Author Topic: New Mewtwo Forme Discussion  (Read 19450 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MonsterMon64

Re: X/Y REVEAL NEXT SATURDAY
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2013, 18:28 »
Because a) Those forms improved the Pokemon, rather than make them look worse,
Subjective, much like this whole Newtwo thing. Here's a brief run-dow on my opinion of each Kami guy, in terms of design:
*Therian Landorus: Awesome, no complaints.
*Therian Tornadus: Mixed feelings.
*Therian Thundurus: Looks like a turd.
*All three before that: Super Genie Posse Bros.
So yeah I guess I just thought they were cool before the change. I always wondered if the Therian forms were planned from the start or if Game Freak took people's "WOW, they're just RECOLORS" complaints into consideration. But yeah, always wanted to get that out there.

Quote from: Lightning
To me as a new pokemon it would have added a lot more to the story of Mewtwo and Mew without tainting a Pokemon that has been loved for how it is for the past 15 years. Whereas as a new forme it doesn't seem as though it can have as deep a meaning to it anymore as well as affecting the original strongest pokemon... I'm no genwunner but I do like Mewtwo as he is.
Bolded =  what I was looking forward to, too. I was always sort of indifferent to Mewtwo, though I'll try my hand at Newtwo if it's obtainable at like, level 40 or lower, otherwise what's the point in showcasing it? (Getting legendaries at a high level sort of takes the fun out of raising them. For me, anyway)

Still, I understand people's disappointment/rage/whatever. It really is a first/bold move on Game Freak's part, so I'm more curious as to how it plays into the games' plot at this point than anything.

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2013, 18:54 »
I like how Gamefreak is all "we're totally trying to appeal to fans of the older games" when all they've done so far is annoy those fans.

Offline Sizacu

• Sentret Fan
  • hello everyone
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2013, 19:15 »
I'd prefer it if Mew~ were a separate Pokemon, but when I saw it, I thought that it was going to be a forme for Mewtwo after realising that it wasn't fanmade... (oops). I don't mind the design now, but the toes really irk me. That said, I quite like the halo-circle-thingy going on on its head!

Captivating Radiant Elegant Serene Seraphic Enchanting Lovely Immortal Adorable

Are you interested in spriting, or improving it?

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2013, 20:57 »
I think they need to heavily work on the theme of DNA modifications for this thing to work.

Mewtwo is basically a failed(?) experiment, which is kind of why it looks like a horrific human being. This new form is going to NEED to be some kind of other experiment Mewtwo performed on itself, or raise some kind of ethical point about DNA experiments in Pokemon.

If this just turns out to be 'super speed mewtwo' (Even though it's already faster than Genesect) I'll be pretty disappointed.

Seems like almost everything we've learned about X/Y so far is hype for the movies/shorts. I'd like some actual game information.

Offline lugia95

• Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Chloe for the awesome avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2013, 21:05 »
One thing someone on another site pointed out - new Mewtwo form could mean the return of Team Rocket. In which case, all will be forgiven.

Offline RocketMember002

• Joy Incarnate
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2013, 22:10 »
The TR/Mewtwo connection is purely an anime story, the games don't say TR had anything to do with it.

More than slightly pissed that this thing is a form, leave Mewtwo alone fgs.

Offline ajeeth23

• Rob Fan
  • Can you stay up for the weekend?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2013, 06:33 »
It's a new forme, it's confirmed.
RAjeeth.

(That's how I sign. *shrugs*)

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2013, 13:59 »
I like how Gamefreak is all "we're totally trying to appeal to fans of the older games" when all they've done so far is annoy those fans.

to be fair, there are elements of that part of the fanbase that won't be satisfied with anything less than a magical game cart that travels them back 15 years where they can play the original games for the first time ever.  Seemingly they're usually the group telling us pokemon is rubbish now every new gen whilst looking back at the first two gens as if they were showcases of undeniable perfect designs (whilst strangely being immune to criticisms they give newer gens - Pokemon not based on animals!) I'm *not* saying you shouldn't be allowed to critise new gens - I will too, the new Eevee is awful but you know with every new generation it does seem to bring us 'pokemon sucks now' whilst the games seem to sell massive numbers and gains new fans.

As an fan of older games, and been playing for the last 15 years,  I personally like the Newtwo and been liking it even more since I first saw it.    Others in my category don't, and that's fine and a legit opinion. Tough I'm not really bothered that they've decided to expand on the 'Sacred Cow' 1st Gen Pokemon. In fact I like anything that takes older Pokemon and give them a fresh approach, be it pre-evos, evos or new forms.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 14:03 by Ledyba »

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2013, 16:47 »
I'm the other way around I guess.

Gold will always be my favorite game, part nostalgia and partly because I think the music, the region etc. etc. was just really well executed. HG/SS was like a dream come true but even with HG/SS I still regularly go back and play Gold.

With that said, I'm obviously really excited for X/Y, I don't like this new Mewtwo form much (Although it largely depends on how they explain the form) but I think Sylveon looks good.

Stuff like 'genwunner' 'nostalgiagoggles' or whatever people like to throw around is a load of crap really. It's just a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that there will always be some people who tell you x is better than y because they grew up with it. This is just part of life and happens with everything, it shouldn't be a prompt to give you a chip on your shoulder about the older games. I think every Pokemon game has been fantastic and entertaining as hell.

