Author Topic: Flash Fiction  (Read 762 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline not chloe

• Mulholland Fan
  • never more than 3 hours away from public meltdown
    • View Profile
Flash Fiction
« on: March 05, 2016, 22:20 »
So I guess if you ever write some flash (prose fiction of 0-250 words) then it would be cool if you shared it here. // sharing-opinions-feedback thread for flash fiction.

So on an unrelated note my course are having a flash fiction competition and I wrote some little bits here they are/please destroy them:

Front Crawl Forever
You were always ahead of me when we used to swim. You were faster than me. Stronger. But you waited for me. You never swam another length until I was ready. But my dear, since I am and will eternally be the weaker of us, it is I who will have to wait for you to catch up to me, so we can swim lengths together in heaven.

On Igniting Romance
There are two unlit candle wicks and a match. The match is struck, a flame expands from its head, stretching out as tall and wide as it can. It flickers, but when held to one of the candle wicks it catches quick but steady. The match has fulfilled its purpose and is shaken out. The burning candle is held over the other, and while the flame often appears to split so that the two candles hold the same flame, the second wick does not light. The flame is held over the wick repeatedly, for varying lengths of time but the wick only grows hot and falters. Eventually the flame gives up, it is set down and burns alone, and soon it will extinguish.

Mainly want opinions on which piece you think is stronger or whether I should scrap everything quit uni while I'm at it lol.

If anyone else has anything to post they should feel free & definitely anyone who has never tried it, attempt to write an entire story in so few words.

Peace out.
Credit to Inferna for the teacup Chatot
surPrISE

Offline The Shrub Dragon

• so this one time i put milk in the kettle
  • Joeno Fan
  • uh
    • View Profile
Re: Flash Fiction
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 22:28 »
here is a piece of flash flash fiction i don't think its actually flash fiction it's like a sentence:

There was a presentation on
self harm
body image.
A girl ran out crying and
nobody followed.

thanks gl <3

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 02:03 »
oh man I love this thread idea, I'll start writing some at a later time and editing 'em (or links to them at least) into here. it makes good practice.

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid

E.C.A.M.B.S.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 21:53 »
The Four Seasons of Emotion

In such a wooded place, the seasons passed the same way every year. It was summer, and the trees were fully clothed. They were attractive and fashionable, one might say, with large leaves that captured light as they did attention and reflected the green, envious gaze of any poorly dressed onlooker. But the trees soon grew tired of all the attention and by autumn, they donned the color orange, hoping to just blend in and fade away with the sunset.
     Quickly came a heavy snow and the trees undressed behind the thick white curtain. They were finally free to relax and stretch their limbs after having worn tight clothing for so long. But this freedom would not last, for the sun's rays reached for the white curtain and abruptly drew it back. Now the sun had the naked trees exposed. One could see their limbs, bent out of proportion and flung in all directions, as if scrambling to cover their bodies.
     Mortified, the trees began to clothe themselves again only in the springtime, slowly and uncomfortably under the sun's intense gaze. For the coming summer, they would wear as much clothing as possible to prevent themselves from being so utterly humiliated again. But as the trees' branches swayed, so did their convictions.

~~~

The above is a little longer, but I checked and it's 212 words so it fits. I know that describing seasons is kind of cliché but it's what I could come up with at the moment. Oh and

Mainly want opinions on which piece you think is stronger or whether I should scrap everything quit uni while I'm at it lol.

At first I was going to vote for the first one because it's just beautiful but then I noticed the title of your second piece and reread it to really understand it. I think On Igniting Romance is stronger though I like both :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 21:55 by E.K.A.N.S. »