Author Topic: Which songs are you currently obsessed with?  (Read 594050 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Webby2

Re: Which songs are you currently obsessed with?
« Reply #3255 on: October 18, 2009, 17:34 »
^ It doesn't matter if you have more knowledge on something; sure, it could help towards it, but it doesn't make an opinion or post better. I was brought up listening to a variety of music, hence why I listen to a variety of music. That doesn't mean that I have a better opinion on music though. Backing up an opinion is fine, but implying that yours is better isn't. I know you've said that you aren't saying it, but that's how it came across.

Offline Caldoran

• Act as Rum
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • Ameba Gone Zingy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: October 18, 2009, 17:46 »
I used to think that having deep knowledge of Classical music terms and Opera music skills made me any better than the average Pop listener, but how wrong I was. It is, as Webbz says, what helps you to understand music better, and the skills, history, and whatnot behind it, but after all, it is an opinion, and not fact in any way. It is just like food. It may be an expert making a dish compared to a street seller making simple fare, and the gourmet will probably like the expert, and the average citizen the street seller, but they both most likely won't like the other because they are just enjoying what they like in the end, and neither of their tastes and opinions on the dishes are more or less valid, regardless of how "experienced" or "in-depth understood" the gourmet is, or how "shallow" and "thoughtless" the average citizen is. The main problem with your post(s) is/are how it/they appear(s) to imply superiority and perhaps unintentionally insult(s) most of the people in the thread, so yeah.
The above statements are masterfully crafted fabrications.

Offline Squiggle

• Psythor Fan
  • This is a guitar. Don't break it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: October 18, 2009, 18:12 »
^ It doesn't matter if you have more knowledge on something; sure, it could help towards it, but it doesn't make an opinion or post better. I was brought up listening to a variety of music, hence why I listen to a variety of music. That doesn't mean that I have a better opinion on music though. Backing up an opinion is fine, but implying that yours is better isn't. I know you've said that you aren't saying it, but that's how it came across.

So you agree with me.

I used to think that having deep knowledge of Classical music terms and Opera music skills made me any better than the average Pop listener, but how wrong I was. It is, as Webbz says, what helps you to understand music better, and the skills, history, and whatnot behind it, but after all, it is an opinion, and not fact in any way.

Oh God, please don't think I'm taking that stance. I really can't stand the holier-than-thou, tasteless, virtuoso, close-minded people who think that understanding the methodology and technical skills (barf) improves their taste to a higher realm. These people, usually limiting themselves to just classical, metal, and/or prog rock genres, definitely do have a superiority complex. Ugh, please don't mistake me with a Dream Theater fan or something. That is the exact opposite of where I stand, that the technical complexity of music makes it better rather than the songwriting qualities or the emotional response. I really can't stand these guys at all.

It is just like food. It may be an expert making a dish compared to a street seller making simple fare, and the gourmet will probably like the expert, and the average citizen the street seller, but they both most likely won't like the other because they are just enjoying what they like in the end, and neither of their tastes and opinions on the dishes are more or less valid, regardless of how "experienced" or "in-depth understood" the gourmet is, or how "shallow" and "thoughtless" the average citizen is.

The problem with this analogy is you make the same assumptions as you do about musical taste. You're not comparing anything, you're literally just picking up your opinion as regards the appreciation of one kind of artistry and dropping it right into another kind of artistry. But, if the Gourmet guys can't appreciate the local foods, and the average citizen can't at least consider Gourmet, then both are shallow. I'm not taking the Gourmet guy's stance, as I explained above, because I don't think that the perceived "high class" or refinement of something automatically makes it better. I think that someone who actually understands food can be an equal appreciator of both fine and common food, the important thing is broad-mindedness and curiosity.

The problem is that most of the people here aren't listening to the local guy or the Gourmet guy (again, arbitrary, flawed comparisons for music), but are actually just listening to mass-produced, soulless, corporate McDonald's.

Offline Caldoran

• Act as Rum
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • Ameba Gone Zingy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: October 18, 2009, 18:36 »
Okay, I think I've got most of what you're saying now, and I mostly agree with you, but I just dislike the way you put that 'most of the posters in this thread listen to terrible stuff' and that it is 'objective fact' or something like that. Since I need to sleep (timezones and all), I shall discuss more with you tomorrow.

Offline Squiggle

• Psythor Fan
  • This is a guitar. Don't break it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: October 18, 2009, 18:54 »
The "objective fact" bit was definitely tongue-in-cheek, although I can see how it would look like that was my serious opinion. However, my general opinion is pretty close to that.

Offline Freestyler

• !
  • Sentret Fan
  • insert personal text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: October 18, 2009, 23:03 »
Ramstein-du hast
Ramstein-sonne

I love this band again

Paul200

« Reply #3261 on: October 18, 2009, 23:10 »
Taylor Swift ~ Should've said no. <333 The Fray ~ You Found Me. <33

Offline Mulholland

• Senior Staff Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • Poyo?
    • View Profile
    • Before I Kick
« Reply #3262 on: October 19, 2009, 09:37 »
I am kinda obsessed with XX by The XX

One hell of an album there

Offline kendall!

• internet hate machine
  • Name Rater Hater
  • idk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: October 19, 2009, 11:36 »
maybe by ingrid michaelson
alpha dog by fall out boy
meet me halfway by the black eyed peas
i can feel a hot one by manchester orchestra
tony the tiger by manchester orchestra

i neeeeed to download these now that i've got my itunes library back...
you're never gonna love me, so what's the use

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: October 19, 2009, 11:39 »
maybe by ingrid michaelson

Is that on her new album? If it is, pleaseeeeeee I need to get this album now. ;-;

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"

Offline Caldoran

• Act as Rum
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • Ameba Gone Zingy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: October 19, 2009, 11:51 »
Lady Gaga - Bad Romance

Offline b1g

• nonchalant rapper
  • Joeno Fan
  • better than you
    • View Profile
    • lacklustre records
« Reply #3266 on: October 19, 2009, 12:21 »
soil's song & brave & day & evidence & sleeper & omerta
^ katatonia

reason & verne & cold blue steel & memoria stoica
^ novembre

better than you, est. always

EMPIRE

« Reply #3267 on: October 19, 2009, 17:07 »
Let it roll by Divide The Day.. I like ush this song ;)

Offline kerri-anne

• Squirrels are back again
  • Joeno Fan
  • the pirate squirrels
    • View Profile
    • world of talli
« Reply #3268 on: October 19, 2009, 17:12 »

Forget what it is called, but it is by cheryl cole and she sung it on the X factor..
what should I make you ?

Offline -Cora-

• Joeno Fan
  • -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: October 20, 2009, 09:04 »
^ Fight For This Love

I like this song, too. :3

Also, JLS - Beat Again
It took me hours to fall asleep last night, this song was stuck in my head. >:
*inactive*