Author Topic: Wanting a new computer/laptop, need some advice!  (Read 11464 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Wanting a new computer/laptop, need some advice!
« on: September 01, 2013, 17:32 »
My old faithful laptop has finally given up the ghost with the internet connection only working wired and it's taking an age to start, so I've decided to invest in a new one!
Basically I need something under £500 (might be too much of a stretch lol) that will be pretty heavy duty. I'm planning on getting PS/AI/In Design and Sai so it'll need to run all the adobe stuff without too much lag.
I'm not really fussed if it is a laptop/desktop or not because this is so I can do my college work at home. Laptop would probably be easier for portability but I don't mind getting a desktop.
I'd prefer if it ran Windows 7 because I don't really like the look of Windows 8 haha.
Using art programs, word and going on the internet is most likely all I'll be using it for- so gfx for gaming isn't a big deal.
Any suggestions will be appreciated :3

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting a new computer/laptop, need some advice!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 17:38 »
If you have a lot of things wired to internet, don't get a netbook. If not, netbooks aren't as expensive, a bit more compact, and pretty fast and lightweight. I have an Asus, works fine.

Also, do not, I repeat, do not use internet explorer! It has ruined countless desktops at my house.

Sorry if this doesn't help.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline JSM

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 20:12 »
Hi court I know next to nothing about computers, but I can point you here. I've heard good things about people who have asked for help buying a new computer/laptop there. (look in the sidebar for somewhere to ask about laptops, the people in these places are far more knowledgeable than I ever could be.)

Offline .~:Sly Foxx:~.

• SO, SO MANY THANKS GO TO HAZY FOR THE SLY BANNER AND AVATAR <333333
  • Sentret Fan
  • .:~I'm cute. Don't deny it.~:.
    • View Profile
    • How to Sprite
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 21:14 »
I'm in a similar boat, and I've currently got my eye on the Dell Inspiron 15r. From the sounds of things it can handle some tough stuff, and there are still some around with Windows 7.

A quick google brings up one on Amazon for £595, but that's a quick search and I'm sure you can find one for cheaper~

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 23:41 »
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/toshiba-satellite-c850-1nu-15-6-laptop-21322534-pdt.html

Only down side is that it's Windows 8. Still a great laptop though, and Windows 8 is better than it looks. Honest.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline Moon Chaser

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 03:44 »
All I can really say is avoid Acer Aspire laptops. I've had three and all of them had to have the same part repaired (the bit you plug the charger into before the warranty ran out and the two which are broken had it happen again after the warranty ran out.

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 08:30 »
acer also had that drama with the rootkit
           

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 08:37 »
Just gonna chime in and say that Windows 8 really isn't that bad. The only real difference between 7 and 8 is the lack of Start Button (which is such an insane nonissue since we have a Windows Key on our keyboards which does the same thing), and the new Start Menu which covers the whole screen instead of being a pop-up window (but it's really not that bad).

I've been using Windows 8 since I upgraded from 7 back in January and I've not once encountered any issues, so if you find something you like but it has 8, don't let it put you off because "the internet said it was bad" or whatever.
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 08:43 »
I had a laptop with Windows 8 for 3 days. Said laptop crashed 6 times (seriously, I wasn't even doing anything intensive, just trying to get everything setup). I found one with Windows 7 and it's so much better for me. I'm not saying Windows 8 is bad... but I didn't like it at all. I recall mousing over part of the screen would go back to that dreaded windows screen with all the useless tabs I ended up getting rid of. It's a matter of personal taste, but Windows 8 on a laptop or computer seems very... unnecessary to me. Just my personal opinion; do research on it before getting one to see if you'll like it.
Discord - richardblaziken

Offline Milsap

• Hates everything
  • Fan Fan
  • The only person who is permanently angry
    • View Profile
    • Six String Tings- Guitar Related Tosh
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 11:35 »
The thing with Windows 8 is all you see on the adverts is the new start menu (That looks pretty much the same as the home screen on my Windows Phone). When you actually go and look at one, it's exactly the same, only that the Start menu is much bigger and easier to navigate.
[Three Word Rule]

I occasionally write stories. Find them HERE

I also race cars from time to time on my YouTube Channel

Offline .~:Sly Foxx:~.

