Poll

Who do you think is the best doctor who of all time?

William Hartnell
2 (2.6%)
Patrick Troughton
1 (1.3%)
Jon Pertwee
1 (1.3%)
Tom Baker
4 (5.2%)
Peter Davison
0 (0%)
Colin Baker
1 (1.3%)
Sylvester McCoy
2 (2.6%)
Paul McGann
2 (2.6%)
Christopher Eccleston
15 (19.5%)
David Tennant
32 (41.6%)
Matt Smith
17 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 282058 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Phil

• Currently Quirkless!
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #480 on: September 03, 2007, 16:33 »
Not Chris Evans surely. 0.0

That wouldn't be too ironic, no. :P

I've not actually heard anything about Tennant leaving, don't know where The Sun got that idea from.

EDIT: Funnily enough: http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2007/09/03/48471.shtml
It's inverted snobbery; people have to be ashamed for being clever.
~ Miss Ferns

Something's Cowly!

[00:21] <&Phil> I want to update my profile, but I dunno what to add. :o

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #481 on: September 03, 2007, 16:57 »
Sounds kinda lenghy wait for Series 5. Ah well, Series 4 and 3 Specials I suppose can fill the gap...

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

pokeguru V2

« Reply #482 on: September 04, 2007, 20:09 »
yeah.... there is one thing.... i heard that they were going to drop Doctor Who because the main writer was "suppose" to retire and everyone else will drop it....it's looks like it won't be true...

Offline Angelic Lapras King

• The Angelic One, The King of Kings, The Piller Of The Land Of The Lapras and a PUK Mod.
  • Elite Four Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Angel Wings! Please Guide Me And The Lapras!
    • View Profile
    • My DA Gallery of Maddness
« Reply #483 on: September 04, 2007, 20:23 »
I think Russel T Davis wanted to end the series, but obviously, the BBC did't. lol.

"What did I say would happen if you got onto my back Oak?"

Offline FaFniR

• Sentret Fan
  • You maybe got lucky for a few good years
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 04, 2007, 20:42 »
RTD butchered Doctor Who. Season 1 of the revived series was good, but it got progressively worse, and season 4 will undoubtedly follow suit. It's a crappy half-assed romance drama now, and doesn't have the same feel as the classic series.

Steven Moffat could easily save the series with his superior writing skills, if he could just take that idiot RTD's place.

"Footloose and fancy-free, we set off among the adventure towns, seeking the next place, rather than our fortunes."

Role Play Riffs

LOL JOHTO REMAKE

Danse_Maxavarious

« Reply #485 on: September 05, 2007, 01:21 »
The MAIN problem with Doctor Who at the moment is DAVID TENNANT & STUPID WRITING eg:

1 - Doctor doing a pathetic 'drunk office party-goer' is season 2.
2 - Master's 'Laser Screwdriver' *ARRGGHH*
3 - Super Doctor - why don't we just make the Doctor able to do ANYTHING....

Russell T Davies might be the best thing to happen, a completely fresh start WITHOUT Tennant might just get everything back on track. Season 1 was the best.

Offline Phil

• Currently Quirkless!
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 05, 2007, 15:05 »
1 - The 'drunk office party-goer' was a facade to get close enough to the console to shut down the robots.
2 - The Master deliberately done that to get to the Doctor - "Laser Screwdriver; who'd have Sonic?"
3 - 'Stop the Cybermen; destroy the Daleks'?  Ring a bell?

And I found Russell T Davies kickass in the last 3 episodes of this year's series. :)
~ Miss Ferns

Something's Cowly!

Danse_Maxavarious

« Reply #487 on: September 05, 2007, 15:29 »
1 - The 'drunk office party-goer' was a facade to get close enough to the console to shut down the robots.
2 - The Master deliberately done that to get to the Doctor - "Laser Screwdriver; who'd have Sonic?"
3 - 'Stop the Cybermen; destroy the Daleks'?  Ring a bell?

And I found Russell T Davies kickass in the last 3 episodes of this year's series. :)

I guess everyone is differant, as I found the last 2/3 episode of this years series horrendous, maybe it's because I've been watching since the 80's. It's just become silly and their is no danger because they can always give the Doctor a new ALIEN ability such as the super-Doctor (if you clap the fairy comes back to life.. is he Tinkerbell??).

There were some absolutely AMAZING eps though - School Reunion? The episode with the message on the DVDs??

Offline Deathmore

• Must reach 1 post a day rate
  • Joeno Fan
  • Volkner-The 4th Hokage?
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 05, 2007, 21:50 »
The God theme music for school reunion was good but i think i heard something like that before also the angels were scary and the last dalek meets the 10th doctor and then meets the 9th.

