Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 105257 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Winston Payne

• A Real Nowhere Man
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • There I will go.
    • View Profile
    • Covered Wars, Allegedly.
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2008, 12:59 »
As for "The Death of a Salesman", we touched a bit on it when studying tragedy. It's a sort of modern tragedy, the Tragic hero being the salesman.

Offline Utack and Swampy

• "Generally, anything in the 31-28 range is fantastic, 27-24 is ok, 23-lower is no."
  • Fan Fan
  • Smooth as a Silcoon~
    • View Profile
    • My Art
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2008, 01:15 »
I can't understand it myself. I dunno, we havn't read any past ACT 1, and it's a two act play...but I can't understand the guy, Willy. I mean, he was just constantly trying to live up to someone elses expectations of him. If he could just get over the facxt that he's not his brother, and doesn't have to live up to his ideals, then he'd be much better off. Same with both of his kids (Biff and...Happy?) they're both torn between doing what their fatehr expects of them, and doing what makes them happy. Well, Biff anyways, Happy just gets upset and feels he has to prove himself to everyone...

Yeah, I've never been one for proving my worth. If I'm happy, then I don't care what other people think, which is what's annoying me about this play.

Thank's to Blake... for the awesome sig!

Offline Piccolami.

• Joeno Fan
  • cheers Rich for the Rocket Ampharos <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2008, 19:12 »
I loved Death of a Salesman <3 Apart from Creative Writing, it's been my favourite coursework assignment so far in English. I thought it was very interesting, apart from the fact that we had to analyse practically every line. Other plays by Arthur Miller are great as well, such as The Crucible. I loved that one too =]
human beings in a mob
what's a mob to a king
what's a king to a god
what's a god to a non believer
who don't believe in
anything

Offline Utack and Swampy

• "Generally, anything in the 31-28 range is fantastic, 27-24 is ok, 23-lower is no."
  • Fan Fan
  • Smooth as a Silcoon~
    • View Profile
    • My Art
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2008, 02:15 »
I'm...trying to recall...I know I've read The Crucible, but must not have made the top 10 if I can't even recall the main character...

Offline Piccolami.

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 16:42 »
The Crucible is the one set in Salem during the witch hunts and whatnot. A View From A Bridge is a lovely play by Miller as well. Much better than the Catcher in the Rye, IMO. Which has nothing to do with either play, but still.
human beings in a mob
what's a mob to a king
what's a king to a god
who don't believe in
anything

Offline lit R.I.P PUK

• your lovable neighbourhood aspie. no srsly. resident dance gavin dance fanboy, obessive person, and zombie slayer. stop reading me. ;;
  • Joeno Fan
  • JENJEN IS MY GAY LOVER
    • View Profile
    • devianTART
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 16:45 »
Twilight. Again ._.
I was sort of inspired to read it because of the film I guess
Anyway, I've got the one with the new cover k. >>
lolwebbz
Chav.
You remind me of a chav.

Offline Anarcree

• PlayStation Network ID: Anarcree
  • Sentret Fan
  • You can so totally see this.
    • View Profile
    • DragonCave~
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2008, 00:43 »
Twilight and New Moon until I can get Eclipse. New Moon irritates at the beginning though I like it near the end.

Seems that Doomsday's come early this year.

Offline Utack and Swampy

• Fan Fan
  • Smooth as a Silcoon~
    • View Profile
    • My Art
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2008, 00:58 »
We finished Death of a Salesmen. I was touched, kindof, though I wouldn't put it on 'Books I recomend for a sunny afternoon!'

Random42ness

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2008, 21:46 »
Twilight and New Moon until I can get Eclipse. New Moon irritates at the beginning though I like it near the end.

*gags* Twilight... New Moon... *twitch*

As for me, I'm reading Brain Trust.

Offline Airwolf

• Moo?
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Mooyou!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2008, 21:57 »
I'm reading three different books right now.  I'm reading Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury, Ringworld, by Larry Niven, and The Bible, by various authors.

Yay Ringworld. And I recall Fahrenheit 451 is somewhere around this house, though I don't know what it's about. Is it any good?

'Mechanicum' by Graham McNeill. The 9th book in the series. And so far one of the best. They'll probably get to book 1093 before they manage to end the series.

Don't be so sure. The Wheel of Time was cut short at book 12 by the author's death, meaning he had to close the story there and the two other proposed prequels will not exist.

Currently I'm reading The Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson. Not the best book ever, but still very good. For X-mas I should be getting The Lake House by the same author, which judging by the previous book When The Wind Blows should be good, and I will also be getting Stealing Light by Gary Gibson and A Crown of Swords, Wheel of Time book 7 by Robert Jordan. I was also intending to get Fell by David Clement-Davies.

I also have alot of partially read books around. EVE: The Empyrean Age and two Anne McCaffrey books off the top of my head. Two by Peter F. Hamilton. Lucifer's Hammer and Moonseed I should get reading. Need to catch up on Broken Sky, Demonata,  and Artemis Fowl series (I know the most recent one is hiding in this house SOMEWHERE). Lion of Senet. What else is there ... A.I. Love You vol. 2 I'm not sure I finished, but I also have no idea where it is. I can probably come up with more if I go and look through my bookcase. If I hunt through the house I'll eventually come up with some more too. I still need to find Maximum Ride book 3 for re-reading.

Tl;dr, I read a lot. A helluva lot. But still not enough. While I'm on that point of not reading enough, I have two 1200-page A4 books with tiny text I should get on with also. Not text books either.
<Pidgeot> Im sure if you taught lions to use a BBQ, theyd prefer cooked gazelles too

SHOEMAN!

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2008, 13:17 »
Currently Of Mice and Men in English, and may have to read more after the half term break, such as How To Kill A Mockingbird... Great eh?

Offline Piccolami.

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2008, 16:23 »
My newest reading material is my Chemistry revision guide. I need to learn the Empirical formula or whatever it is =[

Apart from that, I read The Tales of Beedle The Bard the other day, and before that I read some of the Silmarilion.
human beings in a mob
what's a mob to a king
what's a king to a god
who don't believe in
anything

Offline Laprabi

• hehehehehehehe
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2008, 18:06 »
I'm not really reading anything at the moment.

My Dad is telling me I should read 'How to build a Time Machine' by Paul Davies.
hahahahahahaha

PiPlUp_94

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2008, 18:32 »
I'm reading Kiss, by Jaqueline Wilson and Eragon by Christopher Palini.

I only ever seem to get so far with Eragon then stop x3, I'm at the part where he's just found the egg.

Offline laironlover77

• The resident Poison maniac.
  • Sentret Fan
  • Dewotts and hooligans
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt, sklee~! =D
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2008, 23:43 »
And I recall Fahrenheit 451 is somewhere around this house, though I don't know what it's about. Is it any good?
Oh, I had to read that for school. Tbh, it's actually quite good.

Right now I'm currently reading The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown.
I very much like that book; I'm getting sucked into it.<3

do ya wanna get rocked?