• SO, SO MANY THANKS GO TO HAZY FOR THE SLY BANNER AND AVATAR <333333
  • Sentret Fan
  • .:~I'm cute. Don't deny it.~:.
    • View Profile
    • How to Sprite
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 13:34 »
Hey - if Windows 8 is really that bad, there's a chance that just buying a download of Windows 7 for whatever laptop you want to use will be tour cheapest option. You can buy it on Amazon for £70 or, if you're willingnto take a risk, from independent sellers for about £50.

Offline Dragonpika

• Call me Kay~
  • Elite Four Member
  • Sentret Fan
  • blub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 17:28 »
I'd recommend Argos's ebay outlet! I recently was in the same boat and they have loads of refurbished laptops there for cheap.

Here's all their laptops that pop up when you search for "Windows 7", I'd double check that any you like definitely do though cause searching for numbers is always weird.

I got a Toshiba Satellite with Win7 from there and it's shiny and red and only cost me less than 300 so I was a very happy bunny :3

wake up, kids
    we've got the dreamers disease

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 18:57 »
I had a laptop with Windows 8 for 3 days. Said laptop crashed 6 times (seriously, I wasn't even doing anything intensive, just trying to get everything setup). I found one with Windows 7 and it's so much better for me. I'm not saying Windows 8 is bad... but I didn't like it at all. I recall mousing over part of the screen would go back to that dreaded windows screen with all the useless tabs I ended up getting rid of. It's a matter of personal taste, but Windows 8 on a laptop or computer seems very... unnecessary to me. Just my personal opinion; do research on it before getting one to see if you'll like it.
Gonna guess it's a few factors
a) hardware sucks.  You changed your laptop from one that runs Windows 8 to one that runs Windows 7, which is wholly indicative of hardware failure.
b) you're downloading a ton of apps that work on windows 7 - the problem with these apps is that there's  no windows 8 version yet.  It slowed down my friend's laptop heavily until he downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (because I tend to be smart about my internet browsing).  In fact, he downloaded a metric asston of these which completely destroyed his laptop.

Just gonna chime in and say that Windows 8 really isn't that bad. The only real difference between 7 and 8 is the lack of Start Button (which is such an insane nonissue since we have a Windows Key on our keyboards which does the same thing), and the new Start Menu which covers the whole screen instead of being a pop-up window (but it's really not that bad).
Put your mouse in the lower left corner.  You don't need no windows key ;o

All I can really say is avoid Acer Aspire laptops. I've had three and all of them had to have the same part repaired (the bit you plug the charger into before the warranty ran out and the two which are broken had it happen again after the warranty ran out.
I've had mine since February and I've had zero issues.  If you keep having the one part repaired it's your laptop itself thats faulty.  Had the same harddrive issue twice with an old Inspiron I used to have which was an issue with my particular model and not the whole line of laptops.

Kit - the 15R is actually pretty cheap for good specs.  I've had my own issues with it but people generally like it.  It'll last you like 3 years though, maybe more if you don't handle your hardware as poorly as I do.  I don't exactly have the softest touch...
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 20:02 »
build your own computerrr

mine cost me just over $1000... it can run any game on high quality and boots up in 5 seconds. google what parts you should get for your own specific needs, since i think that for like 500 euro you should be able to build a pretty good system for art and rendering things. look into it, building a computer sounds way more complicated than it actually is, especially with all of the step-by-steps online.

Offline Moon Chaser

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 20:21 »
I've had mine since February and I've had zero issues.  If you keep having the one part repaired it's your laptop itself thats faulty.  Had the same harddrive issue twice with an old Inspiron I used to have which was an issue with my particular model and not the whole line of laptops.

All three acer aspires I've owned have had that problem and all three were different models.