Author Topic: #YOLO  (Read 6342 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline f3raligatr

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
#YOLO
« on: August 23, 2012, 13:30 »
"I'm fairly certain YOLO is just Carpe Diem for stupid people."
~Jack Black

Discuss!

09-07-2013 & 12-08-2013
beyond the suffering you've known
i hope you find your way
may you never be broken again

Offline Hicky

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: #YOLO
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 13:32 »
Robin Williams' message is the same nonetheless
I like Sqwirtle.

OVOxo

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 13:40 »
Getting annoyed by the phrase is worse than the phrase itself and it can be damn entertaining which is why I say it. In thins modern generation where hashtags are dominant over entertainment (thanks to the rise and impact of social media) a lot of things trend which seem immature but to get annoyed over it is actually ridiculous.

So I'm gonna keep on posting #yolo because #yolo is the motto~

Offline f3raligatr

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 16:15 »
If it is one of the best examples of the modern generation where social media has become so powerful, then I really do worry about our generation. Not.. not because it's a silly little thing, but it's about actually thinking about what it means, and living by it.

You know.. if somebody tells me "you only live once", "carpe diem", that doesn't particularly mean anything to me unless you actually live by that mentality every single day, which, good god, you should be doing to an extent anyway. In a way, it's comparable to those who get song lyrics tattoo'd on their bodies because it seems like 'the cool thing to do', mark their body with something that makes them look deep and thoughtful when they're just a slave for the trend as the next person and it's just a recycled meaning, nothing unique or really genuine about it.

I don't think it's the phrase that people get annoyed by, it's the lack of sincerity behind it, the inappropriateness of it's use at times too. Like.. I'm beginning to do more and more things out of the ordinary (or at least I aspire to) because I want to have a life I can look back on and say "I had fun", not.. "lolz, got a girl preggers, #yolo", which is more stupidity and cast-calling for the Jeremy Kyle show.. it just seems to be thrown around ridiculous amounts without any substance.. which I'm beginning to find more and more frequent in a lot of youth.

Maybe it's.. maybe it's just me. Hm.

Or that we're just seeing a well marketting prequel to the James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"..

09-07-2013 & 12-08-2013
beyond the suffering you've known
i hope you find your way
may you never be broken again

Offline Hicky

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 16:23 »
Getting annoyed by the phrase is worse than the phrase itself and it can be damn entertaining which is why I say it. In thins modern generation where hashtags are dominant over entertainment (thanks to the rise and impact of social media) a lot of things trend which seem immature but to get annoyed over it is actually ridiculous.

So I'm gonna keep on posting #yolo because #yolo is the motto~
You should be the psychological case study of intelligent conformity

If it is one of the best examples of the modern generation where social media has become so powerful, then I really do worry about our generation. Not.. not because it's a silly little thing, but it's about actually thinking about what it means, and living by it.

You know.. if somebody tells me "you only live once", "carpe diem", that doesn't particularly mean anything to me unless you actually live by that mentality every single day, which, good god, you should be doing to an extent anyway. In a way, it's comparable to those who get song lyrics tattoo'd on their bodies because it seems like 'the cool thing to do', mark their body with something that makes them look deep and thoughtful when they're just a slave for the trend as the next person and it's just a recycled meaning, nothing unique or really genuine about it.

I don't think it's the phrase that people get annoyed by, it's the lack of sincerity behind it, the inappropriateness of it's use at times too. Like.. I'm beginning to do more and more things out of the ordinary (or at least I aspire to) because I want to have a life I can look back on and say "I had fun", not.. "lolz, got a girl preggers, #yolo", which is more stupidity and cast-calling for the Jeremy Kyle show.. it just seems to be thrown around ridiculous amounts without any substance.. which I'm beginning to find more and more frequent in a lot of youth.

Maybe it's.. maybe it's just me. Hm.

Or that we're just seeing a well marketting prequel to the James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"..
I feel like as a generation we're trapped in a vortex of social media and we've lost track of what's really important too, but what can you do. There's still obvious traces of humanity in all of us.
I like Sqwirtle.

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 16:30 »
"I'm fairly certain YOLO is just Carpe Diem for stupid people."
~Jack Black

Could put it better myself frankly.

"YOLO" is like something your dad says in a vain attempt to appear "hip". Infact, the only person I know who says it is like 35 and has only recently discovered Twitter and so thinks that hashtagging everything puts him at the cutting edge of current trends, when really it's all a bit tragic.

That and I don't really understand why people are all like "lol you only live once!!111" like it's some new thing?

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 17:00 »
As a buddhist I find that phrase deeply offensive.

#buddhistsagainstYOLO
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 17:03 by RocketMember002 »

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 18:32 »
It took me so long to figure out what this even meant. I thought 'SWAG' was what is written on burglars bags. Maybe I'll keep up with the trends when they stop being so corny.

So yeah, 'YOLO'. Does this really need to be up for debate or something? I don't really hear anybody saying this so I can't say it annoys me, in fact it seems like a nice sentiment. I bet most of the people who say it are as dumb as a box of rocks though.

Offline Myth Maniac™

• #326, of the PUK Pokemon crew. Grumpig. ^_^
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Mark is awesome for this pic, classic.....
    • View Profile
    • Mah Blog...... Check it out.......
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 22:00 »
I love the phrase. The term "you only live once" is such a meaningful statement, telling everyone that they have one life to live, thus they should live it to the fullest without inhibitions or worries, taking every opportunity that's given to you with no regrets and no setbacks.

What I don't like is the connotation attached to it. I hate its current context on the intarwebz, mainly that you should just throw your common sense out of the window and act like an idiot since you should "try everything once since you only live once". I mean it's stupid. In fact, it's quite contradictory to the actual phrase, since most of the things suggested might end up killing your "one life to live".

Honestly, I just prefer the phrase "Hakuna Matata". Hahahaha.
Boo...

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 23:09 »
it was funny on tumblr about 9 months ago and thats it really

the rest of the world is catching on and you know what they're like they still think the trollface is the most hilarious thing ever

its a stupid word and if you use it you probably like meet the kardashians as well
           

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 11:16 »
just makes me hungry for rolos really

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 15:53 »
I'll say that I am annoyed with the phrase, not the actualy phrase, but how many people use it as an "excuse" of sorts to do stupid things that wind up putting them. I don't like the use of it, but if you think about what the phrase actually would mean, it's a good-hearted phrase.

Offline Sebastian Moran

• ᕦ(ಠ益ಠ)ᕤ Tries too hard
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Fan
  • the pride of roast britain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 15:56 »
i had no idea that people actually used this phrase/word as a genuine thing so having read this topic im going to have to have a little lie down. 

be humble,
for you are
made of earth.

be noble,
for you are
made of stars.

Offline OpallapO

• Rob Fan
  • Doing a Nuzlocke on Platinum and playing White :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 20:22 »
Honestly, I just prefer the phrase "Hakuna Matata". Hahahaha.

Yep, me too.
'What a wonderful phrase' ~ Timon and Pumba <3 Hehehe
Awkward :/

MRxo

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 00:11 »
Nearly ten months later... Still embracing it to the max. I used to get a lot of disappointing looks when I'd bring out my wristband haha

#YOLO