Poll

Why is using not very used Pokémon important?

Because they need love ♥
8 (53.3%)
Because they can be a nasty surprise for the opponent.
5 (33.3%)
They aren't lol.
1 (6.7%)
↑ I think the one who voted for that has no idea on Pokémon.
1 (6.7%)
I am doubting more than Descartes. Give me some more time to think, please.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Unsuspected, "unviable" Niche Pokémon of the Day  (Read 39823 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

E.C.A.M.B.S.

Re: Unsuspected, "unviable" Niche Pokémon of the Day
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2014, 04:05 »
What's with all the Poison types?

Offline Raphetty

• Streetpasser Extraordinaire
  • Name Rater Hater
  • 54 Mii Plaza Accomplishments; 924 Plaza Population
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2014, 09:30 »
Tyranitar, Heatran, blobs. They are very problematic for Crobat's "sweep" if using a Nasty Plot set; I know it because I have tried this before, trust me.

Better in lower tiers then? Also if you saw those in team preview you would try to eliminate them before setting up.

What's with all the Poison types?

Sounds like a theme to me.

3DS FC: 3067 - 6449 - 6265 ... Sun trainer name: Rafipi ... X trainer name: Brennica
Omega Ruby trainer name: Moga ... Alpha Sapphire trainer name: Rosella

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2014, 10:25 »
You forgot to mention U-Turn on Crobat.
Slowly an old member..

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2014, 13:04 »
Better in lower tiers then? Also if you saw those in team preview you would try to eliminate them before setting up.

If you're going to use a set-up special sweeper in UU, you're certainly not going to use NP Crobat as there are much more powerful attackers in there. Chandelure, for example, has a humongous 145 base Sp. Atk, double that of Crobat's measly 70. Whilst Chandelure is slower and lacks NP, it makes up for that in sheer power right off the bat, and doesn't need to take a turn to be able to try and hurt the opponent's team. Other sweepers with better power and better movepools in UU include Nidoking, Hydreigon, Alakazam, Azelf and even Jirachi. NP Crobat does not rank anywhere near to the levels of the aforementioned Pokémon.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Pokémon Breeder (For Petz, ask Petzbreeder ;3)
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2014, 00:27 »
If you're going to use a set-up special sweeper in UU, you're certainly not going to use NP Crobat as there are much more powerful attackers in there. Chandelure, for example, has a humongous 145 base Sp. Atk, double that of Crobat's measly 70. Whilst Chandelure is slower and lacks NP, it makes up for that in sheer power right off the bat, and doesn't need to take a turn to be able to try and hurt the opponent's team. Other sweepers with better power and better movepools in UU include Nidoking, Hydreigon, Alakazam, Azelf and even Jirachi. NP Crobat does not rank anywhere near to the levels of the aforementioned Pokémon.

This, basically. Crobat's coverage is not great, while Chandelure's and Nidoking's is, whilst they can hold a Choice Scarf as well.

You forgot to mention U-Turn on Crobat.

I do not like using U-Turn on Pokémon that are weak to Stealth Rock, especially if they are relatively bulky or Archeops. Yanmega would be the exception because it almost has no moves, and the Choice Specs version has almost perfect coverage with just two moves.

Today, in order to keep with the tradition of trolling, I will write about Poliwrath (take that, Poison Types!).

The Australian face of doom is from MetaSprite.

Yes, this is serious. Taking Poliwrath down is no laughing matter; its Water/Fighting type, just shared by Keldeo, is far from outrageous, being it excellent both offensively and defensively. Ah, and its stats are not slouch either, just take a look:

Poliwrath
HP: 85 | Attack: 95 (85 before Generation VI) | Defence: 95 | Special Attack: 70 | Special Defence: 90 | Speed: 70

As stated before, its stats demonstrate it does not seem easy to OHKO, and its abilities (Water Absorb, Damp, and its Hidden Ability Swift Swim) just reinforce Poliwrath's toughness. With those balanced stats and good typing, Poliwrath is capable of surprising the opponent; it has a lot of moves and viable combinations if it does not mind losing either Speed or Special Attack. Access to Encore, a STAB, damaging phazing move in Circle Throw, and good synergy with practically every Pokémon are the icing of the cake for our polliwog friend.

