Author Topic: Glow Punch?  (Read 4762 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

quack98

Re: Glow Punch?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 19:02 »
Sounds intriguing, although it could be some crazy 6v6 battle (as in all 6 out at once)  :laugh:

I think if they do release a new game mechanic it is certainly a likely possibility; but it may be like combination moves in Gen V, where they only released 3 after saying they were included.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 19:15 »
Many Pokemon don't learn moves of their types. I mean, look at me. I can learn Grass Knot and Scald. Fennekin's final evolution will certainly be bipedal, but Glow Punch doesn't necessarily have to be the same type as the Pokemon.
This better not be some sort of posting gimmick

It didn't sound super effective to me.

You know what I think though? I think it will be dual typed.
Where did this idea come from?
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 22:04 »
Dry Skin Parasect is technically capable of being 8x weak to Fire attacks.

I don't know if I'd like dual-type moves. It seems kind of cool, but also seems a bit overpowered if not done carefully. I guess all I can say is it would be interesting.

I'm also willing to bet it was a troll thing. They know how much people don't want a third Fire/Fighting, so why not mess with everyone?
Discord - richardblaziken

quack98

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 22:08 »
I'm also willing to bet it was a troll thing. They know how much people don't want a FOURTH Fire/Fighting, so why not mess with everyone?

Sorry, just fixed your point. Makes it even more valid. But yeah, I suppose they won't be that stupid. They won't do something that will only lose sales.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 22:09 »
I guess I just subconsciously don't acknowledge that Infernape exists.

quack98

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 22:13 »
I guess I just subconsciously don't acknowledge that Infernape exists.

Can't say I blame you  ;D

Or maybe you subconsciously class Blaziken as a god, not a Pokémon :tongue2:

Edit: Just a thought; if GF are just doing this to tease people, how far do you think they'll take it? Do you think they'll stop her; or will they make it look more likely before saying 'haha, no it's psychic!'? I personally think it'd be hilarious if it used Focus Punch in the next trailer :tongue2:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 22:19 by Робин »

Offline Silverwing Bloodsplash

• Hey bros, since when I was a
  • Rob Fan
  • Sexy Smooth Silver Swagger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 05:20 »
I don't mind Fennekin becoming bipedal, but I will not tolerate another Fire/Fighting starter. We already have three of those. Maybe Game Freak is trying to create another Blaziken?
.-v-.

Offline NTN

• 2010: Role Playing at its finest.
  • Mulholland Fan
  • My precious... >:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 06:10 »
But we have to consider that this is Fennekin using the move. Since it doesn't appear to be Fire/Fighting now, I'm sure it will develop Fighting-type traits, such as moves, later on, should it be Fire/Fighting. Remember, this is still its basic stage. As Monferno was the one to learn Mach Punch, not Chimchar, and Pignite learned Arm Thrust while Tepig couldn't, Fighting-type attacks may be so close yet so far for a Fire/Fighting-line Fennekin. This punch could be Psychic, Fairy, or a signature-move in either case. The kind of attitude X and Y comes around with is the tendency to try new things, so I'm not worried Fennekin would end up as Fire/Fighting. Also, since we've just had Zen Mode Darmanitan and more importantly Victini, the Fire/Psychic type combination may be on Game Freak's mind right now to make the typing more abundant. They may immortalize the combo by making it the type of a starter.

This "Glow Punch" could always be Fighting-type, and that's the point, but if we knew for sure, it wouldn't prove that Fennekin is Fire/Fighting. The thing is, something is still off about how early the Pokémon learns this move.

The move's name, Glow Punch, sounds pretty special. "Glow" has the connotation of Fairy type, and from what we know about it, it's super effective on Dragon, an uncommon type. Fairy type's purpose could be targeting other uncommon types in terms of weaknesses, such as Normal. So a Fairy-type Glow Punch may define the possibly super effective attack on a Fire/Normal-type in the video.   
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 06:43 by Draghost haunts the site! »
I am your master.

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 08:35 »
Targeting Normal doesn't make much sense, in my opinion, as Normal types have never dominated the metagame, having STAB attacks that have no Super Effective coverage. Blissey's only OU because of her HP and Sp. Defense, and I can't even think of another OU Normal type off the top of my head. It's a pretty poor type, being resisted by two types and doing nothing to Ghosts. In fact, thinking about it, Normal and Dragon are pretty similar in terms of type coverage, but Dragon is just better in every way.

