Author Topic: Horse meat in burgers - yay or neigh?  (Read 8246 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Horse meat in burgers - yay or neigh?
« on: January 24, 2013, 09:58 »
yes the pun was intended
anyway, recently tesco and many other companies have been under fire for supplying burgers with horse meat in them. British people don't eat horsemeat because horses are apparently pets. the continent does eat horsemeat, because it's food?
so, are you honestly ~~bothered~~ about this entire debacle or do you just not care? to be honest, i don't. my guinea pigs are seen as food in other countries and there's nothing i can do about that. also i ate bambi's mom sooooooooooo
discuss

Offline .~:Sly Foxx:~.

• SO, SO MANY THANKS GO TO HAZY FOR THE SLY BANNER AND AVATAR <333333
  • Sentret Fan
  • .:~I'm cute. Don't deny it.~:.
    • View Profile
    • How to Sprite
Re: Horse meat in burgers - yay or neigh?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:49 »
Do I have a problem with horse meat? No. Heck, I've knowingly eaten horse meat, and it's pretty yummy. I don't have an issue with eating horses.

However, I don't think it's right to put the horse meat in there while advertising their product as 100% beef because that is downright lying. That's where I hold issue... Also, despite what I said above, I think horse meat should be available if people want it but lordy me don't feed horse meat to people without telling them. I have cats, and I would never knowingly eat cat meat, and other people can if they want but it would just sicken me. I want to have that freedom of choice, thank you.

Of course, this isn't the only thing being snuck into products without listing it on the ingredients label, but while the main objection for chemicals is health reasons, the main objection for horses is personal reasons. On one level health is probably the more important... On another level the moral revulsion some people might feel upon learning they've been eating horse, I feel for them. We definitely consider the revulsion aspect important, and I can appreciate it. Most people would feel repulsion about cannibalism, and that's because they're eating a person very similar to them. Logically or not, we tend to rank animals we keep as pets in second, and animals we don't in third. So depending on where you draw the line, some people might consider this worse than the chemicals... And at least with the chemicals you kind of know they're there even if they're not listed. This kind of thing has probably come as a bit of a shock to a lot of people.

I'm not following it closely, and it doesn't trouble me much on some levels, but on other levels it disturbs me how little I know about exactly what is in my food. And I do feel for the people who've been upset by it. (Though of course this is very much a first world perspective... I won't deny that.)

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 15:54 »
I don't see the big deal at all about horsemeat. At least it's actual MEAT, unlike the snouts and anus and entrails that are in your average sausage.

My friend and I were just talking about this kind of thing earlier. Last year on a college trip to Amsterdam I had rabbit stew, and you would think I'd just ordered fresh baby. When I asked the horrified girl across from me what was so different about the rabbit I was eating and the pork she had, her answer was that "pigs aren't cute", so therefore it's fine to eat them. It's a mentality I just can't get my head around.

Offline .~:Sly Foxx:~.

• SO, SO MANY THANKS GO TO HAZY FOR THE SLY BANNER AND AVATAR <333333
  • Sentret Fan
  • .:~I'm cute. Don't deny it.~:.
    • View Profile
    • How to Sprite
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 16:00 »
I agree, I'm quite against the 'because they're cute' mentality some people adopt. I can't stand it when people use that as an argument for 'why it's okay to squash bugs for fun' or what have you, ugh.

All the same... Like I said, personal attachment. The reason I would balk at cats for food is because it would make me imagine eating my own cats, which would repulse me. Cute widdle rabbits and ducks? Omnom. No problems there. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised if someone who kept pigs for pets refused to eat pork but would happily chow down on dog - I can understand that. I see a bit of a difference there between personal attachment and 'because it's cute'... Though maybe I shouldn't.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 18:42 »
I'm not really bothered, meat is meat.

we buy our burgers from the butcher anyway

Reluctant Wailord

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 22:05 »
Reminds me of the restaurant in town that served dog instead of every other meat, without telling anyone.
Granted, it was a Chinese, but that's not the point. The point is that, while I may have been vaguely opposed to it at first, nothing actually came of me eating it. So why would I care?
Though, this does explain why Tesco's beef burgers never tasted like beef.

