Author Topic: Can You Play My Game And Give Feedback?  (Read 73 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline The name master

• The name rater's rival!
  • Joeno Fan
  • I rate your nicknames (unofficially)
    • View Profile
Can You Play My Game And Give Feedback?
« on: November 08, 2018, 17:42 »
I'm making a game at college. Can you play it and give feedback. Some things may be buggy/not working properly yet and it's impossible to get past the 4th level. Also the audio might take a while to load the first time, so may be out of sync, so a second play might be good.

The control are: left/right to move, up to jump (it's possible to do a wall jump) And space to breath fire (slightly buggy when using it while facing left)

If it says something about flash, just allow it and it'll work.

My game is here
Thanks to Inferna for one of the many reasons why I love Dragonite!

Offline Poison2007

• they/them pronouns please
  • Joeno Fan
  • super meme trash
    • View Profile
    • Subeta
Re: Can You Play My Game And Give Feedback?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 01:48 »
i cant even get past the first level its buggy as anything and oof

wall jump is completely broken; you kind of just stick there. if you let go you fall, there is no real 'wall jump' and any attempt to spam it gets me up maybe once before launching me back to the floor at full speed. however even though it seems to be advertised as an actual feature, you sorta of just get stuck down at the bottom with the inability to truly wall jump. managed to get up a bit further by spamming fire breath as well (which is? probably not intended play?) but ultimately you are at the floor's whim. if you cant jump there normally looks like you're stuck down there bucko.

complete lack of direction of where to go re: level design, also sort of kind of haphazard? - a lot of the blocks are vague. eg the blocks at the beginning can be destroyed, but look like blocks that cant be destroyed, forcing you to try to work out destroying them (and as the block directly ahead doesnt destroy, it makes it seem more like an obstacle that cant be destroyed). and weirdly enough, the wooden boxes, which the fire *should* destroy, are invincible to everything but being smashed across your head. the coins are a bit haphazardly placed everywhere, and there's no coin counter, so its a little useless anyway. theres also multiple pits you can get stuck in, but you dont die. you dont run out of time (or at least to my knowledge you dont. no timer, no sense of urgency like in mario, so no way to tell. i mean i do enjoy the removal of a timer though, i dont like being rushed, but also one less way to Die.)

took a while to load, possibly due to loads of assets at once. (which isnt helped by placing hundreds and hundreds of coins together in a short space.) you should research mario levels a bit more for coin distribution if you're going down that route of game. and also level design in general i think - it felt very... linear. stright walk, pit of coins, straight walk, pit of coins. all of the objects were either too cumbersome to reach in this beginning bit (which made jumping on them not that appealing) and didnt seem to have been tested to see if you *could*. compare this with the first few platform/jumps in mario, which are close enough and low enough for it to actually be possible. make sure you make these jumps suitable to your range for your character.

fire has a weird hitbox and seems to miss the block directly ahead of it about 75% of the time (as previously mentioned). also easily spammable and oneshots everything. i am not sure why i have such an ability so early, especially as something as powerful (albeit unweildy) as this. also the fire is solid for some reason. like, okay, i get it, you're going for mario. but also you die if you jump on someone's head, which is sort of counterproductive and also doesn't really live up to mario's potential there.

the music is clearly just mario and a few other songs (including a undertale one. yes, i noticed) sort of all just playing at once. headache inducing and also a bit illegal. might get you in trouble at college as well for copyright. this gave me a sad when jumping on the bad guy's head instantly killed me instead of elicting the desired super mario kill. also the death sound is a midi version of 'what a wonderful world' which. copyriiiiight. (also the screen didnt load the second time so i kind of just froze there.) - you should be using royalty-free music if you cant pay for the usage of the songs legally. this is likely gonna get you in big trouble w/ your instructors if they notice it. if theyre in the game business at all, even as teachers, they will - undertale's won awards this year so oof.

you should use royaltyfree music here, or you could make your own. you also have the option of seeing if any music people at your college would compose you some short bit or repeatable bit. this might also cost money because #business but also they have their own projects to do, but you might get lucky and get something for free. unlikely to be pro level stuff because they're at college too.

also i can push the gems around with fire which is a bit jarring but??? at this point i fire'd into a thick wall thinking it was destroyable. it was not and also the game crashed (this gave you ten plays on the counter though, so its all good)

i dont know if theres even a point or end point for this level. there's no indication of anything. the 'try again' or continue button or whatever is also unlabelled.

this is a very frustrating experience

i'm also not sure what to actually compliment you on here, not because there's a lack of things to compliment, but because i'm not sure what you actually own and have permission to use here (trust shattered by poaching music willy nilly). left/right and jumping (bar wall jumping) seems stable(ish) though, so thats a good start. i only played a part of the first level so i dont know if things get better or worse, mostly because there was no way to get there in the first place. no audio or visual cues for a lot of things.

good attempt in the sense that its a learning experience. don't give up, use this as the beginning of your checklist on things you might need to improve by next time. i think you tried to do too much at once with too much ambition and ended up not considering the beginning learning blocks, thus kind of... leaving your audience in the dust and to be at *your* skill level instead of being to a game's skill level - you're the game developer, obviously you're gonna know more than any player at the outset. work on designing your games so that theyre playable to the players and potentially laymen too.

words go here

Offline The name master

• The name rater's rival!
  • Joeno Fan
  • I rate your nicknames (unofficially)
    • View Profile
Re: Can You Play My Game And Give Feedback?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 08:29 »
OK. I will add a visual cue to the first blocks you have to destroy with fire and the end of the level (you're supposed to jump down the hole. also for when you fall down the other hole (you're supposed to back)

ngl, fire is buggy. Trying to fix it.

Also trying to add a diamond counter.

Where did I use Undertale? I never noticed?

I will make wooden boxes destroyable with fire.

There is an enemy in the second level (and beyond) that is immune to fire.

I should've wall jumping that isn't really for climbing vertical walls, but more for reaching platforms just beyond you reach (rarely a thing, though) It's a little precise, like Mario 64, where you have to jump in the other direction immediately. This originally wasn't a feature, but a slight bug in the program, I liked it, so used it (only occasionally)

A lot of this stuff is still early in development.

As for fire pushing gems, not really a lot I can do there (a limitation of the software)

I never intended to add a timer.

The first level is really supposed to be a simple tutorial level to get used to the control, so it's quite straight forward.

Slow internet could be why it takes long to load. Maybe when I export it and it doesn't relies on internet...

Not every platformer makes you jump on enemies to kill them.

What is it with oof? I swear everyone at college says oof now! XD

Of course when I make the game for real (for money) I'll change the music (and make the game better) As long as I'm not making money off it (which I'm not) I should be fine.

The block on the game over screen is just a placeholder for now, so you did't have to refresh the page.

There will be a title screen with instructions.

I may half the amount of gems.
Thanks to Inferna for one of the many reasons why I love Dragonite!