Author Topic: Pokemon X and Y: Speculation  (Read 24753 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon X and Y: Speculation
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2013, 01:27 »
Here's something interesting I found out lately:

Pokestar Studios in BW2 was created for two purposes; firstly, GameFreak wanted an area in which Pokemon could battle things that would be considered out of character for the game (UFOs and stuff) and more importantly, an area where new/young players could learn about battling in-depth.

Remember how you have to follow a script which tells you to do stuff like 'Switch items with the prop' 'Survive for x cuts'? Well cleverly, this is actually prep for beginners into the world of Competitive battling (Hence why it appears so early in the game), the idea is to teach people the more in-depth ways of battling beyond using just damaging moves.

IMO this is actually pretty clever and cool, but it made me realize that we've also seen IVs and EVs be given their own pseudo-name in Pokemon (Effort and Potential). I heard that GameFreak staff often travel to watch VGC and stuff and it occurred to me that they probably decided there was a large gap between new and advanced players that should be bridged.

My speculation here is that I'm guessing that they are going to make competitive battling slightly more accessible or do their best to try and open up the metagame to the kids/new players, I think this could be really interesting actually and it'd be nice if we could see the AI use their brains a little more, you could definitely improve the AI and difficulty of the game by allowing more in-game trainers to use these techniques a little bit more, rather than just raising the levels by 5 and just increasing time spent grinding.

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2013, 03:23 »
Here's something interesting I found out lately:

Pokestar Studios in BW2 was created for two purposes; firstly, GameFreak wanted an area in which Pokemon could battle things that would be considered out of character for the game (UFOs and stuff) and more importantly, an area where new/young players could learn about battling in-depth.

Remember how you have to follow a script which tells you to do stuff like 'Switch items with the prop' 'Survive for x cuts'? Well cleverly, this is actually prep for beginners into the world of Competitive battling (Hence why it appears so early in the game), the idea is to teach people the more in-depth ways of battling beyond using just damaging moves.

IMO this is actually pretty clever and cool, but it made me realize that we've also seen IVs and EVs be given their own pseudo-name in Pokemon (Effort and Potential). I heard that GameFreak staff often travel to watch VGC and stuff and it occurred to me that they probably decided there was a large gap between new and advanced players that should be bridged.

My speculation here is that I'm guessing that they are going to make competitive battling slightly more accessible or do their best to try and open up the metagame to the kids/new players, I think this could be really interesting actually and it'd be nice if we could see the AI use their brains a little more, you could definitely improve the AI and difficulty of the game by allowing more in-game trainers to use these techniques a little bit more, rather than just raising the levels by 5 and just increasing time spent grinding.

I've always felt since Gen 3 Game Freak noticed this and improved the metagame. They noticed the biggest flaw at the time; Physical/Special moves and introduced the new EVing items in Gen 4. The introduction of evolves of Pokemon at the time that were much needed and X and Y will do the same.

Join Avenue is a blessing I've only recently found out about, but oh my god this thing is amazing. BW2 are amazing games. I've always thought what it must be like for kids who were our ages when we got into Pokemon originally. They must be having the time of their lives. Seriously BW2 is amazing and probably would be more fun if it wasn't for my age.
Slowly an old member..

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2013, 03:29 »
I would say less improved and more flipped it upside its head.  Gen 4-5 were far different to Gen 3.

Man Sappy, it's funny to think about though, given the fact that a few members at some forums I go (and even here) to were either infants or flat out not even born when we were first playing Red/Blue...  They didn't get the experience of seeing this franchise grow as it has.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2013, 04:27 »
You never know, we might not even see the end of it.

I mean we could all die when it gets to like Gen 50 or something ridiculous. Where you have to catch all 6137 Pokemon. Versions are now completely different regions with only a few Pokemon that are the same. It could be crazy. Pokemon Green could earn you billions if you sold it.
Slowly an old member..

Offline Joe_Pokemon2015- MEGA RAYQUAZA!

• Gen. Giratina: Leader of the Pokemon International Movement. Ternyata semuanya lupa negera Korea...
  • Joeno Fan
  • Giratina: Giygogagohgwooh! to QC for this avatar
    • View Profile
    • Check out my deviantART page! It has Pokemon!
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2013, 10:58 »
You never know, we might not even see the end of it.

I mean we could all die when it gets to like Gen 50 or something ridiculous. Where you have to catch all 6137 Pokemon. Versions are now completely different regions with only a few Pokemon that are the same. It could be crazy. Pokemon Green could earn you billions if you sold it.

