Author Topic: Name meaning  (Read 5534 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
Name meaning
« on: January 08, 2013, 20:54 »
y'know, speculation!

What do you think? probably plot wise, or even just a simple refer to the pokemo's shapes, but it's probably got story with that.

i dunno, maybe image people know this more about me, but isn't 3D on a X pitch or a Y pitch or something, if I haven't just dreamed this maybe it's just a refer to it being 3D.

i mean the logo colours are red and blue what 3D usually associated with.

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
Re: Name meaning
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 20:58 »
 Aren't there X and Y chromosomes or something?

Maybe the two legendaries were split from the same pokemon or something, I dunno.

Offline .~:Sly Foxx:~.

• SO, SO MANY THANKS GO TO HAZY FOR THE SLY BANNER AND AVATAR <333333
  • Sentret Fan
  • .:~I'm cute. Don't deny it.~:.
    • View Profile
    • How to Sprite
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 20:59 »
Well, I have heard some references to it being based around DNA, especially what with the new Eevee evolution rumoured to be around the corner, and I would LOVE it if it was. But then, that might be a little heavy-handed for kids, so it depends how they handle it. If it IS to do with the 3D then maybe that's a sign that they're going to be moving the game to make the best use of the 3D screen, bring about something akin to the Distortion world, really make you think about where you are in space. That would be pretty awesome too.

Either way, Nintendo seems to gradually be moving down the route of having the names mean a little more than pretty patterns, if the last pair of games were anything to by. It's an interesting little twist, and I like it.

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 21:00 »
OR MAYBE when talking aobut the new games to the staff the director uses 'x' and 'y' as people do for generic un-assinghed values or if the names are reallly relevant and the staff mistook it for actual names!!!!!

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
    • How to Sprite
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 21:03 »
... I will agree. I found it very funny reading through the speculation thread every time someone mentioned the unknown variables as 'x'.

SPOILER ALERT: The game is an educational game to teach kids the basics of algebra. Pokemon are now captured by solving algebraic equations before you can throw a Pokeball.

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 21:46 »
 I hope the third game wont be called Z.

Well... I wouldn't mind but yeah...

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
    • How to Sprite
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 21:48 »
Well, who says there'll be a third game? We haven't seen a Pokemon Grey yet... Though maybe that's because they couldn't decide whether to make it Grey or Gray =P

Offline Utack and Swampy

• "Generally, anything in the 31-28 range is fantastic, 27-24 is ok, 23-lower is no."
  • Fan Fan
  • Smooth as a Silcoon~
    • View Profile
    • My Art
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 21:58 »
Aren't there X and Y chromosomes or something?

That was my first thought, although now that I think of it, this is the first Pokemon game not revolving around colors, which are always reflected in the legendary Pokemon...

N was always blathering about equations, perhaps they're variables? There was a statue of some trainer with a Golurk and Palpitoad *shrugs*

Thank's to Blake... for the awesome sig!

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 22:46 »
Well, who says there'll be a third game? We haven't seen a Pokemon Grey yet... Though maybe that's because they couldn't decide whether to make it Grey or Gray =P
Depends if we get a Lengendary that looks like a Z.......somehow. ;P

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
    • How to Sprite
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 22:58 »
Well, you say that... A snake might make sense with the theme they have going. Maybe. Or maybe not.

Offline Ya-Yah

• I'm told I'm a
  • Mulholland Fan
  • Apparently aka YY now ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 23:03 »
isn't 3D on a X pitch or a Y pitch or something, if I haven't just dreamed this maybe it's just a refer to it being 3D

Do you mean like the X axis and the Y axis? Yeah I think there's some reason here, the X and Y axis would form be for a 2D shape, which suggests that a possible third version would be 'Pokemon Z', thus adding the third dimension.

But yeah, before I say that post, I was thinking about the whole XY chromosome thing too   ^.^

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 23:06 »
When I first saw this, I thought it meant you'd need both games to move your character :x

oops.

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid

Offline Normandy

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 23:10 »
When I first heard the names, I thought of genetics. With the X and Y chromosomes.

I also thought, given a possible third version (Z), it could represent the X, Y, and Z axis that make objects 3-demensional.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 02:06 »
Well on the Japanese trailer there is a double-helix (DNA) on the Pokemon logo...so I'm thinking Chromosomes, but I also think it's partly to do with the 3D thing too.

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 11:43 »
I hope everyone is ready for dose of speculation and terrible connection-making..!

I think that X and Y are the ancestors of all Legendary Pokemon. I know this theory will clash with the whole "Mew is the ancestor of all" and "Arceus is the first Pokemon?!??" but Gamefreak are no strangers to the get out clause of "it's different mythologies, different regions believe different things."

X and Y are related to chromosomes, and the DNA symbol in the logo supports the idea that this is about evolution (trollol) and genetics and what not.

What has also been intriguing/bothering me are the similarities Pokemon X and Pokemon Y share with other legendary Pokemon.

Pokemon X

Dialga - colouring, markings, body shape
Arceus - equine form, the 'hilts' of its upper body and neck, the gold antlers reminiscent of Arceus' 'wheel'
Reshiram - face shape, blue eye, flowing head appendages
Virizion - equine form, tail shape

Pokemon Y

Darkrai - colouring, white ruff reminiscent of white plume, blue eye, demonic appearance
Groudon - colouring (primarily red body, black markings)
Giratina - Wing tips reminiscent of Origin form's wings.
Terrakion - Horns are pretty damn similar

You could then go even further, (which I'm prone to doing =P) and suggest that, in terms of form, both creatures tick most legendaries' boxes: the legendary birds, ho-oh and lugia all share a form in Pokemon Y, while the legendary dogs, musketeers, and elements of the pixies can be seen in Pokemon X.

This would all be dismissed easily by saying that GameFreak have probably reused some ideas, simply because there are so many Pokemon - but with the themes apparently being genetics or DNA, as suggested by the logo and the Pokemon titles, is it that much a stretch of the mind to imagine that these Pokemon are the precursors to all legendary Pokemon?