Misc > Literature

How classical is classical?!

(1/2) > >>

That Girl in the 'Roo Suit:
Now there's a question...

Which types of classics would you associate with literary "classics"?

How do you define "classic"? By age, or by timelessness?

There is, of course, the standard "classics" - Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist.

Then you have works from the likes of Shakespeare, Marlowe or, going back further, Chaucer.

And then you come to classics regarding antiquity.
Homer, Plato, Thucydides. Works of no known author such as Ancient Egyptian stories..

Which classics do you consider truly "classic?"

Wolstenholme:
I think "classics'' defines books/ works that would withstand the test of time: ones tht would make sense to people in the future no matter how old they are.

Even modern books like The Kite Runner because obviously, some of the classics of the future are being written right now.

My favourite classic is The Secret Garden.

SirBlaziken:
besides for the one's Lottie and Chloe said, Harry Potter series is classic to me

Turner:

--- Quote from: Wolstenholme on September 29, 2013, 01:01 ---I think "classics'' defines books/ works that would withstand the test of time: ones tht would make sense to people in the future no matter how old they are.

--- End quote ---

I think this is probably the best description, I'd also say anything that is absolutely evocative or representative of an era too. For example William Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy are all classics but they are ridiculously 80s...but being cyberpunk fiction they are considered classics because they perfectly represent that dystopian post capitalism 80s view of the future.

lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes:
i saw chaucer in the OP can we all agree the best tale is the millers tale if we're talking timeless classics

it has farts and arse kissing and the olde englishe version of the c-word in it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version