Author Topic: Jobs/Careers  (Read 1715 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
Jobs/Careers
« on: March 19, 2016, 19:16 »
what are you doing for yourself right now to eat and/or get drunk at night?

right now i'm doing an internet satirist job, i write political articles that get attention and get paid for the ad revenue. i'm also in the works of writing for a travel blog where i'll get paid $40 an article which isn't money to live on per se but still some nice beer money to have

i don't have any jobs back at home waiting for me when i return... so i'm trying to get my stuff together and have some money flow when i get home until i can hopefully get a job selling things to people in person or over the phone.

Offline Petzbreeder

• Also known as Brally
  • Joeno Fan
  • I play my games in French sometimes.
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs/Careers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 19:38 »
I live on disability benefits, I really wish I could get a job though.
I'm only allowed to have a certain amount of money or the government will take it away from me for having too much.

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 21:25 »
At the moment I'm an assistant dog groomer... it's full time and it pays enough that I can pay my bills and live reasonably comfortably. And once I qualify as a stylist I'll get an extra £1 an hour which is pretty neato... and most of the time is spent dealing with four legged customers which is generally much more preferable than their two legged owners. Though the inch long scratch down my face that I got from a yorkie today makes me question that sometimes.

Offline That Girl in the 'Roo Suit

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • WE ROXOR U THEN U AM CRY
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 21:53 »
I'm a barista and trainee shift supervisor. I used to be a head chef and bar staff.

It's not glamorous,  and it's definitely not what I want to be doing 5 years down the line, but it pays the bills and keeps me busy. I only plan on being in wales until hopefully the new year, so after then I should be in a better position to move wherever. Ideally, I'm going into museums, but it's finding the opportunity to apply when you're snowed under with work.
-~-
Well did she make you cry? Make you break down?
Shatter your illusions of love?
And is it over now? Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home?
-~-

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 21:55 »
i dunno. i want something in animation but i guess unless i can get to calarts thatll be super tough. art doesnt pay. nothing else i wanna do apart from that lol.

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 23:35 »
Currently work in a supermarket on the deli. Not the best job as today proved lmao but I'm getting a pay rise next month so like near £10 an hour for doing what I do isn't bad at all!

In the future I probably want a design based job. Illustration or something along those lines would nice. I have 0 experience though or even a placement under my belt so who knows I'll probably end up on the dole :')  If not I'll probably consider a masters or a teaching qualification or something.

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 00:38 »
i've never had a job so no one wants to hire me :( i can't afford to volunteer anywhere either bc i need money rip

as for what i wanna do, i just wanna be in the games industry

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 12:37 »
I'm still currently working as a Retail Supervisor, if I stay where I am in 6 months time I'll be put onto a training course to become a Retail Manager within the company but in the long term I literally do not have a clue what I want to do or what I will do

Unfortunately I can't become an astronaut or anything cool like that =[

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 09:29 »
I work in vehicle supply. The leasing companies call me up and say something along the lines of "I've got a customer looking for a Ford Mondeo with X, Y and Z on it and in black with this engine." I then phone round my network of dealers to see who's got one then do a quote using the 'terms' we have which means we get a discount off the basic list price.

I buy off the dealers at full discount, and then sell back to the leasing companies at about one or two percent and take the one or two percent as commission with half going into the business funds and half going to me.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 15:15 »
and most of the time is spent dealing with four legged customers which is generally much more preferable than their two legged owners.

Preach.

I'm trying to get a part time job in town so I can get a better laptop, pay for more bowling, etc. So I haven't had a job yet but i'm working to find one (thank god i'm only 16, I have time to get myself together)

As for what I want to do, I want to be a diagnostician or at least something within the medical field.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 17:55 by SirBlaziken »
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline kindtocrows

• tired wizard
  • Mulholland Fan
  • ask your local askljdlaskjd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 16:16 »
I don't currently have a job, mostly because I seriously can't handle retail and that's pretty much the only job I could get. I plan on doing commissions soon and selling things I make (chainmail stuff, plushies if I ever learn to make patterns, basically anything I can do).

As for a career, I still want to get into game design. Still planning to go the collage for that.
When it comes down to it, the difference between healing and necromancy is timing.

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 18:07 »
 Just figured that I would ask you guys with jobs here,

Regarding interviews, do you always have to "dress up" (shirt and tie etc) regardless of the job?

It's probably a stupid question since you want to make a great impression and make them like you so you're more likely to get the job but I figured it would be worth asking you guys because pkmn.net has a good variety of well-rounded people.

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 04:40 »

Regarding interviews, do you always have to "dress up" (shirt and tie etc) regardless of the job?

It's probably a stupid question since you want to make a great impression and make them like you so you're more likely to get the job but I figured it would be worth asking you guys because pkmn.net has a good variety of well-rounded people.

It honestly depends on the job. As you're a guy a baseline would probably be at least smart/black trousers and a white shirt. If were applying for like idk a banking job then a suit would prob be better but if you were applying to Tesco then a suit would be a bit too much. Obviously regardless of the job don't turn up in like proper casual clothes and make sure you look somewhat presentable!
I usually wore a blouse/black trousers/black shoes for most of my interviews. Try to wear stuff you're somewhat comfortable in. Interviews can be long depending on the company you'll prob be in a tiny stuffy room for the majority of it.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 18:00 »

It completely depends on the nature of the role. You should at the very least dress up smart casual (so jeans and a shirt and smart looking shoes) if it's a part time job in a minimum wage environment. It also comes down to you as an individual and what impression you want to give off. If it's something you see as a potential career, or something you really care about, then absolutely look as smart and respectable as possible. Your choice of outfit should match your mindset and approach for the interview.

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 19:37 »

i emphatically believe in Suit Wearing for an interview. find a suit that fits you in the shoulders (charity shop, tk maxx, etc., it shouldn't be too tight in the back. ask a staff person and if you're lucky you'll get someone who Knows Clothes) and get it taken in. Shoulders are the thing that absolutely has to fit (v. v. v. hard to alter) but if its too long/sleeves too long/a bit fat in the body those can all be catered for @ ur local tailor (you ought to have at least one around the place). even if its like a wedding dress i.e. you wear it once and then it gets moth-eaten until you die it is Very Much Worth It.

a badly fitting suit or smart casual/no suit for the most part screams "i dont Get the interview process and dont respect it either and also my mum dressed and still dresses me" and unless you're interviewing for some crapshoot of a techbro job in silicon valley or your interview technique blows everything else away, you will want a Good Fitting Suit get up even if the job is loose casual clothes.

absolutely no-one looks bad in a suit thats been Tailored for them (unless you're like, 650lbs or something) and theres some adage or other about a Tailored £50 suit looks infinitely better than a badly fitting £5000 suit. interviews are part "can the person Scrub Up and Look Good and Behave when needed" cos that speaks volumes about how you'll conduct yourself professionally