Author Topic: What should I do about university?  (Read 2902 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Re: What should I do about university?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 11:28 »
student finance; i know it seems worrying that you'll be in debt but you shouldn't worry at all. when student finance phoned me up, we worked a little something out - tell them that you probably will be unable/barely able to cover costs for what they demand. tell them you're dropping out for mental health reasons, not because you're getting a job. i managed to have a £10 a month set up back in June last year (meaning i've paid off about £60 of £1400, whelp) so they will listen to you.

your health is far, far more important that your education. if you're not mentally healthy, what is the point in pushing yourself until you have a breakdown? i personally don't struggle with adhd but i know and understand what it's like to not want to carry on.

you really need to do what is right for you and you alone. you can tell your aunt that yeah, she might have an opinion, but she is not the one suffering by pushing herself too far.

you can go back to uni, even in september if you feel ready enough. but don't push yourself. if you need to wait until next september to go back to university, then you wait.

the help center at your uni will help you - even if you go straight to them to tell them you want out. they'll talk you through it, ask you what you're going to do when you drop out, and they'll contact your lecturers

speaking of lecturers, do you have a tutor of sorts? someone you meet up with maybe once every week or so with other students? if you're unsure, ask, and then go talk to them because if you've already had an academic warning, they'll know about it and can help talk you through. if you're uncomfortable about talking to them, drop them an e-mail as it can often be easier to speak your mind when you type it, cause i know that helped when i e-mailed my tutor last year

Offline kindtocrows

• tired wizard
  • Mulholland Fan
  • ask your local askljdlaskjd
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do about university?
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 19:42 »
I meant to say something before leaving again, but these times I need some time to myself kind of happen suddenly and strongly, to the point I just have to go all together right away. Usually I get too nervous to return after that happens, but that's a different problem. I'll be here for longer this time, I hope.

Anyway, thanks for the advice! A few things have happened. I asked my doctor about the medication, and he thought it was a good idea. Actually, it seemed like he was planning to suggest it himself. So, yeah, I've mostly stopped taking it and I'm starting to feel better. Not too much better, but better nonetheless. I still feel that I'm not ready for uni though. Haven't gone to the help center yet, though I know I really should have... but I haven't had the energy to do much of anything. I'll try to do that now that I at least have a bit.

I have tried tutors before, and they help a bit, but not much. There was a thing I had in grade 10 that really helped though. I dropped one class to make time for it, and then whenever I would have had that class, I instead went to a support teacher who would help me get past my mental blocks and actually get things done. They also could act as a tutor if necessary. Basically, it gave me a scheduled time almost everyday where I could go somewhere where I could work on anything I needed to do in any subject and there would be someone there to help be past my mental blocks (which have nothing to do with not understanding the actual course material), and then go and have much less to worry about, which also meant less stress overall. I guess that sounds kinda childish, pretty much needing a supervisor to actually get things done, but it's the only thing that ever really worked for me. But, though I haven't checked, I doubt the university offers such a demanding, even infantil, support, but maybe.
When it comes down to it, the difference between healing and necromancy is timing.