Offline NTN

• 2010: Role Playing at its finest.
  • Mulholland Fan
  • My precious... >:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 22:55 »
I was taking less of a competitive battling approach and more of a creative one. Dragon got a new weakness, and that made me think that in a later generation Ghost will gain another as well (unless Fairy is super effective in that case and we just don't know it), and that a type might not have one weakness forever. I wouldn't be speaking for the metagame. It makes sense for Normal, plain and dull, to be beaten by Fairy, sparkly and creative. Of course the metagame won't fall behind. If Normal is targeted, since the type doesn't succeed in the metagame as is, it wouldn't make much sense, but it wouldn't hurt, either.
I am your master.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 01:26 »
I don't think normal's type effectiveness will ever change. I think the idea with normal is that it's so bog-standard that it doesn't make sense to give it arbitrary strengths and weaknesses. Most of the weakest Pokemon in the game are normal type, if they had a ton of weaknesses they would be in too much danger, but it's not impossible to use a normal type well. They are a good blank canvas so to speak.

With Fairy I think A) A new type was inevitable regardless of what it was and B) They wanted to introduce a new element into the metagame by nerfing dragons. I'm 90% sure Fairy will end up weak to Poison and Steel, as this ties in with folklore and also gives those two types a much needed offensive boost. I'm not sure what else it will be weak to though.

Right now, they'll probably use Fairy as a way of making cute Pokemon relevant again - let's face it, as Pokemon technology has improved, it's super easy to take part in battle tournaments with your DS alone, as well as the VGC stuff which is nice. But unfortunately they don't leave a lot of options open to young girls or people who like the 'cute' Pokemon because they're basically useless against a competitive Dragon (which is silly when they are often the mascot characters of Pokemon).

Fairies won't give it all to them on a plate though, they will likely play a cleric role and hopefully begin to make the metagame more defensive which could be nice. I like it though, it makes people think twice about sending out their Dragon to Draco Meteor everything and we'll see more mixed teams as a result. In the future Fairy will likely shrug off the 'cute' connotations and will likely be more forest/nature based rather than cute pink blobs, that will probably be when we see Fairy becoming more offensive and really coming into its own as a type - and yes, we will likely see more Dragons too. I doubt they will boost the power of dragons but they will give them more interesting moves/abilities and maybe even introduce them earlier on in the game in varying forms.

Ultimately it'll be a good thing, they could have really botched a new type but I think it could become a very interesting addition.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 04:36 »
Turner answer my question

*snip*
I can list around 5-6 moves that end in punch that are not fighting type.  Can we drop this line of conversation about Fennekin being part fighting type?  Yall realize that nintendo are fairly receptive to their fans and wouldn't attempt to troll us with a fourth one in a row right?

Offline Utack and Swampy

• "Generally, anything in the 31-28 range is fantastic, 27-24 is ok, 23-lower is no."
  • Fan Fan
  • Smooth as a Silcoon~
    • View Profile
    • My Art
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 06:59 »
Can we drop this line of conversation about Fennekin being part fighting type?  Yall realize that nintendo are fairly receptive to their fans and wouldn't attempt to troll us with a fourth one in a row right?

An advertisement showed it using what appears to be a fighting type move. I'd say that's a decent reason to have Fighting Type speculation. As for trolling, they've not only given us an ice cream pokemon, but also a Cotton Candy Pokemon... I wouldn't put it past them to make another Fire/Fighting just for the heck of it.

Thank's to Blake... for the awesome sig!

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 15:02 »
I hope you didn't half-read my post

There are enough people who liked the Vanillite line that I wouldn't consider it trolling, btw.  Who's the cotton candy Pokemon?

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 15:12 »
Well it's definitely an interesting speculation point, I REALLY hope they don't give us another Fire/Fighting and I'm sure they won't but the whole thing is pretty amusing/worrysome in a light hearted way. If it is another Fire/Fighting I just won't use it, but personally I think Froakie is going to be the Fighting dual type this time around, it seems to have a 'combat stance' and I can imagine it kicking stuff in the anime very well.

Anyway, about Dual-typed attacks, the leak that has been proven correct so far said that there were a few dual-type attacks. It's a long shot and Glow Punch will probably just end up being a physical psychic attack like Zen Headbutt but I thought I'd throw the speculation out there anyway just in case it turns out to be correct.