Sets? Consider using Water Absorb and Swift Swim. The latter is especially useful in Doubles while using Belly Drum.

PoliBoah

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature (+Att, -SpA)
EV: 132 HP/252 Att/124 Spe
Ability: Water Absorb

Substitute
Focus Punch
Waterfall/Ice Punch
Encore/Bulk Up/Toxic/Circle Throw

Most people forget that Poliwrath is one of the few Pokémon that can effectively use Focus Punch without losing much, if any, momentum. This is due to its ability, Water Absorb, and the fact it forces switches due to its excellent typing. Moreover, this ability to force switches can be strengthened with Encore, causing even more switches. In any case, Substitute is an abvious move for Poliwrath on this set because, otherwise, using Focus Punch would be too dangerous. Along Focus Punch and Substitute, Poliwrath has freedom to choose two more moves, all of them viable. Waterfall is the other STAB attack, dealing with Talonflame, but Ice Punch offers a means to damage Landorus and Gligar for more damage, as well as damaging Dragon Types that would resist Focus Punch such as Dragonite. The fourth move is not meant to eliminate targets per se, but to either enhance Poliwrath's capacity to receive hits, deal them, and/or set up with ease. Encore forces the opponent locked into Water attacks or status moves to switch, thus enabling Poliwrath to either use Focus Punch or set up a Substitute. Bulk Up is very interesting; its Substitutes will become harder to break and its attacks more difficult to resist. Toxic offers a means to hurt those Pokémon that otherwise would not care about Focus Punch and Waterfall/Ice Punch, such as the rare Jellicnet, and Circle Throw is there just to get some extra damage from hazards, if you have some on the opponent's side.

The EV in HP and Attack are easy to understand, but the Speed ones do not seem so obvious; the importance of 124 EV in Speed is crucial, because without them, Poliwrath would be outsped by 0 Speed Bold Suicune, and outspeeding it is important to lock it into Scald if using Encore. Swift Swim is not considered because it is illegal with Focus Punch, and Water Absrob is, overall, more useful for this bulky set.

What is a Politoed?

Poliwrath @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature (+Att, -SpA)
EV: 44 HP/252 Att/4 Def/208 Spe
Ability: Swift Swim

Belly Drum
Waterfall
Brick Break/Earthquake
Ice Punch/Poison Jab/Rock Slide/Refresh/Rain Dance

This set is the pinnacle of suicide. While one has other Swift Swim abusers or Belly Drum users (Kabutops for the former and Azumarill for the latter), no one presents its typing and good power/bulk/speed ratio, and there is no such thing as a Belly Drummer that can abuse Swift Swim other than Poliwrath. Although very difficult to use, this set is devastating if used properly, as nothing would like to switch into Poliwrath unless it is safe to do so, and the most clear of example of this is a fainted partner followed by Talonflame's Choice Banded Brave Bird. In any event, Belly Drum is the boosting move of choice, and along Sitrus Berry, Poliwrath will be powerful and bulky enough to resist some hits and OHKO most things in return. Waterfall is a must, especially because it acts as a STAB and is powered under Rain, not to say that the flinch might be useful due to the fact Poliwrath outspeeds most things it might not be able to OHKO.

Due to Poliwrath's scarce physical movepool, it has to rely on Brick Break as its second STAB move, but if one can choose Earthquake as well just in case, but usually Brick Break is the best choice (at the cost of being walled by Jellicent). Finally, due to its limitations, Poliwrath can use Ice Punch, Poison Jab, and Rock Slide as offensive options: Ice Punch damages Dragons that resist Water and Fighting for more damage, Poison Jab has a chance to Poison pesky Fairy types barring Klefki, and Rock Slide is greatly appreciated by Brick Break and Earthquake because of its superb coverage. If one prefers to keep alive for longer, Refresh is used instead of Rest in order to just cure Burns, Paralysis and Poison, which would ruin Poliwrath's sweep; Rest would be too dangerous without a cleric, and even so, it would require Poliwrath to give up the boost from Belly Drum. Between these worlds, Rain Dance offers the balance; it supports the team and itself, while proroguing its sweeping time.

