Misc > Debate

The UK Votes to Leave

<< < (3/4) > >>

Lord Raven:

--- Quote ---I disagree with the assertion that the referendum result was largely driven by racism. This ignores and marginalizes all of the black, minority and ethnic groups that also voted to leave the EU. Believe it or not, over 50% of Sikhs and Jews in the UK voted in favour of leaving the EU. Anyone who cries 'RACISM!!1!1!' in the face of that is quite frankly deluded and racist.
--- End quote ---

did you just invoke the "this referendum can't be racist cause minorities voted for it"

because news flash: just because minorities voted for something doesn't mean it can't be racist

--- Quote ---I'm glad someone has actually gone through my post and has constructed an argument against it instead of just saying that it made them laugh or saying it's 'racist'. I'll honour your commitment by doing the same.
--- End quote ---

i mean i would've done it

but i had no guarantee you'd actually respond to it

Kerou 犠牲:
Whilst I wouldn't say the referendum was completely racism driven it definitely outed closeted racists within Britain. The amount of people I've heard say they wanted out solely because of immigrants was quite a lot, even from people I didn't expect. There were a few who voted out without even realising the potential of what it would cause as well. I think from both sides there was a lot of naivity.

It's happened though, we can judge all we want now but we can't even say whether it will be a good thing or not now until a few years have passed and the effects will come to light. Until then we just live on our lives and roll with the punches.

Spriter:
Since the referendum, and whilst oh boy Leave definitely wasn't all about the xenophobia / racism, it's shocking to hear of several incidents wherein "immigrants" (really british-born people of non-british descent) have been given abuse on the streets based on the vote to leave. Not all leave voters did but it's been on the up since the vote. Shocking.

If there is at least one certain downside so far, that's probably it. Fortunately a lot of leave voters definitely made sense of it themselves and made up their minds.

So in spite of the whole "young 'uns didn't half turn up did they hnghhhhh" thingy, could the vote actually have been extended to include 16 and 17 year olds??? Again stupidly low turnout probably meant doing so would not have made a difference, but seeing as how the decision will affect us younger people for longer than a good few people...any sense in that? Personally yeah, I reckon it could have been inclusive of them...but again, not many would probably have voted.

Whatever the case, it's all a bit late to worry. We have to pull it together for now.

also that vote wasn't legally binding so somebody could pull a fast one and start a civil war, hahahahaha poor joke sorry

lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes:
as usual there will be an Economic Backlash cos we decided to rock the boat at completely the wrong time and as usual its gonna be the middle to bottom line thats gonna suffer at the end of it all so i all hope you all got some savings handy!!!!!!! (what am i talking about this is mid-to-low class we wish we had savings.)

--- Quote ---So in spite of the whole "young 'uns didn't half turn up did they hnghhhhh" thingy, could the vote actually have been extended to include 16 and 17 year olds???
--- End quote ---

think about your typical uni student and now think about their typical track record for turning in assignments on a timely manner and the number of extensions they totally need cos me cat was sick and it was sooooooooooooooo traumatic like. now extrapolate that to something you can literally do in about 15 mins and even less if you do a postal vote and thats ur answer for why the youth vote is so terrible.

i really dont want to sound Crotchety and Old here but sadly its the truth.

Laprabi:

--- Quote from: Kerou on June 26, 2016, 22:43 ---Whilst I wouldn't say the referendum was completely racism driven it definitely outed closeted racists within Britain. The amount of people I've heard say they wanted out solely because of immigrants was quite a lot, even from people I didn't expect. There were a few who voted out without even realising the potential of what it would cause as well. I think from both sides there was a lot of naivity.

It's happened though, we can judge all we want now but we can't even say whether it will be a good thing or not now until a few years have passed and the effects will come to light. Until then we just live on our lives and roll with the punches.

--- End quote ---

Yup, sad to say. A lot of people voted on the basis that it would mean we'd "kick out those dirty immigrants", which obviously is not going to happen. Anyone with a brain knows that the world doesn't work like that.

Our lives won't actually change that much until the process actually begins. It won't happen instantly, it's simply not possible. There's thousands of pages of legal documents that need to be gone through first.

--- Quote from: Spriter on June 26, 2016, 23:48 ---Since the referendum, and whilst oh boy Leave definitely wasn't all about the xenophobia / racism, it's shocking to hear of several incidents wherein "immigrants" (really british-born people of non-british descent) have been given abuse on the streets based on the vote to leave. Not all leave voters did but it's been on the up since the vote. Shocking.
--- End quote ---

It's just the media playing up a few isolated incidences of drunk racists abusing people on the streets, once again due to their misguided belief that a Brexit means all the immigrants will be kicked out. Stupid people exist everywhere.

--- Quote ---So in spite of the whole "young 'uns didn't half turn up did they hnghhhhh" thingy, could the vote actually have been extended to include 16 and 17 year olds??? Again stupidly low turnout probably meant doing so would not have made a difference, but seeing as how the decision will affect us younger people for longer than a good few people...any sense in that? Personally yeah, I reckon it could have been inclusive of them...but again, not many would probably have voted.
--- End quote ---

I'm glad that 16-17 year olds are still not allowed to vote, and my reasoning for this is that I was talking to a friend last time who had gotten into an argument over the referendum in a Facebook group chat (a lot of these people were either just turned 18 or still 17) and one of the reasons I heard for wanting to stay was that they thought that if Britain left the EU, they would stop selling magic stars in the UK. This wasn't a joke either, which I thought it could have been. To me this is just indicative of the political ignorance and arrogance of this generation, despite the fact that we have access to more information that in any period of history prior to this.

The low turnout, 36% of 18-24 year olds, of which I was one, actually got up and voted. The voter registration process was painfully easy. If I managed to do it, so could all of these other people. Once again, they have no-one to blame but themselves.

--- Quote from: Lord Thistlewick Flanders on June 28, 2016, 14:09 ---think about your typical uni student and now think about their typical track record for turning in assignments on a timely manner and the number of extensions they totally need cos me cat was sick and it was sooooooooooooooo traumatic like. now extrapolate that to something you can literally do in about 15 mins and even less if you do a postal vote and thats ur answer for why the youth vote is so terrible.

i really dont want to sound Crotchety and Old here but sadly its the truth.

--- End quote ---

Yup, as a student myself, I know how bad people are at turning in assignments on time. A lot of my friends failed their first year, although none of them are on my course. Thankfully I am not one of these people and have never needed to ask for an extension on an assignment. So far. Let's hope that doesn't change.

Another thing, uni students who consider themselves 'more educated' than the old, and therefore believe that their vote should be worth more, disgust me with their arrogance. Education and knowledge are two completely different things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version