Author Topic: PG Rule and YOU  (Read 24153 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
PG Rule and YOU
« on: February 23, 2009, 21:42 »
Edit by Dragonpika: Remember, guys, this topic was created before the rules changed from 3+ to PG. Rex's post is still relevant, but some stuff in here may be out-of-date. Read this post, though, it's super cool and has some good ideas in.

I know there has been some debate about the 3+ rule, with some people considering it a creative limitation.

The point of the three plus rule isn't to limit you in your fun, but rather keep the site friendly for all audience.  Of course, the age old argument is "How many 3 year olds are on this site?" Because the next up from 3+ is 12+, and we have people younger than that.

So because of this we do not want to have places on the site, be it Role Play, or such off-limits.

The 3+ rule isn't as restrictive you might think.   Firstly, it is important to know we're not aiming for concept of a Role Play, but rather execution.

For example, a Role Play on Grand Theft Auto may be very well in the limits of accessibility.  You may ask, how can GTA, a game rated 18+/M be compatable?  Simply because of again, execution. 

If you were to remove, or find alternative to the elements that warrent it an 18+.  This is, swearing, drugs (perhaps), excessive violence, details in gore.  Just use your wits.

In fact, it might encrouge you to use more creativity.  One example Joeno gives is if you want to refer to drugs for your gritty crime guy, instead, use chocolate that's been outlawed by the government because of its addictive propreties and dubious deaths too.  There's no creativity taken away, but certainly some added.

Although, there are some concepts we probably wouldn't allow:  for example, I'd argue that a Role Play based on Hannibal Lector is probably not a good idea, because of the elements we disallow are so embedded into it.

Really though, the rule isn't applied as strictly as you might think - while we will be checking Role Plays and making sure we stop anything we find unacceptable, we won't be doing it without issuing a warning soon.    Alternatively, you can always PM your idea to an mod or admin to see if its acceptable by standards.  However, if you think its acceptable after careful consideration, its most likely, it is.

Our bottom line is not to stop creative endeavours, but make them so that anyone can join it, just like the rest of the site.  So keep this in mind when creating your Role Play - just take a look at the Black Poppy Saga, with some editing and changes, it was allowed.

Aslo, for the love that's green and good on Farmer John's Farm, report posts you think aren't following this.  We can't do anything if you don't report it and if we come across it anyway, it makes us a little bit more annoyed that no-one has done.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 23:01 by Dragonpika »

__Strange__

Re: 3+ Rule and YOU
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 22:25 »
As a dedicated roleplayer, I've never once had a problem with the three and up rule. The only thing I don't agree with though is:

The point of the three word rule isn't to limit you in your fun, but father keep the site friendly for all audience.  Of course, the age old argument is "How many 3 year olds are on this site?" Because the next up from 3+ is 12+, and we have people younger than that.

The next up from 3+ doesn't need to be 12+, neccessarily, does it? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not saying the rule should be changed, I just don't get why it's 3+ or 12+ considering there's eight numbers in between the two.

But yeah, I personally don't mind the 3+ thing, I find it makes people have to be more creative, which is pretty good. Off the top of my head, I remember an early 2008 roleplay about energy drinks like Red Bull being outlawed, and people played as "energy drink junkies" and "energy drink dealers" and such.

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 22:35 »
I remember Holly Danger was going to make a Roleplay about Caffeine being illegal which I actually liked the idea of. I would prefer Roleplays be appropriate for younger users because I find them easier to be part of and read myself.

My only concern right now is romance RPs; is there a limit in romance for 3+?

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"

Webby2

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 22:48 »
Okay cool for clearing this up Rex, and we were discussing the point of this on IRC. I may do a GTA RP, but I am going to take away the extreme bits, but follow some of the story in a sense, how you are being paid to do a job and what not. I just need to think about it carefully and to make sure it doesn't go ott.

Thanks again.

Offline Pokeapache

• i luv ponyz
  • Joeno Fan
  • Part of the Society of PHIL.
    • View Profile
    • XXitsune: A Kitsune Roleplay~
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 23:39 »
I remember Holly Danger was going to make a Roleplay about Caffeine being illegal which I actually liked the idea of. I would prefer Roleplays be appropriate for younger users because I find them easier to be part of and read myself.