Maybe we would. The day Pokemon is dead is when Nintendo is dead.

Offline ajeeth23

• Rob Fan
  • Can you stay up for the weekend?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2013, 14:27 »

And we aren't gonna just sit here and let that happen, are we?
RAjeeth.

(That's how I sign. *shrugs*)

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2013, 17:40 »
Yeah one thing I've learned over the years is that 'Gimmick' features in Pokemon always hold something really amazing underneath. I thought funfest missions were just some kind of local wi-fi minigame stuff until I realized what I could do with pass powers (And also the fact I didn't need other players to do the funfest missions). Searching for those rare 1% Secret Hollow Pokemon (Imposter Ditto, anyone?) is so much easier with pass powers.

Anyway, when X/Y comes out I'm definitely going to explore every single feature, they really crammed everything they could into BW2

I know they were introduced in Platinum (I think) but egg spins as well are such an underrated feature, I remember gathering a ton of eggs and just egg spinning with as many people as I could at MCM, I came home with a box full of eggs I'd recieved and had all kinds of bizzare Pokemon hatching out with varying egg moves and IVs.

Anyway, back to speculation

I'm expecting no cross trading on X/Y, to be honest though. I think we'll get about 100 new Pokemon taking us up to 750 or so and the rest will be all of the previous Pokemon crammed into one region. Maybe some kind of download play will allow you to import some of the legendaries, but I'm not sure.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2013, 23:19 »
I disagree, my good sir.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

• Gen. Giratina: Leader of the Pokemon International Movement. Ternyata semuanya lupa negera Korea...
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2013, 12:20 »
I'm expecting no cross trading on X/Y, to be honest though. I think we'll get about 100 new Pokemon taking us up to 750 or so and the rest will be all of the previous Pokemon crammed into one region. Maybe some kind of download play will allow you to import some of the legendaries, but I'm not sure.

Speculation rebuttal: both the 3DS and the DS probably use the same wireless mechanism, so there will be a possibility of cross-trading. If we expect no cross trading, it would be when there will be a new console with a different architecture and different wireless standard.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2013, 13:57 »
Speculation rebuttal: both the 3DS and the DS probably use the same wireless mechanism, so there will be a possibility of cross-trading. If we expect no cross trading, it would be when there will be a new console with a different architecture and different wireless standard.

That's true, my main argument though wasn't just that it was the amount of references to existing Pokemon we've seen in X/Y so far. Not just the battle scenes (Because that could be there just to hide the new Pokemon) but the statue etc. with Palpitoad/Golurk/etc. on it.

The 3DS and the DS both can trade via wireless/infra-red but that didn't make HG/SS able to trade with B/W, they restricted that to download play only, so I think it has more to do with the compatibility between the carts - which is entirely decided upon by GameFreak

Online Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2013, 16:39 »
I can guarantee you:

* There will be no direct back and forth trading. They tried that between gen 1 and 2 and the restrictions placed were huge, the amount they'd have to add now would make it a lot more difficult.
* Any pal park style trading (whatever this gen's version will be) will use download play or similar, simply because that's the only way the game's save can be accessed and modified to withdraw Pokemon from it. Wireless 'trading' doesn't allow that unless they've built it into BWB2W2 from the start, which I doubt somehow (and even then, who knows whether they transfer the data XY want? It will have changed between gens)
* This won't be restricted to legendaries. See any other gen before, including the outcries and anger there was when gen 3 didn't have it. All the existing references? Sinnoh was similar.
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2013, 10:37 »
* Any pal park style trading (whatever this gen's version will be) will use download play or similar, simply because that's the only way the game's save can be accessed and modified to withdraw Pokemon from it.

Well, basically this is what I meant by cross-trading: a one-way transfer of Pokemon. I believe that I used the term "trading" incorrectly.

Offline a username

• Psythor Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2013, 02:10 »
I'm not too worried about all the cross trading i X&Y because I haven't ever truly cross traded any pokemon ever, unless diamond to soulsiver counts.

And when will new stuff be relased/leaked?! I cannot anymore!
I feed of the souls of the li-

SO I HERD U LIIEK MUDKIPZ

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2013, 13:19 »
Apparently big news is coming on the 19th.

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2013, 15:54 »
Apparently big news is coming on the 19th.
On Pokemon Smash, although there's a CoroCoro due out the Wednesday before, so we could have some new stuff before then...

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"