Poll

Which generation do you dislike the most?

Generation 1(Red/blue/yellow and later Leafgreen/fireRed)
Generation 2(Gold/Silver/Crystal and later HeartGold/SoulSilver)
Generation 3(Ruby/Saphire/Emerald)
Generation 4(Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
Generation 5(Black/white/Black2/White2)
Generation 6(X/Y)

Author Topic: Least favourite Generation  (Read 6321 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MonsterMon64

Re: Least favourite Generation
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 22:34 »
Probably Gen IV, not counting my experience with SoulSilver, which was pretty sweet.* Even then, I do have fond memories of my time in Pearl. I just feel it's the weakest in the series by association. My biggest problems were:

1. going through the same mountain like a million times
2. how unorganized Galactic was as a team

...which I guess dragoncat already kind of pointed out.

Gen 6 is probably my second-least favorite so far; I won't say it's the one game that killed off my enthusiasm for the main games (there are a lot more external reasons than there were issues I had with the game itself) but if I'm going to get burnt out on a series, I'd like to at least end on a stellar note. White was so good it actually had me HYPED for the next installment, and White 2 was great too. The series could have ended there and I'd be happy. But nah, Y happened, and now I don't even feel inclined to shell out for Alpha Sapphire (though I'm happy we're getting remakes, definitely)

*which is the opposite of how it was for me in Gen III. Loved Sapphire, but LeafGreen was kind of... okay. Idk what they were thinking with most of the music in Fr/Lg, though.

Offline Laprasking

• The Luna Lovegood of the Pokemon Universe~
  • Pokemon Fan
  • Team Froakie Makes a Splash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 01:34 »
-Rant Mode Activated!-
Gen 5, straight up gen five. but before the flame wars start, I don't mind Trubbish/Garbadore, and the Vanillite family, and it had decent guys Lampent, Bisharp, and some others. But this gen has more than TEN Legendaries, TEN, and that's INCLUDING  Black/White 2.  And don't forget the latest mystery dungeon in which I'll pretend it doesn't exsist along Mario, Zelda CD-I, Bajo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, and Action 51. It's just no, Nintendo, how can you screw up Mystery Dungeon by throwing out most gen one and up to make room for Gen 5..just no....

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 15:33 »
For me it's easily Gen 4.

I like the Pokémon but I found nearly everything else so dreadfully dull, it didn't help that it's now sandwiched between my two favourite generations.

Firstly, the game was just so slooooooooooow, especially coming after the slick and responsiveness that Gen 3 boasted, selecting a command had a delay in it and moving through the overworld just seemed so jerky and sluggish.   There were some very interesting myths in Shinnoh but overall the region just  felt a little uninspired.

And the story is overblown and bordering on silly, it was almost like a parody of a Pokemon story.  As much as I like Palkia based on looks alone, it felt like GameFreak wanted to top the power that Kyroge and Grondon had and not only  created the Pokemon with the power of TIME and SPACE but had the GOD of Pokemon available for you through events.  It made the world of Pokemon seemed a lot shallower for what seems to sake of escalating story concepts and now two generations later and Arcues, which by it's concept alone should be the ultimate Pokemon and absolute sits awkwardly in the middle of the Pokedex.

Black and White handled it much better, by having two Pokemon with a more localised and deeper story.

That said I do love the Pokemon of that generation.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 15:48 »
smh at Gen 4 being hated on so bad D:

I genuinely don't have a generation that I utterly despise, but I'd say there's part of me that says Generation 3. Only because FR/LG were genuinely slow games. The plot was average at best, but the worst thing has to be the leveling up. It's incredibly slow to level up after you've beaten the Elite Four, and you still have Sevii Islands to explore afterwards. That said, I did love the Sevii Islands.

R/S/E were fantastic games though, so it kind of counteracts how I dislike FR/LG

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 15:51 »
Gen 4 did however, did a lot of things right, it's highlight is the physical special split, which was the best thing to happen the battling side imo.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 19:29 »
Gen 4 was always a solid favorite of mine just below Gen 2...if anything I feel like it was massively underrated.

