Author Topic: Share your beginner's mistakes  (Read 7210 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Liam

• 1337 Donator
  • Fan Rotom
    • View Profile
Re: Share your beginner's mistakes
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 17:29 »
I think you've just discovered another beginner's mistake: leaving Torterra in against a Pokemon that knows ice shard.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 19:11 »
Getting a chimchar from my brother.

I was such an idiot.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Webby

• Don't come back up unless you're wearing a pussy moustache!
  • Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 21:13 »
The first starter I raised to level 100 was a Blaziken. Why I ever thought to waste my time on it, I'll never know.
(I miss my level 100 Espeon and Milotic though :'( )

"i hope you get niall bursting out of a tower cake singing "happy birthday mr president" and he's wearing a "miss america 2013" sash while giving you a 3 hour lapdance"

Offline vegparcriddle

• Pokemon Fan
  • wanna hear a riddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 14:10 »
I releases lombre with my only exp share damn
I tried to ask youngster timmy where do I go after taking on brock
I knocked out articuno
I droped my gameboy fighting lance and it glicthed
I named gary a cool ass name . I forgot What it was
I bought that magikarp from that guy for 5000$

Offline The Macintosh Ninja: SOH CAH TOA

• PUK's original ninja. So zetta slow!!
  • Sentret Fan
  • Look, I finally changed my avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 23:49 »
I bought that magikarp from that guy for 5000$
I always buy that Magikarp. Support local business!!

I would always get rid of stat boosting moves as a kid. Around the time of Diamond and Pearl I started realizing that they were very helpful.

Offline Meowstic Royalty

• Cats.
  • Typhlosion Fan
  • WARNING: DORK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 23:50 »
I would always get rid of stat boosting moves as a kid. Around the time of Diamond and Pearl I started realizing that they were very helpful.

I thought Swords Dance and Nasty Plot just added two points to the stat, not doubling it... I thought the moves were for low level Pokemon or idiotic trainers. WHOOPS.

Needs more Gengar

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 23:55 »

I still do this ingame xD

I used to always teach everything hyper beam (I still do occasionally!!) not realising it's not actually as powerful as a strong STAB move.

I used to think STAB was only *1.25 if you had two STABs (it was in the strategy guide for RSE!!! What a rip-off!)
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Mr. Apple

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 01:46 »
It's bug/poison my friend.
what?!?!!???? i totally thought that was flying Dx
I thought Swords Dance and Nasty Plot just added two points to the stat, not doubling it... I thought the moves were for low level Pokemon or idiotic trainers. WHOOPS.
i also did that haha

Offline Sappy

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2013, 01:57 »
took the "mashing a for capture" thing to an extreme

one time i was so convinced, i mashed a and then i had this thing where i would like turn the gba or whatever handheld upside down as i thought not looking at it would raise my chances. then i turned my gbcolour upside down and slid it across a basketball court whilst battling lugia... actually caught it, too!

That's the best one.

G/S

Very first time I played Pokemon and it was Pokemon Silver. Anyhow being 8 or 9 I spent probably 2 hours trying to get out of the house. I found the stairs fine, but I didn't know how on earth how to get out. I just thought the mat was one people lay out to make the place look pretty. Aren't I cool.

Then I didn't know what saving was. I was such a game noob. Played like 3 times picking Totodile each time until my cousin showed me how to save.

Masterball on Graveler, not cause it was an accident. I just really liked Golem at the time.

Training Haunter to level 60 not realising it needed to be traded.

Playing crystal I never knew about Mt. Silver. So for some reason I traveled victory road again, went to Pokemon League then saw; "OMG I CAN GO BEHIND HIM". So explored that, found Red. I shrugged and was like "oh it's me." (The sprite's the same). BAM BAM BAM. Oh.. these Pokemon are high levels. Thank god I have my Lv 100s on me and won ^^

I didn't know Crobat existed. Raised a Zubat for a change on Crystal. Oh golly gosh, HOW IS THIS THING EVOLVING? GOLBATS DONT EVOLVE. OMG THAT IS SOOO COOOL.

Struggled quite a lot in Kanto in Crystal.

As a kid you heard about Lugia and Ho-oh, but I never knew how to actually get them. Stumbled across Lugia like; "Oh there it is. THAT'S SO COOL". Never found Ho-oh and to this day I've never caught a Ho-oh. I've got one through trades and events though ^^

Forgot to fight Jasmine after doing the lighthouse quest.

