Author Topic: What does this mean?  (Read 2814 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
  • I play my games in French sometimes.
    • View Profile
What does this mean?
« on: April 19, 2019, 19:09 »
I've been looking at various things to build my own gaming pc from scratch.

On this particular motherboard that I like, it says it supports DDR4-3466+(OC) memory.

I know that OC means overclocked, but I don't actually know what overclocked means. I don't know if it saying that it needs to be overclocked to use DDR4-3466 memory, or that's the maximum amount of memory it can use without being overclocked.

Here is the motherboard I plan to use.

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 23:28 »
first things first; pc part picker can be used to put all the parts you want into a "build" to see if they're compatible, and there are also a variety of build guides there you can look at or just outright use if you don't feel like/don't feel confident about picking out your own parts.

overclocking is where you take a part and make it operate beyond the "stock" setting to produce more performance, usually at the cost of higher heat output i think? for the most part it's pretty safe to overclock as long as you don't ultra mega crank it.

i'm fairly certain, although it's not easy to clarify since i'm not much of a hardware person, that this is just saying it will support any DDR4 RAM up to 3466, and/or(?) it will allow you to overclock RAM to(/past?) that frequency.

since I'm not really sure, and I can't figure it out from a simple google search, i'd recommend checking it in pc part picker, and that ~should~ let you know about any incompatibilities the hardware pieces you choose have. if you still feel fairly uncertain, look at some of the build guides on pc part picker and maybe pick one of them, or check out logical increments, which is a wonderful website that tells you a fairly good (maybe best for the price?) build that you can just grab all the parts for without having to think too much about it.
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