Author Topic: Turner's Obligatory 'My Account is 10 Years Old' Thread  (Read 1943 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Turner's Obligatory 'My Account is 10 Years Old' Thread
« on: September 20, 2014, 22:51 »
Well, there you have it. 10 years ago today I signed up to these forums and began my PKMN.CO.UK adventure. I wasn't originally going to make this thread but I figured that you don't often get a chance to make threads like these and it's been a real ride to say the least. Plus there's so much I'm grateful for.

I started off on the wrong foot completely, I joined the forums because of IRC and didn't make a great impression there in the first place. I insulted Rex (Now a very good friend of mine) and told him he looked like Jack Osbourne (He did a bit though), I said I was going to spit in Dan_Dan's face and got kicked numerous times by Sentret for swearing. I stupidly thought Jas (Now Superficial Mycosis) went to my school because she mentioned hers had just become a 'technology college' like mine, so I tried to casually throw "PsyKoViggy" into conversations around my school randomly in hopes I'd identify her somehow.

I don't know where I'm going with this, so I want to personally thank the first IRC crew I knew of Mike, Joeno, James, Sam, Claire, Iceduck, Ant, Phil, RocketMember002, Kat, Rex, Jas, Raph, Mark and Dan all being there when I came back from school and accepting me even though I didn't belong. You all made this community so inviting and endearing and you were the first group of people who I properly felt I connected with on the internet.

I also want to thank Alex (CS10), Tim, Lottie, Kay, Rob, Mushroom, Brin, Pokeapache Connor, Jasper, Vicki, Faf, Barney, Xagor and probably loads more people I'm forgetting. I was never really in your friend circles properly, but I always appreciated that you guys existed. You made the landscape of the community so much more fun and interesting. Lottie - you were one of the first people to add me and talk to me on MSN back in those days and listen to the things I couldn't tell anyone, I always appreciated this so much because you gave me a presence outside of the forums and by extension stopped people treating me as being a random IRCer/forum user. Had you not done that, I probably wouldn't be friends with the great people I've met on this site and would have dropped off years ago. I still get a surge of nostalgia when I hear the Banana Boat Song. I still get a laugh out of the word boat. Boat.

Mushroom, if you ever read this - I'm so SO sorry for getting glowstick liquid in your eye. Even now I feel terrible about it, if it's any consolation I was always sad that you kind of left the forums because I still believe you would have made an excellent mod/admin.

Emma - Our games of Animal Crossing Wild World and Mario Kart were fun as hell. You got me into so many bands and you were awesome. Akari, Whiplashed, Frez, Kendall, Mightyenapup, Chandler, Utack, BloatedMitch, Movemaster, Sizacu, TCoZ, Veyka, Sappy, TSOL, Liam, Webbz, Maikeru, Ayla, Lit, Kristian and all of the other IRC peoples who I enjoyed chatting with so much. Sometimes we argued, sometimes we had the best laughs, I don't regret it one bit. You are/were all great.

Muhed - It's hard to believe that someone like you could ever go underrated but I think you have. You've been a solid force in keeping this site alive in its darkest, emptiest moments. I feel like we're on different wavelengths most of the time, but you've always reached out to people and never been afraid to talk to them. Not only is that an admirable thing to do, I think it's a downright nice thing to do and one that gets forgotten under the fact that you're never afraid to be controversial or disagree with mass opinion.

Kit - Not only did you and Nellie make my first convention experience one of the best and most memorable ever, you changed me as a person. I never did thank you enough for all you did for me; you got me out of one of the worst, longest periods of depersonalization in my life and taught me to be a part of life instead of an observer. I feel like you taught me how to have fun and I've never looked back since.

And finally Rex. You are one of, if not the nicest person I've ever met. From the moment I first met you when you picked me up at the station for the 07 meet, it was like we were insta-family. From there the adventures have been fun as hell and I hope to have so many more. I honestly never thought in a million years I would ever be friends with you 10 years ago, but somehow here we are. You've stuck up for me and supported me when nobody else has and I can't thank you enough.

