Author Topic: Team Building Q+A Thread  (Read 47088 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Reluctant Wailord

Re: Team Building Q+A Thread
« Reply #270 on: October 27, 2013, 01:29 »
That's where I originally went. I don't plan on using Skarmory offensively, more to set up and annoy. I have sweepers for offensive roles.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 27, 2013, 01:35 »
Still, many others will say BB is better. Besides, skarmory should be running leftovers. May as well have a better reason.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

quack98

« Reply #272 on: October 27, 2013, 01:40 »
BB does have it's merits, but in practice Drill Peck is usually the best. Personally, I don't use any attacking moves, but it's usually best to include at least one for taunt.

Recoil moves in general are rather detrimental to stalling mon. It's like how you wouldn't see Double-Edge on a Blissey (even if it did have a competent attack)

Reluctant Wailord

« Reply #273 on: October 27, 2013, 01:41 »
Still, many others will say BB is better. Besides, skarmory should be running leftovers. May as well have a better reason.

I do plan on giving it leftovers, when I can get my grubby mitts on them. At least my Skarm's female - I can breed another, if things don't work.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 27, 2013, 01:43 »
Any competitive battler worth his salt, as Richard and Blaziken would say, would go with BB.

Try the set out on Pokemon Showdown, only switching BB and drill peck around and see which one is better.

quack98

« Reply #275 on: October 27, 2013, 01:44 »
All you've said is 'BB is better' but given no reasons and no evidence to suggest why it actually is. If you're just going to say something's better and not actually say why, it's a little pointless posting it.

A link to smogon isn't really a way of saying it's better.

Reluctant Wailord

« Reply #276 on: October 27, 2013, 01:45 »
Any competitive battler worth his salt, as Richard and Blaziken would say, would go with BB.

Try the set out on Pokemon Showdown, only switching BB and drill peck around and see which one is better.

I'm not battling competitively, though. Just pubbing and a few skrimishes with friends. I can afford to cut one or two corners.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 27, 2013, 01:48 »
Alright, your choice, although, I'll weigh both pros and cons I can think of.

BB Pros:

STAB
Power: 120
ACC: 100

BB Cons: 

Recoil

DP Pros:

Acc: 100
Stab
No recoil

DP Cons:

Less power

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 27, 2013, 05:31 »
Brave Bird can ensure a OHKO on Toxicroak after Stealth Rock, while Drill Peck falls short. Brave Bird nets a 2HKO on offensive Conkeldurr after Stealth Rock, while Drill Peck has less than 1% chance of doing that (0.39%, if you're curious).

Brave Bird is more reliable overall because when you're using it, it's usually because you need to kill something or you're Taunted, but Drill Peck is certainly not a bad option to consider, especially on a defensive Pokemon. The difference in most cases is so small that it's not even worth fighting about, just pick your poison. For battles with friends, I'd go Drill Peck. If you're doing competitive, then you need to consider your team and choose.

Honestly, I'm sure this has been asked before but I'll ask it anyway. When one puts a team together, what is it exactly that one looks for when putting together 6 pokemon? Synergy to cover one another's typings is one thing but what else?

The way I go about building a team is:

-Defensive synergy (not only types that cover each other's weaknesses, but Pokemon that can actually come in on those types and not take copius amounts of damage by doing so)
-Offensive synergy (not only one offensive Pokemon can cover every threat)
-Pokemon with different roles that perform specific tasks
-A Choice Scarfer (at least one) is nearly essential, in my opinion
-Physical and special attackers, to ensure you're not entirely walled by either side

When in battle, there are other things to consider:

-Always view the situation from both your side and your opponent's side
-Weigh risk vs. reward
-Sacrifice things if necessary. This is something people have a problem with, but if a Pokemon can be lost without foreseeable dire consequences for how the game will end, do not be afraid to sacrifice it to allow a new Pokemon to come in and put you in a position to come out on top
-Study the metagame, learn what sets are standard, and try to predict what you think your opponent's Pokemon are capable of doing.
Discord - richardblaziken

Reluctant Wailord

« Reply #279 on: October 27, 2013, 09:54 »
So, in a nutshell, it's really down to preference, for me? I know for a fact the people I'm going against EV train and do natures, but I don't think I'm going to be up against anything with a particularly high defense that I wouldn't switch Skarmory on.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 27, 2013, 10:03 »
I'd say that Brave Bird is a little better overall, but only because you won't be using either of them unless you absolutely need to use a Flying attack or need to Attack in some kind of emergency. While Drill Peck retains Sturdy's usefulness, Brave Bird can actually put some force behind Skarmory's meh Attack power.

quack98

« Reply #281 on: October 27, 2013, 10:09 »
Tbh, the main times Skarmory is going to attack in OU is against Breloom, Conkeldurr & Toxicroak. Toxicroak is so rare it's barely worth mentioning, Breloom is OHKO'd by either, but BB will weaken Skarmory, and Conkeldurr will be 2-3HKO'd by BB (assuming he uses Drain Punch), but as he may 3HKO in return, it's usually a bad idea staying in.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 10:12 by ディック »

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 27, 2013, 10:35 »
Like I said, the difference is small. Ideally, the only time you'll be attacking with Skarmory is against those things, but that's not always reality, which is why more Skarmory run Brave Bird than Drill Peck, and why it has become the main competitive option. Drill Peck is not bad by any means, though, don't get me wrong. It's mostly down to personal preference.

Reluctant Wailord

« Reply #283 on: October 27, 2013, 11:12 »
I guess I'll run both for a few rounds. Proof in the pudding, and all that.

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 27, 2013, 11:39 »
And there's your answer.