Author Topic: Which songs are you currently obsessed with?  (Read 594590 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline baths

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Which songs are you currently obsessed with?
« Reply #3240 on: October 17, 2009, 22:49 »
The Killers - Somebody Told Me
Linkin Park - Shadow Of The Day
Plain White T's - Our Time Now

Offline Laprabi

• hehehehehehehe
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: October 17, 2009, 22:51 »
Just because you don't like a song doesn't automatically make it terrible. Other people just have different music tastes to you.

Oh damn now I sound like Alex...
hahahahahahaha

Offline Squiggle

• Psythor Fan
  • This is a guitar. Don't break it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: October 17, 2009, 23:17 »
Just because you don't like a song doesn't automatically make it terrible. Other people just have different music tastes to you.

Nope. Allow me to quote Roger Ebert, quoting someone else:

Quote from: Roger Ebert
So let's focus on those who seriously believe "Transformers" is one of the year's best films. Are these people wrong? Yes. They are wrong. I am fond of the story I tell about Gene Siskel. When a so-called film critic defended a questionable review by saying, "after all, it's opinion," Gene told him: "There is a point when a personal opinion shades off into an error of fact. When you say 'The Valachi Papers' is a better film than 'The Godfather,' you are wrong." Quite true. We should respect differing opinions up to certain point, and then it's time for the wise to blow the whistle.

Offline SpinnelSun

• This isn't wonderland anymore, Alice.
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • facebook.
« Reply #3243 on: October 18, 2009, 09:41 »
Although you're not the "wise". If you were truely wise you wouldn't of said anything (; .

Standing O - Mariah
H.A.T.E U - Mariah
I Want To Know What Love Is - Mariah
Revolver - Madonna
Whatcha Say - Jason Derulo
3 - Britney
Get Naked - Britney
Holiday - Dizzee Rascal
TiK ToK - Ke$ha
Mouth - Ke$ha
Second Time Around - Gaga
Meet Me Halfway - BEP

Dane Bramage

« Reply #3244 on: October 18, 2009, 09:48 »
If the wise don't start speaking up the fools won't shut up. Whoever said the wise should keep quiet was pretty unwise.

Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat - Bob Dylan
Sure 'Nuff 'N Yes I Do - Captain Beefheart
I'm Glad - Captain Beefheart
I'm So Green - Can
Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Holiday In Cambodia - Dead Kennedys
Moondance - Van Morrison
Kick Out The Jams - MC5
Angryman - The Bees
A Menha Menina - The Bees
Punchbag - The Bees

Offline Caldoran

• Act as Rum
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • Ameba Gone Zingy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: October 18, 2009, 10:09 »
Exactly how do you distinguish the "wise" from the "unwise"? Through your own, personal beliefs or perspectives that not everybody will share?

Lady Gaga - Second Time Around
Sara Bareilles - Undertow
The above statements are masterfully crafted fabrications.

Dane Bramage

« Reply #3246 on: October 18, 2009, 10:18 »
And we return to the "opinion"-fest.

Garota de Ipanema, as well. Trying to learn the Portuguese.

Offline Caldoran

• Act as Rum
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • Ameba Gone Zingy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: October 18, 2009, 10:20 »
Because it seriously is opinionated. I fail to see how anyone's opinions would be "superior" or "wiser" than anyone else. I find it pretty arrogant and stuck up to think so.

Dane Bramage

« Reply #3248 on: October 18, 2009, 10:28 »
Well, it's just your opinion that it's stuck up and arrogant (see how god-damned infuriating that is?). Personally, I'd hold someone's "opinion" higher than another when one person has taken time to listen to lyrics, content, structure, meaning, significance, originality, history, innovation, what have you and another just heard the song and decided they are definitely capable of bobbing their head to it.

There are definitely some "opinions" that are worse than others. It applies to

BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION

Webby2

« Reply #3249 on: October 18, 2009, 14:20 »
@ Dane and Squiggle; neither of your opinions are higher than anyone else's; everyone has their own different ways of rating a song which makes them feel it's better or not. Neither of you have the right to declare that your opinions are higher than anyone else's.

Personally, I'd hold someone's "opinion" higher than another when one person has taken time to listen to lyrics, content, structure, meaning, significance, originality, history, innovation

Again, that all comes down to opinion. You completely disregard some songs, without even taking the time to study the content, lyrics, etc, making a quick judgement which isn't right by your basis.

If the wise don't start speaking up the fools won't shut up.

