Author Topic: PS3 game suggestions  (Read 1321 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Inferna

• Joeno Fan
  • not heroic but i try
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
PS3 game suggestions
« on: June 16, 2016, 18:55 »
(I'm aware I'm like 5 years late to the party but w/e.)
My little brother doesn't play his anymore cause he's got a ps4 lmao. Obviously it'll be really cheap now to get some games! Only problem is I've got no idea where to start haha. I've downloaded a few old nostalgic ps1 games and I'm in the process of downloading dragon age origins, it was only £3, so I thought why not.

Kinds of games I like are mostly adventure and RPG/jrpg games. I'd prefer ones with a good single player element first and foremost and then a good online mode will be a bonus! I'm not as keen on games that really really gory or violent lmao. I like games with a bit of challenge but don't want it to be a proper slog through either.

but basically I've not played a good majority of last gen games (non Nintendo ones) so I'm open to most suggestions! Leaning towards the bigger titles rather than indie stuff but again if there's any amazing ones then I'm down.

Offline kindtocrows

• tired wizard
  • Mulholland Fan
  • ask your local askljdlaskjd
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 game suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 22:11 »
Well there's the obvious like Dragon Age (personally, I haven't played DA2, but Origins and Inquisition are great) so there's that.

There's also Ni No Kuni, which is amazing. It's an rpg with some pokemon-like elements (in that you collect creatures and use them to fight) and a great story. I haven't actually finished it yet, but it's great. If you want to go by artstyle alone, Studio Ghibli was one of the developers, so that should tell you something about it.
When it comes down to it, the difference between healing and necromancy is timing.

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 22:11 »
These games are all also available on PC or in some cases PS4, and in a lot of cases are a better experience there, but I'll list them anyway incase you don't have a PC or don't have a good PC or whatever:

Dark Souls - Action/Adventure(?) game where you play as "the chosen undead" to do whatever it is he does. I personally never paid much attention to the story in this game because it's one of those games where the story is built up and set around backstory stuff. It's probably explained a little by NPCs in the game but I dunno. You've probably heard about how ~unfair~ and ~difficult~ this game is, but personally I think it's more a case of the game just refusing to hold your hand at any point, telling you to be a grown up and beat the game yourself. One of the most rewarding games I think I've ever played in terms of "heck yeah i finally beat [boss]!". Also discovering everything in the game as you go through is super rewarding too, but again the lack of hand-holding might be you get stuck for a while sometimes, unsure of where to go.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster - Classic Final Fantasy duo, X and X-2, remastered for the current (last?) gen experience. All the graphics and music are updated. If you liked FFX, or like FF but never played X, or just like JRPGs, this is a pretty great value for money bundle because they're 2 full games, a side game that was originally only released in Japan, and an audio-book or something set after X-2.

Valkyria Chronicles - Strategy/Tactical RPG in which you take control of Welkin and (i think) Alishia(?) in a war against Gallia. Select units that best suit the battle, deploy them and then spend turns moving them up the field, shooting, hiding behind cover, etc. Really cool game, the art style is SUPER nice too, I recommend this game I think.

PS3 Exclusives:

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix - Contains an updated, remastered re-release of Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain Of Memories (Chain Of Memories on the main series engine, as opposed to a GBA one), and a cutscene movie collection of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. Again, super good value for money because you get 2 JRPGs and a 2~3 hour cutscene movie of another. it's the first time KH1FM has been released in English too, it contains a ton of extra content the original didn't have in NA or EU.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Remix - same as above, but containing Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix, and a cutscene movie collection of Re:Coded. Same deal as KH1FM, first time we get KH2FM or KHBBSFM in EU, both have a ton of extra content compared to the originals.

Heavy Rain - Alright, some people would argue this is more of an "interactive movie" than a game, since for the most part you just walk around and then do some QTEs sometimes, but it's a super cool... mystery solving game maybe? It has multiple endings (at multiple points in the game) so there's a lot of replayability I think, and the story is super interesting. You can get it pretty cheap nowadays too so I dunno, I recommend it a lot. Obviously since it's a mystery, don't google too much about it, lest the mystery be ruined for you haha.

ICO/Shadow Of The Colossus HD Bundle - ICO and Shadow Of The Colossus are both pretty critically acclaimed adventure games, in which you either have to guide a princess(?) to safety while fighting off Shadow monsters in ICO, or slay... 13 (I think?) mighty colossus by yourself, which you do by climbing them or stuff near them and slaying them. I feel like I'm probably underselling SOTC, imo the main game in this package, because I think it's truly a fantastic game. Definitely one of those "games can be art" games I think.

The Sly Trilogy - The wonderful adventures of Sly Cooper, updated and remastered for the PS3! Contains Sly 1, Sly 2 and Sly 3 (so 3 games for the price of 1!), this is a pretty cool... maybe action/adventure game? I'm super bad with genres sorry haha, which is focused a fair amount around sneaky sneaking but is a lot of fun. Has some cool minigames inside, and since you get 3 games you obviously get a lot of value for your money.

Metal Gear Solid Collection - (note I added this after Sly) WHEW talk about value for money sneaky sneaking games! This contains 8 Metal Gear games, including the original Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4 AND Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. If you're a fan of sneaky sneaky games with ridiculous, hard to follow plots but super fun gameplay and pretty great characters, this is THE bundle for you. You can also buy a HD Collection containing only MGS2, MSG3, and MGS:PW if you're looking to sneak and barely be able to follow the story on a budget haha.