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 22:26 »
what a terrible post mine was

what was my post about oh yeah the horse burgers

why can't they just make it 100% horse and then we'd have nothing to worry about
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 22:55 by uuuaaaghhh samir you are breaking the car! »
           

Offline Sebastian Moran

• ᕦ(ಠ益ಠ)ᕤ Tries too hard
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Fan
  • the pride of roast britain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 06:10 »
yeah tbh my first thought was "horse meat? ooh, high quality". 
i dont see the problem and im sort of regretting not buying any horse burgers while i had the chance :o( 
man oh well, im sure therell be a report on how their fish fingers are 30% frog or something and I can feel exotic and continental over that instead. 

havent seen anybody genuinely complaining about it, either. 
it seems to be like THE SNOW!!! 
the only people up in arms over it are the news and media, everybody ive actually seen talk about it doesnt give a damn. 

anyway re food: 
idk about sentimentality, isnt it by now clichéd for horses to be recycled as dog food and glue?
thats.. probably just a cliché. 
a better thing to say would be "if youre buying tesco burgers then youre probably buying their other kinds of processed meat products and thats reknown for being made up of arseholes and lips or w/e" 
basically... 
food is food, and if youre expecting it to be high quality stuff then... dont buy it from a chain supermarket. 

in other news: 

be humble,
for you are
made of earth.

be noble,
for you are
made of stars.

Offline Specstile

• The Hoenn and Grass type fanatic!
  • Poképprentice Runner-up
  • Sentret Fan
  • Come At Me Bro
    • View Profile
    • FaceBook, only addy if i know you D:
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 10:32 »
burger king had to remove their angus burgers off the menu because apparently they had horse meat :U

Y FC:0344-9270-9498

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 23:30 »
I probably wouldn't have minded, if they actually had stated there was horse meat in there. I tend to make my own burgers anyway, lol. Or get them from my butcher, who happens to conveniently be my big sister's boyfriend.

EDIT: Honestly, haven't made my mind out about eating horses. Cats and dogs are a big NO NO NO though - they're like my family, though for obvious reasons not blood related or else I would be... a keyboard cat.

BA TUM TSHHH

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid

Offline Joe_Pokemon2015- MEGA RAYQUAZA!

• Gen. Giratina: Leader of the Pokemon International Movement. Ternyata semuanya lupa negera Korea...
  • Joeno Fan
  • Giratina: Giygogagohgwooh! to QC for this avatar
    • View Profile
    • Check out my deviantART page! It has Pokemon!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 03:23 »
anyway re food: 
idk about sentimentality, isnt it by now clichéd for horses to be recycled as dog food and glue?
thats.. probably just a cliché. 
a better thing to say would be "if youre buying tesco burgers then youre probably buying their other kinds of processed meat products and thats reknown for being made up of arseholes and lips or w/e" 
basically... 
food is food, and if youre expecting it to be high quality stuff then... dont buy it from a chain supermarket. 

Any word when Tesco's overseas operations will provide horse meat in shops? I hope to go to Malaysia to get a bit of horse meat at Tesco.

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 06:25 »
I think in China's tesco they sell lizards and stuff like that so they've probably got horse meat too.
i'm not bothered really, i hardly eat burgers and my mum never gets the cheap cheap ones which are probably full of eyes and all the other grotty bits no-one wants to eat.

Offline The biscquiat dragon

• Kris
  • Rex Fan
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 15:45 »
I thought the objection to eating horse was simply because it didn't taste very good, but according to some of our members this isn't the case.
Hush, pigs are so totally cute!

Offline sans the skeleton

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 20:46 »
Little update, but it seems that Tescos, Asda, Morrisons, and even BURGER KING have taken the burgers off the shelves.

Burgers & Whoppers for Burger King, it looks like, too, because they've admitted to the contamination. I think it's just the products containing the traces of horse, but still.

ive created a monster
official forum cryptid

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 23:24 »
NEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIGH!!!!! Especiallyif it's a poor Ponyta, Rapidash, or Keldeo!
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!