Author Topic: Sun Donphan  (Read 1639 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline BloodRedBaron

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
Sun Donphan
« on: March 19, 2013, 20:50 »
I'm looking at using Donphan on my sun team as a spinner. I know he'd work well as a defensive pivot/wall, but he also has a pretty beastly attack, and the ability to dismantle Ninetales, Heatran and Tyranitar.. Should it be offensive or defensive?

@Leftovers (Probably)
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard

Adamant, 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Def
or Impish 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef

If he is defensive, then it will pretty much be the same as my Hippowdon, except rapid spin instead of slack off, and ice shard's priority over ice fang's (minimally) higher power.. But similar stats, typing and role. I'm just afraid he won't survive as the offensive variant.

Offline Laprabi

• hehehehehehehe
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Donphan
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 21:24 »
You should probably post the rest of your team before we make a judgment. It helps us see where your weaknesses lie and help you counter them.
hahahahahahaha

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Donphan
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 17:34 »
The offensive role is one of the best for Sun teams. Ice Shard is a valuable tool for them too, as you can revenge Salamence/Thundurus-T/Landorus-I/Garchomp and such as long as they are below 70%. Sturdy also means you will survive at least one attack from them, so you could 2HKO them with Ice Shard if needs be. Hippowdon is not a good idea, as you said you're using a sun team and you want Donphan on it. Hippowdon would be dismantled by most Fire attacks, and it also negates sunlight with sand stream. Offensive Donphan doesn't always need the bulk because of Sturdy, but Defensive Donphan loves the bulk.

Speaking of which, Defensive Donphan hates special attacks. Being weak to Grass/Water/Ice is bad enough, but Fire attacks will destroy it in sunlight with Stealth Rock up. The set you've chosen is a hazard setter and a rapid spinner, but the smogon analysis for offensive donphan recommends Stone Edge over SR. If you have nothing else to run SR on, leave the set as is.

Otherwise, both sets are good, but it depends on your team as Laprabi said. Donphan is a nice check to most Ice weak threats, but Mamoswine does what Offensive Donphan does, but better and with STAB. SR/Earthquake/Ice Shard/Superpower is a typical Mamo set, which can revenge healthier Thundurus and can OHKO Salamence/Garchomp (with some prior damage)/Landorus-I.

Generally, it depends on your team, but Mamoswine does the Offensive Donphan a bit better. Hope this helped a little.