Me and Her actually made that roleplay, but it never kicked off. I remember because my character had a very strange [But honestly REAL] last name. P= Which in all honesty should probably be changed.

Offline Superficial Mycosis

• Untitled
  • Fan Rotom
  • Pronouns: They/Them
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 18:43 »

like what?
i don't think a big sex scene would be apporpriate, no =P

Webby2

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 18:46 »
like what?
i don't think a big sex scene would be apporpriate, no =P

But I can't see anyone actually making a massive sex scene really, or even a sex related RP (GTA ones don't count because the aim of them is to get away from that sort of stuff).

I think mild romance should be allowed though, because that can be the basis for something though.

Offline Ledyba

• Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 18:51 »
The next up from 3+ doesn't need to be 12+, necessarily, does it? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not saying the rule should be changed, I just don't get why it's 3+ or 12+ considering there's eight numbers in between the two.

This is a policy thing, and I can't really talk for the admins.  Yeh, you'd argue I am doing here, but the first topic post is contributed by several sources.

Again, using our wits I think we can safely say nearly anything is passable, with the expedition of anything sexual.

i don't think a big sex scene would be appropriate, no =P

Hehe..Some would argue that because children are having children in some quarters, it doesn't matter.  But they're silly. Like you. <3

Pichu!!

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 19:49 »
Okies, I guess this would be a good place to ask about this being cleared up. With the sex issue, how is it restricted? Because I was having a little look at a RP on here, and it was HEAVILY hinted at. Like, the characters did it but there was a time skip, but there was obvious motions leading up to it and everything. Is that ok? I was just wondering... xD

Offline Ledyba

• Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 20:14 »
I'd need to see a few examples.  Would you please show them to me?

Pichu!!

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 20:28 »
Okay, well it's in ~*~Thauxan Rebels ~ The Despair Factor and the Pool of Fate~*~

Page 186

From;

Helen and Ray looked surprised as they both dissapeared, but they both shrugged and went upstairs to bed again.

Ems nodded. "It totally did, I thought someone was going to end up with something broken."
She kissed his neck and grinned.

To;

((Darn it lol.))

Ems started on her shirt, and pulled him close and started kissing him....

40 mins later~
Ems lay there grinning her head layed on Nathan's chest and her arms around him.

Is that ok?

Offline Ledyba

• Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 20:37 »
My fluffy cow.  Those quotes are fine, but there's things in there that aren't.

Offline Deoxys2

• Sentret Fan
  • In Arsène Wenger we trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 21:12 »
Also, for the love that's green and good on Farmer John's Farm, report posts you think aren't following this.  We can't do anything if you don't report it and if we come across it anyway, it makes us a little bit more annoyed that no-one has done.
Now, this isn't really the place to discuss it, but I'll say it anyway in the hope that it is fine. How do you actually report posts? I've always seen bad posts but never reported them because I wasn't sure how to. As in, when you report a post, do you write the EXACT post, or would you just write what you think they did wrong? Anyways, onto the RP discussion.

I think this rule is fine and I have nothing against it. But I do have one question: Could I have in my Role Play, some guy getting put in prison because of taking drugs? Would I be allowed to put that, even though I'm putting the guy in prison, so saying its bad anyway? Or is any trace of drug (bad ones, mind you) uses banned?

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 21:16 »
Look in the bottom right of just about every single post on these forums. Looking? See that link there? 'Report to moderator'?

Now, I know that I am generally considered quite intelligent (having had the offer to join Mensa and all that), but it doesn't seem that farfetched to me to assume that this is the link that allows you to, ehmm, report posts?
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

__Strange__

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 21:19 »
This is a policy thing, and I can't really talk for the admins.  Yeh, you'd argue I am doing here, but the first topic post is contributed by several sources.

Woah, don't get ahead of me there, I'm not arguing that at all. No hostility intended man, I was just curious.
A policy thing..I'm afraid I don't really understand, though. What 'policy' are you referring to?