Misc > Debate

What is Art?

<< < (2/6) > >>

OpallapO:
I don't understand how anyone can criticise art because art can be anything. People create art to express an opinion or emotion that is personal to them. It is something the want to share with the world to get their point across, or maybe show people another side to something. Art has no definition or boundaries, so how can someone decide whether a piece of art is good or bad? They can have an opinion, but it is just an opinion, and therefore not right or wrong.

MRxo:
It's all completely open to interpretation. That's why anything can be art.

Sebastian Moran:
art is bunk. 

that above sentence is a statement on the current attitudes towards art in an environment where unemployment is high, the economy is broken and people listless: they feel betrayed by something and anything designed for something as "non-essential" as an emotionally invoking thing, emphasizing the rush of modern day life and the cynicism bred by the disappointment of society, turning their backs on anything which requires thought and pause without any direct, physical or monetary reward. 

That Girl in the 'Roo Suit:
Art is creation. The oxford dictionary defines it as:

--- Quote ---the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power
--- End quote ---

Typically, yes, it is visual. But on a larger scale, art is far wider. For me, art is the ability to express something. For example I would, to an extent, class history as a form of art. It is not necessarily the events themselves that is art, but the way historians record them, incorporating their own thoughts on the subject is what makes it an art form.

Baking is another one: translating food into something delicious. What you can do with staple ingredients to create something new.

It's a beautiful thing.

Kpyna:
Art is like what everyone else says, something that evokes emotion. You don't necessarily need talent to produce art, and just because I consider its art doesn't mean its good. at all.

gotta say though, some stuff i have a difficult time considering art if its blantant rip-offs of someones own work. as in, someone can not simply unearth a sink designed by someone else and then call it his art. it doesnt work that way if theres 0 creativity involved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version