Author Topic: Should I bother with any MD game past Explorers?  (Read 11227 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MonsterMon64

Should I bother with any MD game past Explorers?
« on: September 25, 2017, 16:15 »
I have some money to spare and was thinking of getting Super Mystery Dungeon, but I heard mixed things about that one. I was curious about the plot and circle gimmick from Gates to Infinity (which is like the most metal title for a Pokemon spin-off ever btw) since I tried the demo ages ago, but I dunno if it's worth paying more than I need to just for that.

Apparently, the general consensus is that Explorers were the last good games. Darkness was the first and only I've played, so if all else fails I can just pick up where I left off in that, but I'd really like to try something new. Also, can someone confirm what I heard about evolved Pokemon merely being a cosmetic change and not affecting stats in SMD?

EDIT: Either way, it looks like I'm getting physical copies if I get one or the other. SMD alone is over 14,000 blocks huge. Sheesh.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 16:40 by MonsterMon64 »

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Re: Should I bother with any MD game past Explorers?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 16:51 »
Darkness, Time and Sky were the last good PMD games, all the other ones suck

Offline GlaceonHybrid

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 19:01 »
Personally? Skip Gates to Infinity, but Super Mystery Dungeon was actually a lot of fun. It's not the most challenging of the PMD games, but it doesn't think you're an idiot like I felt Gates to Infinity did. It also brings a lot of cool stuff to the series, such as multiple islands, that I really like.

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 02:09 »
I agree. Skip Gates to Infinity. Took me literally a year to finish the first mission and I was an Axew and didn't even have a type disadvantage against Conkeldurr or Scraggy. Then I couldn't even do the second mission without constantly dying. It even got worse when I was looking at some stuff in a dungeon that Kecleon was selling and I somehow got off the carpet and that thing accused me of stealing when it was an accident. I think that the Kecleon should only attack you if you take more than five steps off the carpet. It's easy to step off of it.
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

MonsterMon64

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 13:41 »
Alright, so far that's one vote for Super Mystery Dungeon and three marks against Gates to Infinity. I guess that rules out one of the games, at least. Could use a few more opinions regarding the other, though, before I commit either way.

[snip]
I'm reminded I don't think I ever beat the demo for this game... but that aside, you at least have my sympathies with accidentally-stealing-from-Kecleon. I never actually did invoke its wrath (that I recall?) but it was always a concern of mine in Explorers. I take it they stopped asking if you want to buy the stuff you picked up? That's a bit weird. Hope it didn't care over into SMD.

Personally? Skip Gates to Infinity, but Super Mystery Dungeon was actually a lot of fun. It's not the most challenging of the PMD games, but it doesn't think you're an idiot like I felt Gates to Infinity did. It also brings a lot of cool stuff to the series, such as multiple islands, that I really like.
I'm guessing that's a post-game feature? Was planning to go in blind, but since you brought it up, can't help but be curious. And yeah, I guess if it's not Baby-Mode easy then the (lack of) difficulty shouldn't be an issue for me.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 13:44 by MonsterMon64 »

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 13:49 »
Honestly, Explorers were the last good games. I played GtI and while it wasn't No Mans Sky bad, it was still a slap to the face. I haven't play SMD but from what i've heard it's not worth it.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 17:52 »
Alright, so far that's one vote for Super Mystery Dungeon and three marks against Gates to Infinity. I guess that rules out one of the games, at least. Could use a few more opinions regarding the other, though, before I commit either way.
I'm reminded I don't think I ever beat the demo for this game... but that aside, you at least have my sympathies with accidentally-stealing-from-Kecleon. I never actually did invoke its wrath (that I recall?) but it was always a concern of mine in Explorers. I take it they stopped asking if you want to buy the stuff you picked up? That's a bit weird. Hope it didn't care over into SMD.

Yeah. As I recall you pick what you want and talk to Kecleon to purchase the item. It somehow stays in your inventory until you either put it back or buy it.
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

Offline GlaceonHybrid

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 04:27 »
I'm guessing that's a post-game feature? Was planning to go in blind, but since you brought it up, can't help but be curious. And yeah, I guess if it's not Baby-Mode easy then the (lack of) difficulty shouldn't be an issue for me.
Nope@ It's not, as too not give things away...you travel around multiple islands through the main story

You'll have to play to find out why though~

Offline sirimol2540

• Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 07:33 »
Thank you for your advice

Gclub มือถือ