1 (7.7%)
Yes, only simulators
4 (30.8%)
Yes, if started in Gen VI
4 (30.8%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: 8 Gym leaders of... PKMN?  (Read 4839 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Gym leaders of... PKMN?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 10:07 »
I might be interested in doing this, but like I've said, I'd much rather wait until gen 6. I've also got a lot on my plate already, so maybe this isn't the best idea... but who knows :va
Discord - richardblaziken

quack98

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 18:10 »
I think it seems as though a fair few people are wanting to wait till gen VI, so I think this is probably the best course. That being said, with gen VI coming out in October, we realistically wouldn't be able to start until 2014 (people will need some time to adjust to a whole new type being thrown in)

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 12:19 »
The problem with this is that some might not be able to use Wifi, but some will. I don't have 6 EV Trained pokemon of the same type...besides, I am unable to use showdown, so I use Pokemon Online instead...we might not be able to have 8 people for the same battling method.

quack98

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 12:45 »
The problem with this is that some might not be able to use Wifi, but some will. I don't have 6 EV Trained pokemon of the same type...besides, I am unable to use showdown, so I use Pokemon Online instead...we might not be able to have 8 people for the same battling method.

Yeah, but the Pokemon Aime feature may make ev training substantially easier in Gen VI. Also, for most people who can't use wi-fi it's because they have a DS lite/phat, and have WEP security on their Internet, with the introduction of Gen VI everyone has to have a 3DS, which has more security options so will hopefully eliminate this.

I think, considering this, waiting for Gen VI is probably a better option than trying to start it now, only to need to change it when gen VI is introduced in 3(ish) months time, probably 2 by the time we'd get it all set up.

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 15:35 »
We did this years back when there was substantial interest and when DP was fresh.  It fell through because people became too busy and it requires too much of a commitment to keep intact.  The problem here is once again inactivity and lack of interest, and I don't go for IVs in my game anymore because frankly it's too much work for such little gain (and learning to RNG is too much for me).

EDIT:  Sorry this was covered by many people.  But I'm here if you have specific questions because I lead the project.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 20:30 »
So does this deserve a bump because Gen VI? Leave to die if not...

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 22:28 »
hey you know what this is actually a pretty cool idea. i'm up for it

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 22:34 »
yeah this is definitely an interesting idea, id be willing to participate

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 22:35 »
Although general consensus before was in favour of simulators, how would people feel now about wifi given the massive improvements to game mechanics in terms of breeding and stuff?

Of course, an option to be considered would be having the gym leader decide on the rules for their gym (e.g. wifi or simulator, whether they want singles or doubles or whatever)?
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline the bread dragon

• my furniture has come alive
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 22:39 »
id go for simulator. i like playing through the actual game over and over, and i have wifi problems on my 2ds from time to time

did i mention i havent beat x due to starting over like 10 times Dx

Offline Shaymin

• top hater™ [TARGET ACQUIRED]
  • Name Rater Hater
  • ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ ye
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 22:50 »
mang if only my uni internet allowed me to connect alas it does not otherwise i'd be so for this

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 23:07 »
I guess the easiest way of doing this would be for me to post a draft of how this would work, and then people to point out improvements until we get something that quite a lot of people can manage. So, I'll start with the gyms themselves:

All gyms must have a thread that answers the following questions:
-> Single, Double, Triple or Rotation battle?
-> How many Pokémon? (Minimum 3, Maximum (surprisingly) 6)
-> Are Mega Evolutions allowed in your gym?
-> Which clauses are in effect? (e.g. Sleep Clause, OHKO clause)
-> Which Medium are you using? (Wifi or Simulator, if simulator which one?)
-> ROUGHLY what times can you battle? (Preferably in GMT because that's kinda the neutral time)

They should also contain any other rules you wish to enforce, following these guidelines:
-> Any ban on a pokemon must be justified - You can't just ban Quagsire because your team with all electric moves can't beat it.
-> If you ban any weather, you must ban all weather (this is to avoid Water Gym Leaders banning Drought, Snow Warning and Sand Stream but leaving Drizzle unbanned and stuff)
-> If possible, avoid banning a pokemon when eliminating OP things. For example don't ban Talonflame, ban Gale Wings - Don't ban Kangaskhan, ban Kangaskhanite.

Optional things that would be nice:
-> Gym Badge image to recognise those that beat your gym
-> Trainer Sprite for your gym leader

Okay, any problems with any of this?

(After problems in this have been ironed out then the more administrative side of things can be looked at (e.g. How do you become a gym leader and stuff like that))

mang if only my uni internet allowed me to connect alas it does not otherwise i'd be so for this

Have you tried using http://play.pokemonshowdown.com? That'd be a way for you to do this if you really wanted to!

P.s. Just in case anyone didn't know - my old account was the one that made the topic - I haven't just randomly hijacked it xD
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 02:04 »
Seems pretty reasonable. Only thing I can think of is the need for some sort of board (or just you) to make sure that rules and whatnot are all fair.

PS. Your sig is pretty cool

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 02:24 »
Although general consensus before was in favour of simulators, how would people feel now about wifi given the massive improvements to game mechanics in terms of breeding and stuff?

Of course, an option to be considered would be having the gym leader decide on the rules for their gym (e.g. wifi or simulator, whether they want singles or doubles or whatever)?
a) You need to keep it uniform between wifi/simulator.  Most trainers will not be willing to have a wifi AND simulator team.
b) I'd recommend simulator myself, because wifi can be too much work, but that's all personal preference.  So long as its uniform, it really doesn't matter.

I'd be willing to help on the administrative side of things, because lord knows I don't have the work ethic to do competitive anymore.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 12:08 »
a) You need to keep it uniform between wifi/simulator.  Most trainers will not be willing to have a wifi AND simulator team.
b) I'd recommend simulator myself, because wifi can be too much work, but that's all personal preference.  So long as its uniform, it really doesn't matter.

I'd be willing to help on the administrative side of things, because lord knows I don't have the work ethic to do competitive anymore.

a) Yeah, I can see that being a problem, I think it would be ideal to choose one but then the better option for battling (wifi, because it allows us to select from all four battle types and there's no standard clauses enforced) isn't the easiest and some people may not be able to do it.

b) The only problem I have with simulators is a massive lack of control in choosing the set up of the battle. Also, there's no Triple or Rotation battles (that I know of) on showdown.

And you mentioned earlier about leading the other project - would you mind saying how people became gym leaders? (Because this is one thing I'm trying to work out how to do best)

Seems pretty reasonable. Only thing I can think of is the need for some sort of board (or just you) to make sure that rules and whatnot are all fair.

PS. Your sig is pretty cool

Yeah, This has also made me think where the topics would go (because I think each gym would be best having a topic) should a board not be possible (I don't know how it works on the admin side of things so I'm not sure how possible it is to add a new board / how willing the admins would be to add it).

Thank you xD

Could any mod/admin say wether creating a board would be a possibility? If not, where would you want the topics to be put (ie which board)?
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