The EV are far from complex: 252 EV in Attack are to achieve as many OHKOs as possible, while 208 EV in Speed outrun Jolly 232 Speed EV Choice Scarf Landorus. No, Poliwrath should go Jolly if it wishes to outspeed Terrakion and Latios sporting scarves, and often an Adamant nature is necessary. 44 HP EV ensure an even number in Poliwrath's Health Bar, thus activating the Sitrus Berry after Belly Drum; 4 EV in Defence are put there not to use them in HP. It's very important to pair it with a Rain Summoner, or otherwise this Poliwrath is pretty much playing with a huge disadvantage.

Poliwrath, the first "Do you even lift!?" Water Pokémon. Whether Australian or from another part of the world, always be prepared to hit it with a Super Effective hit; the contrary shall cost you a hard time, or even defeat.

So, what do you think about Poliwrath? Should we ship Tasha with it? May the power of the Poli compel you? More in the next article about our favourite Rotom forme!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 16:43 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2014, 02:07 »
Wow, I will tell you what you did:

I write about Crobat, you comment on Crobat. Later, I write about Qwilfish, you keep commenting on Crobat. And I, finally, write about Poliwrath, and you do nothing. Interesting, at least. As today's man of honour.

Today, due to popular demand by RubyRobin and Spriter, we will cover the man of the one hundred and one disasters, the prince of femaledoging! Today, we are talking about… Spriter/Will!

We finally have a Clawitzer sprite… by MetaSprite! (And used by Will!)

Let us be honest: Will should be suspected. Why? Because of its Ghost/Dark typing, along excellent attack, powerful priority in Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch, his abilities, and a large &c. Do you not believe me yet? Check these stats out:

Spriter
HP: 120 | Attack: 204 | Defence: 120 | Special Attack: 100 | Special Defence: 120 | Speed: 16

Moreover, his stories are worth a "liek if u cri evrytiem", which is the icing of the ban. Look, even his sets are broken beyond belief; the only safe check is Rotom-W!

"lol"

Spriter @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature (+Serious, -Mercy)
EV: 248 HP/252 Att/4 Def/4 SpD
Ability: Super Luck

Body Slam
Stone Edge
Icicle Crash
Shadow Claw

This is Spriter's only set in competitive; given the h4x he produces by just touching the battlefield, the opponent is likely to disconnect immediately. If this is not the case, Spriter will tell them the hard way why he is known as "h4xémon". With Super Luck, Spriter's capacity to cause h4x is increased from 100% to infinity, causing major grief among Shell Armor or Battle Armor users. In any event, Body Slam is what Spriter should be using most of the times: if it does not OHKO the opponent, it will paralyse it, and guess what, it will never move. Stone Edge and Icicle Crash provide exceptional coverage altogether and, despite their accuracy, they will never miss. In the last slot, Shadow Claw is the STAB move of choice, as it allows Spriter to even Crit under the No-Crit Clause, causing either an instaban or a dramatic ragequit.

The EV spread, along the nature, are very straightforward; invest to the maximum in Attack while using 248 EV in HP to achieve an odd number, then 4 EV in each defence for a balanced set. Life Orb helps Spriter getting even more OHKOs (stop already, let me win for once ;~;).

Rotom-W strikes again? Dinkelrsby…

Spriter @ Lum Berry
Hasty Nature (+Swiftness, -Luck)
EV: 252 Att/252 SpA/4SpD
Ability: Motor Drive

Hydro Pump
Will-o-Wisp
U-Turn
Refresh

Will tries to chat. Sometimes. And if he is not whining because we can not achieve his level of perfection is because his mobile/cell phone has mergered with Spriter's body, and Spriter has margered with a washing machine Rotom-Wash, and because of that, Spriter has demonstrated to us that Pokémon do exist. At any rate, Hydro Pump is the main "STAB", and it ensures a OHKO to most electronic devices emanating Internet. Will-o-Wisp overheats those devices if they are not dead already, because one can never be sure, especially if you happen to be Rotom-Was**troll. U-Turn is there because, after all, you do want to connect to the Internet to lurk around, and it is not walled by Ground Types, not to say it takes advantage of Will's greatest stat. Finally, Refresh is to cure all burns by just pressing F5, simple as that.