We're all Pokemon fans here, so don't worry that you might be seen as a 'genwunner' or something, it's silly to let people try and shame you for liking something because they think you might be associated with a certain type of person. It's like assuming someone is a terrorist because they wear a burqa.

Offline Ledyba

• Judge, Jury, and Executioner | <3 Kelly!!
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2013, 17:20 »
^

I want to fully and completely apologies if my post came across as concending or arrogant.

I don't think people shouldn't be able to like something, course not, that'd be silly. Be it or old or new games.    Nor should people be unable to dislike new Pokemon. my point was more to parts of the fanbase who GF can't seem to please.

I wasn't trying to associate fans or those with preference to  older games/pokemon with 'genwunners' at all. 

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2013, 18:14 »
^

I want to fully and completely apologies if my post came across as concending or arrogant.

I don't think people shouldn't be able to like something, course not, that'd be silly. Be it or old or new games.    Nor should people be unable to dislike new Pokemon. my point was more to parts of the fanbase who GF can't seem to please.

I wasn't trying to associate fans or those with preference to  older games/pokemon with 'genwunners' at all.

Oh no it's not a reference to you at all, the 'genwunner' thing has been thrown around the internet a lot lately (Not as much on PKMN.NET thankfully). All it does is seek to create a divide between the older and newer fans, suggesting that there can be no middle road and that disliking something new means that you 'HATE ALL POKEMON GAMES PAST GEN I'.

Offline f3raligatr

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2013, 18:46 »
Oh no it's not a reference to you at all, the 'genwunner' thing has been thrown around the internet a lot lately (Not as much on PKMN.NET thankfully). All it does is seek to create a divide between the older and newer fans, suggesting that there can be no middle road and that disliking something new means that you 'HATE ALL POKEMON GAMES PAST GEN I'.

This is my biggest issue with a lot of people on other forums who throw such around like it's gospel; if you don't like an aspect of the more recent games, you're a 'genwunner' and thus your opinion is moot. It annoys me to no end because a lot of valid points get lost in the abyss after being branded such. It's the same on the flip side of the coin, it's just people being ignorant and really, discriminating such without considering the reasons behind opinions.

Whilst I've warmed to the new design, I don't like that they've made it a forme at all. The 'tail' to the head is a really cool concept, I imagine they'd put the man-made umbilical cord to the back of the head to feed it's brain more efficiently whilst the neglect of the rest of the body has caused a proportion mutation compared to the 'original' Mewtwo forme; it's far closer to Mew's. There are little bits I dislike still, such as those utterly bizarre toes, but on the whole it's cool.

I just don't like how they're now taken, in my eyes, the best original concept and added to it when they really didn't need to. If anything, it kind of 'corrects' things as I think they've smoothed and 'rubber'd things off like they've done for a LOT of Pokémon, but I'd have much rather they'd left Mewtwo as he was sprited to be in Red/Blue;

There he looks like the raw, mutated experiment that he is. I'd have rather they left him as such, dis-proportioned, ugly and yet so beautiful. Whilst this kind of looks like an attempt to return him to his original form, pun intended, it kind of doesn't make up for what they've done to Mewtwo over the past 5 Gens for me. I'd have much preferred they'd created this new Mewtwo and given it a new backstory, such perhaps as being a failed attempt to build a new Mewtwo to go with Plasma's story of rebuilding Genesect. Hm.

09-07-2013 & 12-08-2013
beyond the suffering you've known
i hope you find your way
may you never be broken again

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2013, 18:58 »
I just can't quite work out where this is going to fit in.

I mean..new form normally means new ability/new stats.

On the trailers, we saw ordinary Mewtwo outspeeding extremespeed Genesect to save Ash and co. as far as base stats go, Mewtwo is faster than Genesect, so I guess this isn't an 'extremespeed' form because it would serve little purpose.

You could say they'd shift Attack/Sp. Attack but most of the moves used by 'Newtwo' in the trailer seem to be special attacks rather than physical ones and I'm not sure how a stat divide like this would really lend itself to an anime where these things aren't immediately visible.

I think at the moment, as far as my imagination goes the only way they can make this new form interesting is if they say it's a Team Rocket experiment created to fight Team Plasma's experiment - and that X/Y features Team Rocket fighting Plasma for world domination.

With the double helix in the Japanese logo, the X/Y theme and Mewtwo/Genesect's resurrection, it does seem like we're going to be seeing DNA themes. I know Sugimori said he really likes the idea of being able to fuse two Pokemon together.

Maybe Newtwo is the fusion between Mew and Mewtwo, kind of like how Black Kyuurem and White Kyuurem are alternate Kyuurem forms...but effectively are a combination of two Pokemon.

Team Rocket showed interest in DNA experiments, and Genesect is a resurrected fossil Pokemon genetic modifications.

I think that'd be a really cool theme to pursue.

Offline Moon Chaser

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2013, 20:35 »
On the upside, it means we will be able to catch Mewtwo in game, rather than having to faff around with two DS's transferring Mewtwo to get the dex entry.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2013, 00:35 »
^ Speaking of which, PLEASE give us a new way of obtaining Manaphy, GameFreak.

If you want Manaphy right now, you need Pokemon Ranger plus D/P/Pt (Other games won't work I don't think) - and it's only 1 per cart. You can breed Phione, but not evolve into Manaphy.

I'm pretty sure Manaphy is probably the hardest to obtain Pokemon right now.