Author Topic: Mispronounced Pokémon  (Read 7378 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Bulbakip

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
    • What do WE think?
Mispronounced Pokémon
« on: September 15, 2014, 16:26 »
There are Pokémon names like Bulbasaur that no one mispronounces and names like Arceus that everyone mispronounces  ;D (Pronunciation: Ar-k-ius) - I'm not good at writing transcriptions   :laugh:

In this topic you can write which Pokémon's names you mispronounce :)

[gif]https://urpgstatic.com/img_library/pokemon_sprites_animated/001.gif[gif] [gif]https://urpgstatic.com/img_library/pokemon_sprites_animated/258.gif[gif]

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
Re: Mispronounced Pokémon
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 16:36 »
lugia is apparently one? i say it 'loo-GEE-ah' whereas its apparently 'LOO-gee-ah' which blows my mind and i refuse to pronounce it in this awful way

meganium was another one. i say it right now, but i said it 'meh-gah-NEE-um' when its really 'meh-GAY-nee-um'

i still say 'ARR-see-uss' though. no hard Cs here pal, you give me a pokemon that has a name that looks like its read close to 'arse' you bet your bottom dollar im gonna be pronouncing it that way.

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Wolstenholme

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 16:41 »
IPA to the rescue.

I pronounce Hydreigon wrong on purpose, simply because I think it sounds better as 'haɪ-dreɪ-gɒn'

It is of course, supposed to be pronounced 'haɪ-draɪ-gɒn'

Offline That Girl in the 'Roo Suit

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • WE ROXOR U THEN U AM CRY
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 16:42 »
i still say 'ARR-see-uss' though. no hard Cs here pal, you give me a pokemon that has a name that looks like its read close to 'arse' you bet your bottom dollar im gonna be pronouncing it that way.

You mean it's not?!

I used to have trouble with Suicune, until Pokemon 4ever was released. I feel like they did that to correct me. There are probably a lot I mispronounce, but eh, whatcha gonna do?
-~-
Well did she make you cry? Make you break down?
Shatter your illusions of love?
And is it over now? Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home?
-~-

MonsterMon64

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 16:44 »
I guess technically Kyogre is pronounced "KYE-ogre", but I've always pronounced it "KEY-ogre". I used to call Audino "Aww-DEE-no" until I learned that the apparent pun on its name is that it sounds similar to "I dunno." Actually, I think I still do. Bah, Pokemon names are weird.

Not sure if this one counts, but I've always ever called Moltres "Mole-trace" since that's what the phonetic gag technically is, but I think I've only ever heard "Mole-tress" or (if you ask the original Pokerap) "Mole-trees", which kind of kills the joke when compared to "Articuno" and "Zapdos" (Unless you pronounce Uno "One-oh" and say Dos as in MS DOS)

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 16:55 »
Rayquaza is one that I pronounce differently like Everytime I say it xD It's like.... Ray-KWA-za, Ray-kwa-za, Ray-kway-za, Ra-kwa-za.
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
  • Flailing with arrogance since 1990
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 22:35 »
Hariyama I pronounce "hairy-armpit" because I can never remember what it's actual name is.

A lot of the newer Pokemon I struggle with, especially as I don't even know half of them.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 22:39 »
I used to pronounce kyurem as ky-rue-em because I always thought of it to be spelled Kyruem.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Bulbakip

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
    • What do WE think?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 14:48 »
Rayquaza has so many ways to be pronounced and I don't relly know how it shold be  :??? I pronounce it kind of like "Ray-kwa-za" and sometimes like "Rey-qwe-za"

Doe anyone know how to pronounce it?  :mellow:

[gif]https://urpgstatic.com/img_library/pokemon_sprites_animated/001.gif[gif] [gif]https://urpgstatic.com/img_library/pokemon_sprites_animated/258.gif[gif]

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 02:06 »
I always am confused with Misdreavus. I mean the one Johto League episode clearly calls it "Mis-dra-VUS" and even the Pokemon are saying it multiple times around their trapped friend. Then another episode about two years later and onward calls it "Mis-DRAY-vus." Bonsly is another. In Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, it is clearly saying "Bon-SLY" and even referred to as such numerous times. Then Brock finds and catches one and the name is suddenly "Bons-Lee." I know the voice actors changes were occurring during that time but the movie was made AFTER the changes!
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 07:26 »
I always thought Misdreavus was Mis-dree-a-vus.  Guess that's what I get for not watching the anime.

I'm going to make a sound clip one day of me saying every Pokemon's name the way I think of it in my head.  I say "Ar-see-uss" and "Mole-tress" as well as "Ray-kwa-za" (so kwanza without the n).  Apparently Mismagius is Miss-mah-gee-us (with a g as in gull)?  I always said Miss-mage-ee-us because that seems to be the pun.

I used to think Suicune was Soo-ee-sine before I realized that it's a u in there.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:28 by Lord Raven »
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 10:12 »
I used to think for awhile that Gyrados was pronounced "Gyro-dos." Porygon2' pronunciation also had me confused for years since it was never and most likely WILL never be seen in any movie or the anime. I kept wondering if it was "Porygon-Two" or "Porygon-Squared" because the 2 came after Porygon but there was no space or hyphen and the 2 might be the squared indicator used in algebraic equations.

*Addition* Another thing that bothers me is the one episode with all the Dunsparce back in Johto was not a pronounciation but rather Dunsparce being labelled as the wrong type! The Poke Dex and several characters kept calling it a "Bug type Pokemon" numerous times! Seriously, Misty even said "That's one Bug Type I would like!"
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 01:25 by Captain Jigglypuff »
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

Offline Ya-Yah

• I'm told I'm a
  • Mulholland Fan
  • Apparently aka YY now ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 00:11 »
I used to think Suicune was Soo-ee-sine before I realized that it's a u in there.

I had this exact same problem.

Yesterday I found out that I've been pronouncing Mawile incorrectly. I've been saying 'May-Wile' but according to the anime it's 'Ma-Wile' :S

Offline Neotenens

• Dark-type Poet
  • Rob Fan
  • Happiness is for happy people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 05:07 »
I will, and always will, say Ray-kwa-za and Ar-see-us. I actually tried to watch Destiny Deoxys a while back but had to sstop because 1. I hate how pokemon say their names (always bothers me how it reminds me I pronounce everything wrong, and it's just annoying) 2. I could not stand hearing Rayquaza being called "Ray-kway-za." What is this madness!? 3. I hate the anime in general. Sue me.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

E.C.A.M.B.S.

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 05:29 »
I used to pronounce Loudred "Laur-ed," like Lauren but with a "d" at the end instead of an "n"
Then it became "Lao-red".
Finally I started pronouncing it the right way "Lao-dread"