Explaining:

In Daleks in Manhattan the Daleks say they are the last 4 and they sounded confident, one dalek remained that was the last. it teleported and doctor said he will see him again. and that Dalek in 'Dalek' in S1 seems to be that one from S3

Offline Psythor

• Webmaster
  • Joeno Fan
  • Big Brother
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #489 on: September 06, 2007, 11:41 »
RTD butchered Doctor Who. Season 1 of the revived series was good, but it got progressively worse, and season 4 will undoubtedly follow suit. It's a crappy half-assed romance drama now, and doesn't have the same feel as the classic series.

Steven Moffat could easily save the series with his superior writing skills, if he could just take that idiot RTD's place.

So you've not seen The Girl in the Fireplace, written by Steven Moffat, then?
Psythor

Follow my adventures... http://jamesomalley.co.uk/blog/

Rule 20 was here! snowball

Danse_Maxavarious

« Reply #490 on: September 06, 2007, 11:53 »
So you've not seen The Girl in the Fireplace, written by Steven Moffat, then?

I personally think that the idea of that episode was good - but giving David Tennant another reason to goof around (office-party diguise) was a TERRIBLE mistake, a 900 year old Timelord even imagining that pretending to be a drunk 23 year old human seems a little sicening to older fans.

Though in THAT episode that is the only problem I have with it - I don't think necessarily the WRITING is to blame, i just think they're turning it into too much of a comedy.

Offline Phil

• Currently Quirkless!
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 06, 2007, 13:46 »
You do know Douglas Adams used to write for Doctor Who, right?  Or that Terry Nation started his career in comedy?  Doctor Who's meant to have funny moments and the Tenth Doctor's supposed to be more light-hearted when the darker side of him hasn't come out yet.

And I'll say it again:

Oh, and:

In Daleks in Manhattan the Daleks say they are the last 4 and they sounded confident, one dalek remained that was the last. it teleported and doctor said he will see him again. and that Dalek in 'Dalek' in S1 seems to be that one from S3

Nah, the Dalek in Van Statten's bunker was a random foot soldier who demanded orders even from the Doctor.  Dalek Caan, on the other hand, had free will (to and extend) and a mind of his own (again, to an extent).
~ Miss Ferns

Something's Cowly!

Danse_Maxavarious

« Reply #492 on: September 06, 2007, 22:53 »
You do know Douglas Adams used to write for Doctor Who, right?  Or that Terry Nation started his career in comedy?  Doctor Who's meant to have funny moments and the Tenth Doctor's supposed to be more light-hearted when the darker side of him hasn't come out yet.

And I'll say it again:

Oh, and:

Nah, the Dalek in Van Statten's bunker was a random foot soldier who demanded orders even from the Doctor.  Dalek Caan, on the other hand, had free will (to and extend) and a mind of his own (again, to an extent).

Douglas Adams, who I very much respect has written for Doctor Who, correct & Terry nation. BUT there is a matter of taste & whether it breaks this and becomes unbelievable for the character. Doctor Who at it's heart IS a stalwart Sci-Fi series.

BTW - there are vast sections of Adams' work including HitchHikers Guide where there are quiet serious and sobering moments, this is something he brought to Doctor Who.

Offline LB

• Norwegian Wood
  • 1337 Donator
  • Sentret Fan
  • TournĂ©e du Chat Noir
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 06, 2007, 23:39 »
Doctor Who at it's heart IS a stalwart Sci-Fi series.

I'd have to disagree with you there. I think it's always been a little tongue-in-cheek, self-deprecatingly jokey and very camp - I mean, look at Bessie, or the Doctor's variety of costumes? And have you ever seen "The Mind Robber" or "The Two Doctors"? It's a camp as pants, British family drama at its heart.
"It occurred to me that this was what you might get if Walt Disney did an animated version of a Munch painting."

"It seemed to me that the longest imaginable distance separated irregular German verb forms from this kitchen table."

Offline Pinsir24

• 21st October 2007, the day I became accepted as a
  • Joeno Fan
  • Credit to Sappy for this loyal avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 06, 2007, 23:49 »
Just a thought, could the Beeb have picked Davies with the intention of producing a camp show?

Anyway, I think that the three main problems with Russ' are:

His tendency to end a series with a situation so hard to escape from that something terribly corny happens like magic being used or people kiss to save the world and the power of love saves everyone (or something along those lines).

He is in love with his own planet.

And he keeps saying the Doctor is 900 years old, I'm probably the only one who is bugged by this, but Sly McCoy's Doctor was over 900, continuity please.

At last I'm a Forum Addict, you all must now... oh, oh darn. How long ago did that happen?