The nature and EV crave maximum power while desiring to connect to the Internet as fast as possible, a Lum Berry is the item of choice to avoid Refreshing too much, and the ability Motor Drive is chosen just in case an Electric Shock impacts Will so that he can hurry up to creep around some more with IRC.

"La sombra del esprités es alargada"

Spriter @ Smoke Ball
Lonely Nature (+Alone, -Companion)
EV: 252 Att/252 SpA/4 SpD
Ability: Magnet Pull

Follow Me
Shadow Sneak
Disarming Voice
Parting Shot

Ah, girls, Will's major weakness barring Rotom-W and non-h4xy games. How can he get some of them? No, I don't mean non-h4xy games nor Rotoms, because that would be bad, after all! I mean girls, who he actually likes. Follow Me is used to attract the attention of the target and to drag her into his van with a lollipop. What a filthy pedo. so that he can talk to her. After their encounter (forced by him), if there is necessity, or if he is simply bored, he will use Shadow Sneak to stalk actively look after his victim love object; if she does not notice him, good, but, in the other scenario, Will (will) have serious problems; it will be the time to use with haste and charm Disarming Voice, hoping for the best. If the woman is still armed and pointing at him, gg wp, run away (good thing you've got a Smoke Ball, huh!) while using Parting Shot, lowering her offences significantly enough to escape mostly unharmed. If she is compelled by Disarming Voice, use Disarming Voice as well to get her into your van keep dating and doing this kind of stuff more frequently. Who knows, they might even use Play Rough at some point!

The EV and Nature are more than bvious (again), why do you keep asking for them? What, that you have not asked anything regarding the EV spread and the nature of the set? Liar! But I will let you know that Magnet Pull is to attract wealthy woman!

Spriter/Will, the very what user. Do not disturb him while trying to refresh his mobile phone while using a date website or else he will h4x you life forever.

So, what do you think about Spriter? Should he become the golden single man of the millenium? Should he sprite instead of borrowing them from Kay? More next week!

Schedule: Nice try.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 16:13 by Delicious_Scout »
Click on that smexy Tyranaggronigroking to visit my our IV Shop. And possibly buy something.

Offline The Shrub Dragon

• so this one time i put milk in the kettle
  • Joeno Fan
  • uh
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2014, 08:39 »
this was brutal </3

sorry will he loves you i promise

thanks gl <3

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2014, 11:53 »
Ouch, lmao xD

Nah, jokes aside that was a good one, nice work :P

does this mean I have to get a van licence to make the article seem more legit

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2014, 13:24 »
^Yes, it's required.

Anyways, after looking at the other user's articles, I half dread what he's got for me. It would be odd if he did mine on Saturday, since my HS's huge rivalry game is that day.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2014, 16:09 »
^Yes, it's required.

Anyways, after looking at the other user's articles, I half dread what he's got for me. It would be odd if he did mine on Saturday, since my HS's huge rivalry game is that day.

It alternates between male and female members each week so based on that it won't be this week for you (as a prediction) =P

These member articles are always so good to read, a great addition to the series Martí =]

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2014, 17:02 »
So, what do you think about Poliwrath? Should we ship Tasha with it? May the power of the Poli compel you? More in the next article about our favourite Rotom forme!

Oh... my girlfriend and a Poliwrath yay... :(
Slowly an old member..

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2014, 23:20 »
Oh... my girlfriend and a Poliwrath yay... :(

Quick! Use "Wide Guard"! As quick as today's Pokémon…

As stated before, today's Pokémon is very quick… and as cute as Tasha. Please, receive fabulously our guest, Cinccino.

Once again, victory's for MetaSprite.

