Author Topic: Playing through Fire Red and Leaf Green to complete the Pokedex  (Read 4807 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
  • I play my games in French sometimes.
    • View Profile
For absolutely ages, I've been wanting to not only complete Fire Red and Leaf green, but the Pokedex too.

I've gathered a lot of resources to help me out.
Walkthrough - I can't get very far if I don't know where to go and what I can catch!
Pokedex - Knowing all the moves a Pokemon can learn and when they learn them will definitely help me a lot.
Version exclusive list - I don't want to spend ages looking for a Pokemon, only to find that I'm playing the wrong game!
Cheat codes - I'm probably not going to use many of these. The Safari Zone ones will certainly be useful though.
Glitches - Not all of them are for Fire Red/Leaf Green, but some might still be useful.

I'll update the thread as I progress.

The way I'll be playing
Fire Red
My "main" game
Storyline completion
Pokedex completion
Breeding

Leaf Green
Version exclusive obtaining and trading
Alternate choices (Other starters, Fossils, Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee, etc)
Porygon (Nugget glitch)

The Journey Begins
(Early July)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 20:22 by Petzbreeder »

Offline DaveTheTrainer

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
If you're playing a ROM on an emulator or similar, you might want to run it through a randomiser without the randomisation. Those programs can still apply useful tweaks like removing trade-only evolutions and porting later gen features to Gen 3 games.

Good luck!

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
I'm going to play using both my Gameboy Advance SP consoles. I've been chatting with my dad about ways I can go about it. That's why I haven't started recording yet, even though I wrote yesterday that I'd start today. Maybe my Canon video camera connected to my PC via a HDMI cable and OBS Studio could work.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 14:43 by Petzbreeder »

Offline DaveTheTrainer

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
Honestly, it's probably not worth trying to record on the original hardware. Those screens don't transfer well and you're more likely to just spoil your own experience. A phone running an emulator or using the virtual console on modern hardware might be better for recording.

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
I want to complete my Pokedex in all my games from Fire Red/Leaf Green onwards, then transfer them from one generation to the next until I have them all on X/Y. Fire Red/Leaf Green seemed like a good place to start. I want the summary screen of every pokemon to say that I caught them in the region they were first made available in. I will need to play them on the actual cartridges for that.

Though I could just play on my own without sharing my playthroughs, I just thought it would be nice to share it with others.
I have to be honest, Fire Red and Leaf Green are two games that I've never completed before (storyline or Pokedex for that matter) so maybe I should just do a personal playthrough, at least until I get to know the storyline of the game much better and learn where all the Pokemon can be found.

I wont need to keep checking the website I've been using while I play them then.

Offline DaveTheTrainer

• Iceduck Fan
    • View Profile
That's fair enough, you might still want to figure out how you'll obtain all the event pokemon. Particularly in Gen 3 and 4 there's a lot locked for events that never actually happened IRL.

I like the idea of transferring forwards, good luck with that!

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
I'm only going for "Shiny Charm" requirements, so the events aren't needed.

I see what you mean when you said about the picture quality the other day.

Not the best!

Edit: I've stumbled across another idea. My Gamecube/Gameboy Player and this on my pc. Many of the reviews say that it doesn't work with Windows 10, but that's where my 12 year old Windows 7 laptop can come into play!

OBS Studio (which I planned to use with the usb capture card) doesn't work on my old laptop and Windows 7. No surprise there then!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 00:23 by Petzbreeder »

Offline BulbasaurIsBest

• Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Playing through Fire Red and Leaf Green to complete the Pokedex
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 13:27 »
I know this post is a bit older, but I'm curious to know how long it took you to complete both of the Pokedexs. I've always wanted to complete one, but never had the patience for it...

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Playing through Fire Red and Leaf Green to complete the Pokedex
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 14:57 »
I still haven't properly started yet. Sometimes it takes me ages to motivate myself to do something.

Now that my family and I have properly moved everything to the new house, this is as good a time as any to start playing again.