For everyone else, I'm sorry if I forgot you. I know that most of the people mentioned above are older members, I can only hope for my 20 year post I'll be mentioning all the new members we have today and how things have changed so much from the good old days of 2014 when we're playing Pokemon Rainbow in our flying cars and spacesuits on the Nintendo holo-goggles. Thank you so much PKMN.NET, the members, the staff and of course - Joeno who without him none of these great friends, memories and stories would exist, unfortunately you've set the bar way too high - There won't ever be an online experience that can compare to what I've experienced in the past 10 years here.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Turner's Obligatory 'My Account is 10 Years Old' Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 23:08 »
Congratulations man, it's great to see that you've reached 10 years and I really hope there's another 10 to come yet =D

Offline Laprabi

• hehehehehehehe
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 16:45 »
10 years, jeez man. My account is 6 and a half years old and this is my first post in about a year. Anyway congrats man.
hahahahahahaha

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
  • Flailing with arrogance since 1990
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 13:31 »
I don't know where I'm going with this, so I want to personally thank the first IRC crew I knew of Mike, Joeno, James, Sam, Claire, Iceduck, Ant, Phil, RocketMember002, Kat, Rex, Jas, Raph, Mark and Dan all being there when I came back from school and accepting me even though I didn't belong. You all made this community so inviting and endearing and you were the first group of people who I properly felt I connected with on the internet.

Got a mention, yes! Seriously though, I think we were all there because we "didn't belong" lol. I do miss the old IRC crew! ;^; (Not that the new crew isn't great ilu all <3)

You were so cute and quiet at the meet. I don't think I'll ever forget when your goggles got you into trouble on the tube :P

Offline Superficial Mycosis

• Untitled
  • Fan Rotom
  • Pronouns: They/Them
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 15:30 »
Dang Turner, congrats on the milestone and, quite frankly, I've got to say a huge thank you for being here. I know I left and so I'm horribly out of touch and stuff, but ~way back when~ this place was honestly like a second home to me, and as far as I was concerned you were family. I honestly can't quite believe, looking back, how much some people put up with me, and you're definitely on that list.
Sorry for inadvertently making you look ever so slightly ridiculous at school :P
Also I'm always going to regret chickening out of that meet at the last minute, tchh. It really would have been awesome to have met you in person.

Anywho, yes, here's to another 10 years!

Offline That Girl in the 'Roo Suit

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • WE ROXOR U THEN U AM CRY
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 01:01 »
Awwwh Turner, that's so lovely! =] I'm glad to have you as a friend too, and here's to another 10 years!
-~-
Well did she make you cry? Make you break down?
Shatter your illusions of love?
And is it over now? Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home?
-~-

Offline Xagor

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 05:14 »
Always nice to see some of the old faces still around. Just looked and I realised my account is coming up on 10 years too.
3DS Friend Code:1676 3937 3524
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
http://tcgshiyo.wordpress.com/

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 07:52 »
Muhed - It's hard to believe that someone like you could ever go underrated but I think you have. You've been a solid force in keeping this site alive in its darkest, emptiest moments. I feel like we're on different wavelengths most of the time, but you've always reached out to people and never been afraid to talk to them. Not only is that an admirable thing to do, I think it's a downright nice thing to do and one that gets forgotten under the fact that you're never afraid to be controversial or disagree with mass opinion.
Oh jeez, I don't think I deserve this, but I'll take it haha love yah bruh, and even if we disagree I'm glad you don't take it personally.

I didn't see this post a week earlier because I've just been absent from this forum lol, but this was a nice post to read and I can tell its genuine.  Stay around though, you're a great guy to bounce ideas off of and I've unfortunately not had a chance to do that recently because our time zones are now way different (GMT -8 ftl).

Also, its Bloatedfish, not Bloatedmitch lol (sorry but it's not a post by me if it doesn't ruin an intimate moment)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:00 by Lord Raven »
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline dan dan

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 05:42 »
Waddup Turner hope all is well. Fond memories even though I only met you a couple times at meets. Those goggles tho....  O0