Maybe not the best time to say it but Gen 3 has always been my least favorite. I would be tempted to say Gen V but I think B/W2 improved things dramatically. Gen 3 seemed to feel nothing like the Pokemon world that Gen 1 and 2 had established. None of the characters really stuck with me and I wasn't really taken with many Gen 3 Pokemon either. Hoenn itself was a fairly decent region but the sheer amount of water did get annoying. I wonder if AS/OR will execute Gen 3 in a different way. I always felt that Ruby and Sapphire had a completely different atmosphere because Pokemon had just declined massively in popularity and Satoshi Tajiri stopped having as much influence on the games.

Gold/Silver was supposed to be the last Pokemon games in the series, I wonder if R/S seemed so different because they hadn't planned on where to go from here, then by the time we got to Diamond and Pearl it felt like the original Pokemon feeling had returned.

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 11:02 »
unfortunately i've never been too fond of gen five - although i love some of the designs from that era, ie, oshawott, zoroark, axtinguish, i wasn't fond of the storyline - having to go through the e4 TWICE just to become champion?! the stuff after you ran through the e4 first time and weren't made champion, your mons were HIDEOUSLY underlevelled for? and THREE unobtainable Pokémon that only just NOW I've even been able to get one of?

Plus, Team whatever they were called were just ridiculous - oh we're gonna free all pokemon but still use some to force you to free yours? nah, that's lame son

Offline OpalRhea

• PUK's unofficial psycho writing steampunked Charizard
  • Sentret Fan
  • Credit goes to meta spriters. Shiny Chary is smexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 11:56 »
I have to agree with Lauren. Gen five felt horrible in my opinion. Although that might be because there was more emphasis on online play.
 It also felt too... Quick for my liking. And it didn't have the replayability that I had with other gens. Also, despite derpape, gen four was pretty good (...especially eqing derpape if you chose turtwig). Wasn't my favourite but... The other reason I dislike gen five is because of MD:GtI. It was crap.

Offline SpinnelSun

• This isn't wonderland anymore, Alice.
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • facebook.
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 04:02 »
I used to dislike Gen 4 but looking back now it actually wasn't too bad, just a bit forgettable. Least favourite would be Gen 5. Wasn't a fan of the region and although it brought in some pokemon I love (Vanillite <3) most of them were just... average.

Offline Mistral

• Rob Fan
    • View Profile
    • Petalburg Woods
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 19:58 »
Gen 3 definitely. I dunno why, just looking back, I feel like it wasn't super enjoyable. I thought Fortree City was cool & all, & I liked Flannery & Team Magma, but other than that, there wasn't a whole lot to appeal to me there.

Also gen 5, but that may have been because I missed all of the hype for it & didn't get the games until months before XY launched. I probably wouldn't have minded it as much had I been around for the hype and whatnot.

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 22:48 »
I don't really have a least favorite  Gen but the story portion of XY disappointed me slightly and I defeated it in less than six hours my first run through. And that was almost nonstop except to use the bathroom and to eat. Plus the Post game was pretty disappointing but I still liked the game itself.
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 22:50 »
I would say Generation 5, mainly because of the Dream World (which since ceased to exist). It was just a major grindfest, having to log on every day just to have a chance of getting a decent Dream World ability (now Hidden Ability). I lost interest because of this, and only came back because of Generation 6.

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 23:21 »
Gen 3 easily. Half the bloody region is sea routes for god's sake, add on to that a massive chunk of the pokemon were completely unobtainable for a year while Gamefreak pretended the older generations didn't exist and RS was some glorious fresh start.

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
  • Flailing with arrogance since 1990
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2014, 20:20 »
Have to say V as well... not really into it for all this competitive battling malarkey, so just judging by whether I had a good time playing it or not. Which I didn't, and I haven't even made it all the way through the story in either B/W or B2/W2 (I couldn't even tell you which I bought, and it's the only gen that I haven't bought ALL the versions for).

That's not to say I disliked the Pokemon themselves... I just found the game slow and boring. I expected much more than was delivered in terms of cool places to explore and fun things to do. Plus what everyone else had said, pretty much.

Tbh, I expected more from VI as well and had that, "oh, is that it?" feeling towards the end but at least it was fun to play through (overlooking Lumiose city and all those camera angles that made me dizzy @_@).

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 21:02 »
Gen 3 easily. Half the bloody region is sea routes for god's sake, add on to that a massive chunk of the pokemon were completely unobtainable for a year while Gamefreak pretended the older generations didn't exist and RS was some glorious fresh start.

I think they "pretended" to surprise everyone with the announcement that the first gen games were being remade. I mean up until that point, who expected GameFreak to remake a game?
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!