Author Topic: Majors  (Read 2301 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
Majors
« on: June 19, 2015, 01:03 »
So, for those of you college, to-be college, or graduated kids around here, what's your major, or what are you thinking of making it?

My major is marketing. It sounds pretty boring but I could actually talk your ear off of a lot of things. It's like business meets psych/sociology. I'm hoping that when I get into it I'll be able to get a job in advertising, because that's my favorite section of it. At my school right now I have a concentration in Social Media, but I haven't taken any such courses yet and when I transfer I doubt my transfer school will have that concentration.

I thought about doing graphic design for a while but I mean... I feel like that's a profession where you have to deal with a lot of stupid people for not nearly enough money. Like, yeah, that encompasses almost any job, but I feel like its a lot of client work which can go kinda awry. I also wanted to do communications/journalism, but imo, thanks to blogs and the instantaneous way the news has to be delivered in the internet era just didn't seem much fun to me. Plus if I worked for an organization like Fox I would absolutely hate myself.

So, what kind of piece of paper do you wanna get?

Offline sylar

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
Re: Majors
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:11 »
something in art... illustration? maybe animation.

only thing is to do that i need to get through 5th year art + design. which i hate with a passion. perhaps ill never get to college.

though really id be getting an art degree so itd basically be like i didnt go to college either way.

the christians gave me
comic books as if i would
be scared of burning in hell
while i was already there

ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ
ㅤㅤㅤ

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 08:35 »
Uni killed Marketing for me haha

I did Business Management for two years and then dropped out during the third. If I did Uni again I'd pick something that would be interesting to learn about rather than something I was good at.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 08:43 »
i majored in physics, get at me

I still do, though.  The professors all drive you nuts, and I'm starting to see why the professors drive you nuts now that I'm TAing.  It's a strange subject that attracts strange people.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 09:06 »
something in art... illustration? maybe animation.

only thing is to do that i need to get through 5th year art + design. which i hate with a passion. perhaps ill never get to college.

though really id be getting an art degree so itd basically be like i didnt go to college either way.
ps I only have a D in higher art from doing it in school and then I got no award when I reattempted it at college lmao. The sqa do not like my art haha but I don't think it's like 100% necessary? I did an nc in art after leaving school then my hnc and now hnd.

I just finished two years doing visual communication, so a mixture of graphic design, illustration and drawing. Was going to go down the fine art route but I can't stand the pretentiousness of it and I like working to a brief.
Now I'm going onto to do design and digital art, which mixes graphic design, web development and fun stuff like prototyping. It's for two years so this time next year I might have a degree and then the year after is honours which is terrifying!
I'm prepared for the fact I might not get a job after it so I'm going to do a postgrad and get into primary teaching.

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 14:48 »
Uni killed Marketing for me haha

Why? As you learned more did you lose more interest? I took 3 years of marketing in high school so I think I may be set if that's the case but I'm interested in hearing about it.

Offline JSM

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 15:03 »
I study maths at uni =) Find it to be really difficult at times, but it's a lot of fun and I'm just so happy to be doing it.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 20:13 »
Why? As you learned more did you lose more interest? I took 3 years of marketing in high school so I think I may be set if that's the case but I'm interested in hearing about it.

Marketing was a major part of the stuff I was doing in Business for 4.5 years prior to Uni. I guess that's what it was though, Uni got more indepth about Marketing as a whole concept and it kinda killed the interest for me. I ended up really enjoying the theoretical aspects and the psychology of leadership and management more so, but there wasn't anywhere near enough of that to keep me invested unfortunately (only really did the good stuff in first year), I think I probably would have been best off doing some sort of Psychology degree.

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 21:54 »
 I might get my degree in counselling studies and psychology or just straight up psychology.

I would like to by a counsellor/therapist/psychiatrist < anything along those lines but a psychiatrist would require med school (if I'm correct) and I haven't even got my foot on the first rung of the ladder.

If it goes bottoms-up I'll look at parapsychology and hopefully get employed by some shady government sector where life will be like a video game.

I think I'll be able to get a masters in psychology and religion or something which could maybe get me a job in the military depending on who we're currently invading... or in the civil service.

Offline not chloe

• Mulholland Fan
  • never more than 3 hours away from public meltdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 03:23 »
English Language and Creative Writing. Starts in September, need 300 UCAS points.

I have never been more excited in my life and I am always excited.
Credit to Inferna for the teacup Chatot
surPrISE

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 18:36 »
I study Zoology, first year has been general life sciences with biochemistry and cell biology and stuff like that but next year get to do more interesting modules like animal physiology and animal diversity.

Offline Sizacu

• Sentret Fan
  • hello everyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 00:24 »
I'm planning on doing Computer Science in uni (: It was originally Maths and Computer Science, but I'm finding the modules that you do in Computer Science more interesting than Maths. Cryptography and Graphics? Yes please!!

Captivating Radiant Elegant Serene Seraphic Enchanting Lovely Immortal Adorable

Are you interested in spriting, or improving it?

Offline That Girl in the 'Roo Suit

• "You'll go far with your compassion. But unless you have the tenacity, you'll never make it to the top"
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • WE ROXOR U THEN U AM CRY
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 15:09 »
If I did Uni again I'd pick something that would be interesting to learn about rather than something I was good at.

^This. Always do something you're going to enjoy, rather than something you think will get you the jobs. If they coincide, great, but don't worry about it.

For example, I did Egyptology. Remember, it's the skills you learn that get you the jobs, not /what/ you learn.
-~-
Well did she make you cry? Make you break down?
Shatter your illusions of love?
And is it over now? Do you know how
To pick up the pieces and go home?
-~-

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 17:40 »
I'm hoping to do Creative Writing. A few University courses for that do see pretty cool, like UEA's course. The problem with UEA is that the grades to get in are AAA. Otherwise, Keele and Chester seem to do it too...but they're a little too close to me for my liking.

Offline Wrath of Zuruggu

• Sentret Fan
  • Flailing with arrogance since 1990
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART account
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 19:04 »
I study Zoology, first year has been general life sciences with biochemistry and cell biology and stuff like that but next year get to do more interesting modules like animal physiology and animal diversity.

Aw man, really? No diversity? We had diversity in first year and we're covering more specifics second and third. I get a trip to Ireland and Africa, too :D

So I'm studying biology but I'm kinda doing the splits between genetics and conservation biology/ ecology. I plan just to do a Pocahontas and see where the wind takes me~

I'm hoping to do Creative Writing. A few University courses for that do see pretty cool, like UEA's course. The problem with UEA is that the grades to get in are AAA. Otherwise, Keele and Chester seem to do it too...but they're a little too close to me for my liking.

Come to UEA. It's the best because I'm there. I've heard a lot of good things about their creative courses so I'm not surprised it's AAA.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 19:07 by Wrath of Zuruggu »