicham (even though I realize now you said that because you pronounced my name wrong) but you're a bro, have always been, and I'm hoping to see you around on facebook some more.

I've missed people and I'm almost at the limit but I really appreciate most people I've met here and I just hope that a bunch of you guys come back even if it'll just be brief!  I'm hoping to stay on here for forever more and I'm hoping that we can bring this place back to the level of activity it used to have!
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
Re: I've spent half my life here...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 03:22 »
Congrats on hitting 20,000 posts here, and in grand fashion too. May you waste enjoy many more years here.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 05:55 »
Congratulations bud, just wanna add that you've been instrumental in what I'd call this community revival, especially with how IRC is compared to say a year ago. It's really impressive what one thread can do and I hope you get the replies you're looking for with this =]

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 06:17 »
Not sure congrats is the right word, but thanks for being such an important part of the community. We don't agree on many things, but when we do have debates I at least feel like I get a better viewpoint on an opposing side. Here's hoping you'll be here for many, many more years to come.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 10:48 »
Just for you:

It's pretty scary how old some of us are getting.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 11:15 »
I know right, I used to be the youngest of us and I got my BS degree this past May...

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 12:56 »
#ircgang represent

you're a cool guy bud i appreciate everything you've done in reviving irc and stuff

i'm not good at posts like this so congrats homie, hope you're around long enough to make another 20k posts

ur still a nerd tho :^)
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 14:04 »
*kisses hand and reaches it out toward my screen in your general direction no homo*

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 15:22 »
Well done man.

Now start a new account and do it again.
Slowly an old member..

Offline That Girl in the 'Roo Suit

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • WE ROXOR U THEN U AM CRY
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 17:26 »
Awwh I love you too man <3

I have four years until my half-life on here, seeing as I joined at 14..

I know I'm busy but I'll make some time for you soon <3
-~-
Well did she make you cry? Make you break down?
Shatter your illusions of love?
And is it over now? Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home?
-~-

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
  • Flailing with arrogance since 1990
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 07:55 »
Aww, no one actually hated you, man! Those are strong words to be throwing around : P

I'm glad to see some people, but especially you, still active after all this time. It's really nice to come back to some familiar people when your RL is a bit too hectic to be online much any more <3

No one acted like an adult "back in the day" and I'm ever sorry for my behaviour as well, lol. I think I've grown some empathy since then : P

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 09:01 »
Oh naw I never said anyone hated me, I said that I hated a lot of things haha

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 12:48 »
Two more years til my half life here. Joined at thirteen meaning mine will be at twenty six.

You're not the only one feeling old now!
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 10:56 »
Don't take it personally Muhed, I don't respond to anything anywhere, here, facebook, my phone. Either I'm cool and mysterious that way, or just a dreadful friend.

That said, a milestone as important as this one is a big deal, so I've dusted off the username so that I could come and congratulate you. I can't really talk for now, considering I've not been on in a year...or some....but when I was active, you were very much a keystone in the bridge that was PKMN.NET's community.

You're right, we seemed to disagree about everything - but I still had a lot of respect for you despite that, which I think is a testament to good friendship. (Let's not say what unanswered facebook messages is testament to. ^^; )

I think I will make an effort to come on IRC a bit more so I can catch up with both you and the rest of the crowd.

And I assure you, my post count is real. I spent a great deal of time studying with learned mages who could twist the fabric of code to create this insubstantial veil of "High Post Count." You're just jealous brah. ;)

EDIT: Seems my mastery of the complexities of the Codex Internetia was incomplete. The illusion has faded - I think you now take on my mantle as King of Post Count?

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 04:50 »
Hahahahaha there's a name I haven't seen in a while!  Totally understand not responding to messages and the like - it's hard to keep track of things when life is really busy.

and BOOYA I WIN