I've started speaking, now this post will also test your statement =P

You make that sound like it's a bad thing =P

List:
Jay-Z ft Alicia Keys - Empire State of Mind
Cheryl Cole - Fight For This Love
Alexandra Burke ft Flo Rida - Bad Boys
Drake ft Kanye West, Lil' Wayne & Eminem - Forever
Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have/The Perfect Drug/Closer/The Becoming
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 18:10 by Gurren Lagann »

Offline Caldoran

• Act as Rum
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • Ameba Gone Zingy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: October 18, 2009, 14:59 »
Well, it's just your opinion that it's stuck up and arrogant (see how god-damned infuriating that is?)
No, I actually don't, because if you look at my post, I already structured it such that it presents all of my opinions as what they are...opinions. "I find it" is how I started it, because I expected my own point to be used against me. So yeah, pretty good point, just at the wrong time on the wrong person.

Personally, I'd hold someone's "opinion" higher than another when one person has taken time to listen to lyrics, content, structure, meaning, significance, originality, history, innovation, what have you and another just heard the song and decided they are definitely capable of bobbing their head to it.
But it still does not make it more than an opinion. It's an informed opinion yes, but not fact. You are right, I would hold that "opinion" in a higher regard too, but I would not say it is fact, and would not say that the other opinion is wrong or not fact in any way. See where I'm standing now?

There are definitely some "opinions" that are worse than others.
You may think it's better, and you are free to think so, but it is not so for everyone else. To think that everyone would feel that a certain way about an opinion is pretty strange and arrogant to me. Where would we be if we all had the same music taste, because through some twisted perfection of some twisted person's world, we all had "good" music taste, and there was absolutely no diversity? Wouldn't it be rather dull and boring?

BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION
Ditto.

Basically to sum it up, if we all held the same "good" opinions about the exact same thing such that others hold it in a high regard and not a "worse" opinion, the world would be a pretty damn messed up place.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 15:04 by Caldoran »

Rotom48

« Reply #3251 on: October 18, 2009, 15:01 »
Miley Cyrus - Hovering
Hannah Montana - Nobody's Perfect
Cheryl Cole - Fight For This Love
Oasis - Stop Crying Your Heart Out
Hannah Montana - One In A Million

Offline Caldoran

• Act as Rum
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • Ameba Gone Zingy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: October 18, 2009, 15:05 »
Lady Gaga feat. Space Cowboy - Starstruck

pikakitty

« Reply #3253 on: October 18, 2009, 16:39 »
You make that sound like it's a bad thing =P

Because it is x

Absent Elk - Sun and Water / Bleeding Ink / Cannibals / Pokerface
(I just can't wait for their new album ♥)
Passion Pit - Sleepyhead / The Reeling
Clint Mansell - Dead Reckoning
Morningwood - Take Off Your Clothes
Innerpartysystem - Don't Stop

WHAT A SELECTION!!1

Offline Squiggle

• Psythor Fan
  • This is a guitar. Don't break it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: October 18, 2009, 17:31 »
Although you're not the "wise". If you were truely wise you wouldn't of said anything (; .

Teehee. You meant "truly" and "wouldn't have".

If the best thing you can defend your taste in any kind of art with is "well, everyone has a different opinion and you have to respect that" rather than any of the actual qualities of the music, you know it's bad. For the record, I don't think my opinion is intrinsically "better" than that of anyone else, but it's certainly backed up with a greater knowledge of musical history than most. And, contrary to what you guys might be thinking, I don't automatically decry any opinion that's not exactly the same as my own. For example, Dane hates Radiohead intensely, while I think they're one of the greatest bands of all time in any genre. However, I think his opinion is justified because he has tried listening to them with seriousness, is at least somewhat knowledgeable about them, and has legitimate reasons for disliking them pertaining to their actual sound. I respect that he doesn't like them because of that, and although we have differing taste in general we both have a curiosity to seek out new music that is characteristic of actual fans of music, rather than those who just thoughtlessly listening to the same old gunga. And before anyone says that I'm automatically dismissing their music without seriously considering it, I'm going to have to assure you that I spend a comparable amount of time time looking into new music I think I will like as I do to music I know I won't. I'm as knowledgeable about the new Britney Spears or Miley Cyrus or T-Pain release as I am about the latest Radiohead or Animal Collective, just because I like to actually back up my opinions of something, negative or positive, with the actual time and consideration that should be spent to assess it. I don't think I or any other person are automatically the "wise" and others automatically the "unwise"; it comes from a continual intellectual curiosity and seeking of knowledge about a wide variety of music, one which many here clearly lack.

"Convinced of the Hex" by the Flaming Lips.