Author Topic: Not your usual suspects  (Read 1083 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
Not your usual suspects
« on: January 29, 2014, 15:03 »
Sorry about the title. Allow me to elaborate.

On this thread, we can discuss the pokemon smogon is suspect testing, any tier.

First off, Smogon now is testing Lucarionite, genesect and Deoxys-s. Your thoughts?
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Not your usual suspects
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 16:19 »
lucarionite better not get banned its so fun to use
i dont suspect it will though, it isnt breaking the game or anything
and isnt deoxys-s allowed in uu now?  :wacko:

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 17:07 »
Deo-s is OU I think.

And lucarionite is likely to be banned.

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 17:10 »
well yeah due to smogons history itll probably be banned but it shouldnt be :P

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 17:31 »
Yeah, it will. I love mega luke though.

Offline Volkner

• The Shining, Shocking Star
  • Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 05:48 »
Genesect needs to be banned.
"My relationship to Flint? There's no love lost, that's for sure."

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 06:10 »
Mega Luke is broken, I will be very surprised if it remains OU. It's the only reason I'm even using Aegislash in my team. NP Luke is absurdly powerful, and SD Luke breaks most of the NP Luke counters.

Genesect isn't necessarily broken, so much as it's over-centralizing. It's required to have a check/counter for it, and the momentum and powerful coverage it has can be difficult to stop.

Deo-E is the only one that might stay in OU. I'm not saying it's not good, but it's got many more obstacles this generation, not the least of which comes in the form of Aegislash. Xatu, while not used very much (for some reason), also resists both Psycho Boost and Superpower, while bouncing back any hazards it might try to set. Deo-E has a lot of options, and I won't miss it if it's sent away, but I also don't think it's as much of an issue as the other two are.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:57 by Richard and Blaziken »
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 18:12 »
I can agree with Mega Lucario being broken. It is insanely powerful, to be plain and simple. The most threatening aspect of this monster is that teams have to guess as to whether it is a physical set or a special set. Most teams only run a decent stop to one set but not the other one, so they have to pray that the set is the one they can take on and beat. Otherwise, they have to lose a Pokemon to check it, and that one Pokemon might just be the only full-stop to something else on the opposing team...which then ends up sweeping them. This is further worsened by how it gets near-perfect coverage with both sets, and it can also double it's attacking stats in a single turn...this can spell disaster if you happen to be in the scenario mentioned above.

Genesect...isn't as bad. It's still quite over-centralising, and there are few full counters to it (Heatran, to name one). It does have plenty of checks (including the Pokemon I'll mention in a moment), and those checks are quite varied. However, the fact that it can easily U-turn out means that it can weaken it's checks and counters until they can be finished off by something else. Genesect + Mega Lucario sounds pretty darn scary, now that I think about it...

Now, Deoxys-S is not broken, in my opinion. I personally love using the thing, as it makes for a fantastic late-game sweeper, so there may be some bias here as to whether I want it gone. Running it as a lead is one of the more common uses of it, and for good reason. SR + Spikes are almost guaranteed to be up by the time it dies as it has decent bulk, and it can run enough EVs and a certain attack to bypass some of its counters (Superpower for Tyranitar, for example).

As a late-game sweeper...it is amazing. With Life Orb, enough EVs to outrun scarf base 101s and the right coverage, not much stands a chance after being weakened. Heatran / Venusaur remaining? Superpower and Psycho Boost. Scarf Garchomp and Mega Scizor left? Ice Beam and HP Fire. Just get hazards up, phaze a little and it won't disappoint you often. However, it cannot get past bulky things, but that's why you weaken things first...

So, tl;dr, Mega Lucario deserves to be banned, Genesect is 50/50 for me...and Deoxys-S might, but I hope it doesn't xD

Offline SirBlaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 20:51 »
I've never seen mega luke used by someone other than me. Still, I have to agree that it's op. Scratch that, broken. Looks like I need a new mega evolving pokemon.