Author Topic: Ridiculous prices of today  (Read 4922 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline The name master

• The name rater's rival!
  • Joeno Fan
  • I rate your nicknames (unofficially)
    • View Profile
Ridiculous prices of today
« on: March 18, 2016, 19:13 »
Today, I bought a galaxy (my first one!) it was nice (but dairy milk will always kick galaxy's ass!) but it was very thin. It cost 65P (0.94 dollars) and, before,  it was probably the same price, and was thicker. So for a of things, we're paying more for less.

PS: you all wanted a productive thread that encourages discussion, well, you got one! Now stop complaining!
Thanks to Inferna for one of the many reasons why I love Dragonite!

Offline lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes

• 🌘
  • Joeno Fan
  • posting on pkmn.net and gets grounded
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous prices of today
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 20:32 »
i hate the subtle shrinkage of chocolate bars. i worked in a supermarket for ~5 years and we couldn't put out a new shipment of mars bars until the old ones had sold cos you could verifiably see they made them ever so slightly noticeably smaller. i mean i woulda cared if the job hadn't killed me on the inside in the 2nd year i guess

ive got a kind of reverse ridic Price Concern about milk? its getting a little too cheap for my liking and kinda depressing me a lot cos someone is eatin that reduction and it aint the supermarkets (its the farmers)

(i deliberately didn't go for freddo bars cos i wanna leave that for someone else)
           

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 20:57 »
(i deliberately didn't go for freddo bars cos i wanna leave that for someone else)

lol how did you know I was going to go there

Back in my day Freddos (and their superior caramel filled brother the Taz bar) were five; yes, FIVE; pence. Penny sweeties actually only cost a penny. And 5p crisps!! Johnny's Onion Rings, Space Raiders, Tangy Toms... I could go to the shop with 50p and make myself sick on crisps and sweets... now I think I'd struggle to get even one bar of chocolate for that money. Jesus Christ I miss the 90s. I'm showing my age now.

Part of my staple diet is tinned tuna but I refuse to buy it because it's so expensive. Fortunately my mum always buys me tins when she and my dad go out of town for shopping so I never go without.

Offline The name master

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 21:02 »
I remember when cans of coke were 50p then they went up to 55p then 65p!

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 21:19 »
But at least video games are cheap right!  Which is kind of an odd thing, considering it seems like food prices are inflating.  But then again currency is going down in value continuously so I guess they have to keep adjusting prices to keep pace.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 21:28 »
reeses cups are so much smaller than they used to be... :(

i feel like prices here in europe are extra stupid though? i don't know if a lot of places here have tax included or what but in my home state we have no tax... wah

Offline The name master

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 21:33 »
it seems like food prices are inflating
You don't need to tell me! LOL!  :D

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 21:38 »
i feel like prices here in europe are extra stupid though? i don't know if a lot of places here have tax included or what but in my home state we have no tax... wah
I think they include their sales tax in their prices, but people in Europe also have way more benefits than us anyway.  I feel like the "higher prices" in Europe compared to the US are looked upon as better for adults than it is for children, since children often don't have to pay for their own insurance and as adults you do.

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 21:40 »
reeses cups are so much smaller than they used to be... :(

I dunno about in Italy but here in the UK certainly prices are inclusive of the 20% vat we pay on everything ;m; though tbh I think I'd rather that than thinking things were mega cheap then discovering I forgot to factor in tax when I get to the checkout, haha. (Or worse, be expected to *gasp* work out tax for myself...)

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 21:44 »
in maryland our sales tax is only 6%

(in tucson, arizona it's 8%, which I know cause I live here)

so it's not like it's suddenly gone from super cheap to somewhat expensive.  We also don't tax food.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 22:04 »
Ohio's is either 6% or 6.5%. We don't pay on groceries but we do at places like Subway and Domino's. It's not too terribly much so i'm not as worried, probably will be more worried when I get a job.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 22:27 »
Well groceries are different than Subway and Dominos.  Restaurants are considered a service rather than a food, which is why you are taxed.  If you bought dough, cheese, sauce, and some other stuff individually to make your own pizza at home, that's not taxed, but since you're paying someone else to prepare it, it is taxed.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 22:29 »
It makes sense to be honest. You can make your own damn pizza at home, so asking someone like that to do it should be counted as a service.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 22:49 »
 The price of train tickets from my town to the city go up by about 10 or 20p every few months then stall then keep going up.

It wouldn't be so bad if we were paying to have First trains but the price goes up and we get crappy 2-carriage Ariva trains at rush hour so everyone has to stand because a bunch of nobs decide "IMMA BOOK THE TABLE SEAT BY MYSELF SO ME, MY BAG, MY LAPTOP, AND MY SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT HAVE A SEAT" so yeah. (I really hate it when singles book the table seat then spill their crap everywhere so nobody can sit). They're almost as bad as the people who'll place their bags on the seat next to them when the bus is packed so you have to stand.

The train services get worse and worse and the prices go up and up. Soon our trains will be like those trains you see in pictures of India with people standing on the roof and stuff (they're so packed see) and the tickets will be like £10.

Offline Kpyna

• Sentret Fan
  • ive got that tune
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 19:22 »
our food tax in NH is 9%. people who travel from other states lose their shizznit over that all the time when they go out to eat.

italy isn't REALLY expensive, i don't know what the tax situation is like. from the guys ive been talking to, they say it really comes out of your paycheck... i went to the netherlands though and WOW everthing was so expensive! 6 euro for a pint of ben and jerry's??? what??? 2 euro for a bottle of water??? what????