There's also a wealth of classic PS1 games (which you've obviously already discovered) that basically contains the entire FF backlog, which as a massive FF fan I highly recommend (especially 9 and 7).

Stuff I haven't played much but always hear recommended:

Persona 3 and 4 are always really highly recommended JRPGs in the circles I hang out with online, they sort of mix social interaction game play like you might find in dating sims and JRPG dungeon crawling together into a super cool game, or so I'm told. They both have updated versions on handheld platforms but the originals are both probably good so maybe check them out?

The Disgaea series is also pretty highly recommended by those same people, it's a tactical/strategy JRPG where the emphasis is on insane numbers and leveling up and weird mechanics or something? I can't really do it any justice because I've barely played Disgaea 3, but they seem popular amongst the right crowd so they're probably right?

I think that's everything I can think of but I'll come back and edit this if I think of any more. If something sounds cool I recommend just checking out a youtube video for it haha, just beware spoilers!

EDIT: i've heard fairly good things about Ni No Kuni too, so that sounds like a decent pop. Uncharted are also pretty good adventure games even if I'm not really a fan of them very much myself. Think there are 3 on the PS3?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 22:15 by Del »
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline The Hooded Trainer

• Mulholland Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 22:12 »
I seem to remember really enjoying ninokuni. It's a jrpg and was partly designed by studio ghibli, so it's got that going for it. The ps3 has skyrim and fallout as well, which last a good long time and are always fun to dive into. The uncharted series is pretty good too for action/adventure stuff.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:31 »
A few more to add onto Del's otherwise phenomenal list;

- Tales of Graces f - it's an RPG that is also basically a fighting game. I recommend this for its fun battle system, though I have issues with its plot.

- Tales of Xillia - not as good as Graces f in gameplay, but it's still a very solid game that is worth playing. I hear the sequel is better gameplay wise.

- Tales of Symphonia HD - Symphonia is a classic and its graphics are dated (this was originally a Gamecube game) but it's still a wonderful game.

- Final Fantasy XIII - I know, I understand it's not for everyone. It's cheap enough these days that it's worth a shot; it's very linear for a while before it becomes more open, and I love the plot and characters. Music is great, and the battle system is quite fast paced, tactical, difficult, and clever at the same time.

- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - it's a very fun and well designed hack-and-slash game. It's pretty over the top and awesome, and it's wonderful. Has great music too.

- South Park: Stick of Truth - I know this is a licensed game, but it's so much fun.

- Nier - okay so the gameplay in Nier is a drag, and it's a hack and slash with a lot of RPG elements. It also has random points where it's a side scroller, bullet hell, and there's a text adventure portion but it's mostly hack and slash. The drawing point to Nier is the wonderful plot and characters and the absolutely beautiful OST - one of the greatest OSTs on the PS3. I recommend this highly.

- Eternal Sonata is a fun little RPG, especially if you like Chopin's music since it's based upon Chopin's dying dream.

- Anything Rock Star has put out, be it GTA 4, GTA V, or Red Dead Redemption, if you like sandbox games.

If you want details or good gameplay videos let me know and I'll provide them. I don't want you to waste your money on something you may not like, but at the same time a lot of PS3 games are on the cheaper end these days so it's worth trying a lot of things out.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 11:26 »
Mortal Kombat (2011) Komplete Edition is amazing and you get all the DLC on one disc.

Minecraft simply because of its unique graphics and relaxing atmosphere to build things without any external pressure qhen in Survival Mode.

Ultra Super Street Fighter IV is pretty good. This version has a new character Decapre.

Duck Tales Remastered has great graphics, story, voice acting which is performed from most of the original voice actors, and great soundtrack.

Portal 2 is pretty fun. I'm still playing it. Still looking for the first game.

Naughty Bear Gold Edition has all the DLC and despite it getting poor reviews, it really isn't such a bad game. I mean who doesn't like killing colorful Grateful Dead/Care Bearesqe characters with stuff such as a hambone or a malfunctioning freezer? The deaths are cartoony and there's this passive aggressive narrator saying all sorts of things as you xause chaos and you don't feel guilty at all about killing the other bears because they mostly are mean to the titular character and need to be punished to begin with and they are all stuffed. So no blood.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:31 by Captain Jigglypuff »
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

Offline Del

• yo
  • Typhlosion Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 13:46 »
- Tales of Graces f - it's an RPG that is also basically a fighting game. I recommend this for its fun battle system, though I have issues with its plot.

- Tales of Xillia - not as good as Graces f in gameplay, but it's still a very solid game that is worth playing. I hear the sequel is better gameplay wise.

- Tales of Symphonia HD - Symphonia is a classic and its graphics are dated (this was originally a Gamecube game) but it's still a wonderful game.
Can't believe I forgot the Tales Of series! I've personally only played Zestiria but I've seen Graces f and Xillia streamed and they both look fantastic, and I feel like everyone who lives JRPGs has good things to say about Symphonia. Definitely recommend these too.
My mom bought me this new laptop and it gets really hot when the chat is being spammed. Now my leg is starting to hurt because it is getting so hot. Please, if you don't want me to get burned, then don't spam the chat.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Pam-the-Lamb

• Pack it in Bryn
  • Sentret Fan
  • Rub my belly and call me Ceri
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 00:08 »
 The Last of Us, anyone? Swper bendigedig.