When one sees Cinccino for the first time, one can not help but think "cute, useless Pokémon". I say, these are not good manners. First off, its abilities are top-notch killers; these are Cute Charm (♥), Technician (not bad at all), and Skill Link (a rara avis). Especially because of the two latter, Cinccino is not to be underestimated, even with its otherwise low stats:

Cinccino
HP: 75 | Attack: 95 | Defence: 60 | Special Attack: 65 | Special Defence: 60 | Speed: 115

Nevertheless, one has to consider the advantages and disadvantages of the other relevant Skill Link users available (Mega Heracross and Cloyster, Ambipom is better-off using Technician). While Mega Heracross has a mastodonic base Attack, access to Sword Dance, good typing in Bug/Fighting, and nice overall bulk; and Cloyster has excellent defences, access to Shell Shmash, the ability to use an item, actual mixed capabilities, a nice Water/Ice typing, and the ability to lay entry hazards, Cinccino has little to offer over them, but these traits are significant enough to consider it for your team. First off, it does not rely in a Mega Stone (Mega Heracross), Focus Sash, or Mental Herb to work twice (Cloyster), Cinccino can actually hold a Choice Item, a Life Orb without caring a lot (it is already frail), and even a King's Rock to cause a ragequit-inducing 41% chance of flinching due to Skill Link and any multi-hit move. Moreover, Cinccino has access to two moves they would love to have; Knock Off and U-Turn can turn Cinccino into a very capable scout capable of dealing respectable amounts of trolling. Ah, talking about trolling, its base Speed is above the average, abuse it. Don't let its RU status for two Generations straight and its pure Normal type fool you, Cinccino is as cute as deadly: a lot.

Pay attention to the set; although it is easy to see the basics, each component might do a bit of difference:

It's so fluffy I'm gonna be violently murdered

Cinccino @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Life Orb/King's Rock
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -Att)
EV: 252 Att/4 SpD/252 Spe
Ability: Skill Link

Tail Slap
Rock Blast
Bullet Seed
Knock Off/U-Turn

These are the moves Cinccino should be using, and they complement very well each other. Do you want to hit hard, with a chance to OHKO? Use Tail Slap. Do you want to hit for Super Effective Damage? Either Rock Blast or Bullet Seed. Do you want to hit with perfect accuracy with moderate power? Either Bullet Seed, Knock Off, or U-Turn. It's worth mentioning that the last slot is more about supporting than killing; for example, Knock Off eliminates items, while U-Turn scouts very well in conjunction with Cinccino's very high Speed.

The item chosen is the key (or how Cinccino should be used). If one strives to break walls or scout with potent moves, Choice Band is the way to go. Do you want to revenge kill easily and scout with even more ease? Choice Scarf is the item that should be selected. Liberty to choose moves or punch-holer? Life Orb. To annoy? King's Rock, which also works well as an all-out attacker with a Life Orb.

252 EV in Attack, as well as in Speed, along 4 EV in SpD and a Jolly, allow Cinccino to hit as hard and fast as possible, keep an even HP number (in case of recoil from Life Orb and hazards) and oblige Porygon to grab an Attack boost via download thanks to 4 EV into Special Defence; although the latter is strange, it is better to play with caution. Technician can be used if one feels lucky, but King's Rock should be discarted automatically, and a higher damage output is not guaranteed.

Cinccino, the super mega fabulous Pokémon. It might look as naughty and expensive as Paris Hilton, but this little Pokémon knows how to defend itself without calling its bodyguards (hint: its bodyguard is its own body).

So, what do you think about Ciccino? Should it be recalled "Fabulousccino"? Should it get a Stats increase? Next and more tomorrow!

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2014, 23:49 »
If Cinncino had about 10 or 20 more attack or speed points, it would likely be UU.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Delicious_Scout

• Typhlosion Fan
  • Buttébutt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2014, 15:15 »
The point is that it is not hard to see Cinccino in UU; if it had 115 Attack it could make it into OU (no, let's be honest, BL because there are other Skill Linkers). In Speed? It is already very competent in that department, it would not make that difference (unless you really want to outspeed Mega Pidgeot).

If nothing happens this will be reserved for the next Pokémon
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 15:17 by Delicious_Scout »

MonsterMon64

« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2014, 20:36 »
Oh, something's happening alright!

Been glancing at this topic here and there, and I gotta say, pretty good stuff overall! (The member-based entries are, of course, pretty darn amusing)

Anyway, I'm a bit late to the party with this question, but it's been bugging me for some time now: Is there any room on the Stoutland set for Play Rough? It seems like one of the more interesting options that came along for it this gen, plus I'm curious as to what hits Conkeldurr harder between a super effective Play Rough and STAB Return, since you mentioned Conkeldurr.