Author Topic: RULES: Updated  (Read 9665 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Typhlosion

RULES: Updated
« on: March 04, 2010, 21:51 »
So yeah, we've like, rewritten them and stuff.

You should probably, I dunno, read them or something.

Erm.

Yeah.

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
Re: RULES: Updated
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 22:02 »
Ahahahahahah.  Not only are they more enjoyable to read (consistent with the site's dry humour and such) they're also more flexible and lovely and stuff.

I sense gooood things to come.   Awesome, work, guys.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 22:08 »
typo:  positing in rule 3.

Also, damn, i can't start a world war now

EDIT:  Looking through, i'm loving this concise ruleset now.  it's pretty solid.  I think a list of swears should be posted somewhere, though...
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Winston Payne

• A Real Nowhere Man
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • There I will go.
    • View Profile
    • Covered Wars, Allegedly.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 22:11 »
I think a list of swears should be posted somewhere, though...
In the form of an audio file of a barbershop quartet reciting the forbidden words?

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 22:44 »
Wow, these new rules are excellent, nice and common sense-y Great work. I wonder how this change the atmosphere of the forums in the future.

Offline Enigma

• Here to train for the Kanto League 8]
  • Elite Four Member
  • Joeno Fan
  • Back for a bit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 22:57 »
Jumping on the bandwagon, loving the rule changes and consolidatingness. Good times for the site! <3

Offline Zy

• Ice and Lightning
  • Sentret Fan
  • Time for a true display of skill!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 23:00 »
I'll be the first to throw negativity out there and say that I'm not too sure it'll be as great as people think.

that said, I'm willing to give it a while before making any further comments. I just think people are putting a bit too much hope into this.
| | | |

MonsterMon64

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 23:25 »
I'm appreciative enough that the rules are a smooth read, which I think is the most important part-- and a welcome surprise at what difference it makes. ;D

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 01:27 »
I'll be the first to throw negativity out there and say that I'm not too sure it'll be as great as people think.
Why not, exactly?
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Zy

• Ice and Lightning
  • Sentret Fan
  • Time for a true display of skill!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 08:46 »
Why not, exactly?
feel free to disagree [and you likely will]
but to me, a relaxation of the rules isn't really enough.
sure it sets new guidelines for staff and whatnot, but again, it all comes to the discretion of the staff at hand. Not saying I doubt the moderation team in any way.
I'm also not saying this won't have a change and effect. It will, it just won't be as momentally ground-breaking as everyone else thinks.
| | | |

Offline Mushroom

• PKMN.NET's Original Pirate Captain
  • Elite Four Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "Last Post On The Page" King
    • View Profile
    • My Music Review Site
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 09:38 »
We did spend a good 2 hours discussing the rule changes, how to enforce them etc. We're not just here taking a new set of rules make up by 1 person and enforcing them. We discussed what needs to be relaxed, what tightened etc as a TEAM.

Offline Pandemonium

• Power is means, not an end
  • Gym League Members
  • Sentret Fan
  • Sabrina~
    • View Profile
    • Project Haruhi-- We're not interested in ORDINARY cartoons.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 10:35 »
We did spend a good 2 hours discussing the rule changes, how to enforce them etc. We're not just here taking a new set of rules make up by 1 person and enforcing them. We discussed what needs to be relaxed, what tightened etc as a TEAM.
I appreciate that, but I actually agree with Zy. I've been pretty against changing the rules at all from the start; they worked fine when i was a newbie and I've always followed them happily ever since (with only maybe 2 or 3 very minor slipups)... so why others feel they need to change is beyond me. The obvious ones that simply go with the times (joeno rule and sig size) sure, but practically all of them?... I really don't see why.

I'm quite upset that the three word rule gone. ;;

The rules were one of the things I really respected about the forum over (closing in on 6 years) time here. I'm really sad to see such a drastic change.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:39 by Pandemonium »

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 10:37 »
I'm really sad to see the three word rule gone. ;;

5. No Spamming That is, don't post multiple times in a row, don't post off-topic, don't post the same topic or post multiple times. Common sense stuff. To help enforce this, we enforce that any post containing just two words or less will be deleted when found, regardless of content. This is to ensure consistency.

3 word rule is still here. ;)

I've never been supportive of the idea of changing the rules, but they don't seem any different at all. They're just merged and condensed, so it still works out I guess. I wasn't there for the meeting last night so I don't know all the changes and I've had to guess at them, so I'm probably wrong somewhere.

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"

Offline Pandemonium

• Power is means, not an end
  • Gym League Members
  • Sentret Fan
  • Sabrina~
    • View Profile
    • Project Haruhi-- We're not interested in ORDINARY cartoons.
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 10:45 »
It's almost hidden, what's the point in that? It's like it's not a rule in itself... as long as there are people who only scanread them (which there always will be, it's the natural way to do it for most)... rules like that that won't be followed. If it's different it needs to be the main topic of the rule.

These are actually harder to read than the others, in my opinion. At least the others made every rule clear as day. ><

it should be

RULE - explanation

not

RULE - explanation - OH, and this is another rule

I guess I better go reread them, if I missed stuff ó-o

EDIT: I see that's the only case like that, but I still think it should be separated for clarity reasons.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:49 by Pandemonium »

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 15:09 »
The rules haven't changed a great deal, like others said they have been condensed a lot. They also have a much more friendly tone to them

it should be

RULE - explanation

not

RULE - explanation - OH, and this is another rule

I guess I better go reread them, if I missed stuff ó-o

EDIT: I see that's the only case like that, but I still think it should be separated for clarity reasons.

See, this is what I don't like. Some of us don't like to be treated like children and given SOLID RULES as if we can't follow simple guidelines. It's a forum not a board game, why should it be assumed that we're idiots who can't act properly. It still amazes me how a lot of the people here who boast a high IQ and excellent school grades are still apparently to stupid to know how to act around other people.

If you're in need of being bossed around then there's an army out there who would love to have you join them, but even they have an excuse to do so because it really is a matter of life and death for them, the same can't be said for a pokemon forum however.

At it's core a forum is just a social gathering, if you need to be told how to be sociable then you shouldn't be here at all.