R/S/E

R/S/E didn't have too many mess ups. But there's a few and being 12 with my friend was amazing.

Tried to get Zangoose. Spend hours trying. Oh it's not in Sapphire... lovely.

Picked Lileep when I loved Anorith

Didn't what Rayquaza was. Climbed a tower for the hell of it.

Didn't go to pacifilog town for well... ages.

It's not really a mistake, but doing the braille for the Regi's was absolutely amazing fun. I think I caught Rock/Ice/Steel in that order. I remember sleeping round a friends house catching Regice and trying all the time in the world.

I bought Pokemon Channel... did get a Jirachi tho.

Actually made a team of Lv 30's for the union room. Lol.

This one's actually IRL. I was at the 10th Anniversary event. It was amazing. Anyway, that day I got a Mew and  a Celebi I just went up to everyone asking if they wanted one (It wasn't giving them away at the event). I'd clone it for them and everything.

FUN FACT: My breeding partner (Please read that carefully ;) ) was traded to me that day. A Shiny Camperupt with magma armour. I still use it even today. It's called Bluenumel because the kid was young.

Went to an event with Lv 100s. Terrible idea.

Will do D/P, BW and XY in a bit.
Slowly an old member..

Offline Ya-Yah

• I'm told I'm a
  • Mulholland Fan
  • Apparently aka YY now ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, 13:15 »
Didn't anyone else think they would beat Brock with Pikachu in Yellow? I can't be the only one that got sucked in by the anime. Also I let my friend play and he fainted when fighting Team Rocket in Mt Moon and told me they took my Pikachu - I thought I'd have to hunt them down, only to find him KO'd in my party :nowink:

Also, in Gen II, I wouldn't heal at Cherrygrove pokecentre before the first rival battle, so if I lost against him  I would be back in New Bark Town and wouldn't have to fight him again :laugh:

Offline Xagor

• Name Rater Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 13:40 »
I somehow managed to beat the entire game of Yellow with a Pikachu. Not really sure how I got through Giovanni the first time, because when I tried redoing this I needed things like X Defense to stop him getting killed too easily by Earthquakes.
3DS Friend Code:1676 3937 3524
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
http://tcgshiyo.wordpress.com/

Offline PurplePurrloin

• Iceduck Fan
  • I don't even like Purrloin. Or Liepard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 18:41 »
I did the whole train-only-your starter thing in my first playthroughs of Pokemon games.
After I learned about balancing your team out and stuff I decided to catch every single Pokemon I came across and train EVERY SINGLE ONE.
Woohoo :P

Offline Kdintranet & Scizau

• Binary Master
  • Sentret Fan
  • 01001011, 01000100
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2013, 18:54 »
Beginners mistake andddddd a mistakes I still do today.

1. I never use; X-Attack, Defense, Sp Def.... ect ect. I just don't see the point in them. I'm like Gary. If their not strong enough without these add-ons. They should not appear in my team. Nintendo should not be promoting Steroids! :).

2. I never use Full Restore/Max Potion Ect in battle. I wait till after the battle to heal all my Pokemon, but then I don't go around the Marts to by all these amazing items. Why? you ask. Oh I don't know. Same as above. I just like to heal my Pokemon in the Pokemon Centre a lot & I like fainting. Strange one aren't I? I'll only use a healing item if I have found it in the wild.

I'll try and think of some more crazy things that I don't bother doing like the above.
Avid Poster On Pokemon Academy

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Turner

• forum scourge
  • Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 23:51 »
I never understood registering with select. I thought 'SEL' was an abbreviated form of 'SELL' and would sell my Key items so I totally avoided that and I thought 'Register' had something to do with registering something on the internet (Which was relatively new and dial up back then) and I never touched it in fear of my mum getting a huge bill.

Mr. Apple

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 01:40 »
i didnt know what a shiny was and killed a shiny zubat in pearl
Beginners mistake andddddd a mistakes I still do today.

1. I never use; X-Attack, Defense, Sp Def.... ect ect. I just don't see the point in them. I'm like Gary. If their not strong enough without these add-ons. They should not appear in my team. Nintendo should not be promoting Steroids! :).
ive never actually used one of those things to this day haha