1 (7.7%)
Yes, only simulators
4 (30.8%)
Yes, if started in Gen VI
4 (30.8%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: 8 Gym leaders of... PKMN?  (Read 4838 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Gym leaders of... PKMN?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 12:16 »
I was in one before, I think I did about 2 battles, and from what I remember, there were few enough people signing up that it could just be
"let me be a gym leader"
"k"
However, once a challenger had defeated the champion, they were permitted to challenge a gym leader for their spot.

Offline Kerou 犠牲

• In time... we'll learn
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 12:40 »
Yeah, This has also made me think where the topics would go (because I think each gym would be best having a topic) should a board not be possible (I don't know how it works on the admin side of things so I'm not sure how possible it is to add a new board / how willing the admins would be to add it).

At this point Wireless Activities because there's no guarantee of how successful it'd be. If it builds up steam it could get stickied and then eventually a new board if the demand shows enough to warrant it

Just my two cents. Seems a real neat idea =]

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 15:02 »
Last time we were asked for boards for a similar idea, we spent an hour or so setting up permissions, after which they were dormant for two years because nobody started work. We can set it up, with some basic permissions, but let's get the ball rolling first so we can jump in soon after.
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 15:37 »
That sounds good - it seems to make more sense starting it and getting a fair amount of activity before getting you to spend time making a board that could end up being abandoned if we go straight to a new board.

So in the mean time would it be best to follow Gurren Lagann's (is it Alex? I seem to recall someone calling you that?) suggestion of having it in the Wireless Activities board?
DONT LET THE PEOPLE ON STAGE LEFT KNOW THE SCRIPT
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Joeno

• WebMaster
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Name Rater Hater
  • "It's only love, what is everyone so scared of?"
    • View Profile
    • PKMN.NET
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 16:17 »
Probably, but we could add some links elsewhere to create additional interest
Peter <3<3<3<3

Pong And Beyond - Playing through 1001 video games before we die...

P-O-K-accent-E Balls!

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 19:30 »
And you mentioned earlier about leading the other project - would you mind saying how people became gym leaders? (Because this is one thing I'm trying to work out how to do best)
The community was bigger then and generally we all knew everyone, so it was a kind of thing where I'd ask people to volunteer.  No formal applications or anything.  It was more relaxed.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 23:05 »
The community was bigger then and generally we all knew everyone, so it was a kind of thing where I'd ask people to volunteer.  No formal applications or anything.  It was more relaxed.

Do you think that way worked fine, or would you say a bit more of an application would have got more committed people? Also, if people both wanted the same type how would you solve that? I assume you'd just get them to do a best of three match or something, but just seeing if you had another way.

Also, I suppose the most important thing, what do you think went wrong last time? Because obviously if you have a pretty good idea what it was then I can endeavour to learn from it
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Lord Raven

• token american
  • Senior Staff Member
  • Fan Rotom
  • Oh, I haven't had a cavity in over forty years.
    • View Profile
    • GTS+
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2013, 00:20 »
We were a little ambitious and tried 16-gym leagues, and it was hard to have everyone committed.  Real life got in the way since we were trying to make it a wifi league, and that compounded to result in a trainwreck.  Wifi's easier to deal with now, but simulators make everything a lot easier.  Still, real life gets in the way a lot, and people like me without stable lives (ie, I don't go to work and come home at a certain time, I go to school and my hours are sporadic, and I value my real life commitments over internet commitments and often forget about the latter).

If two people wanted the same type I'd advise them to talk it out.  If worse comes to worse then you have to make an executive decision, based on whatever you want.  If two people are unable to budge with respect to something as minute as the type they want (especially if this is a simulator league), then they probably aren't mature enough to take on the responsibilities of being a gym leader.  At least, that's a personal thing, I don't want people like that in my league.  It's a judgment call really.

I don't remember if that issue came up, but I pretty much went to the guy who asked first, and if they both asked roughly around the same time I think I'd talk to them individually.  Someone will budge first.
Signature disabled. Please read the rules!

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2013, 00:39 »
We were a little ambitious and tried 16-gym leagues, and it was hard to have everyone committed.  Real life got in the way since we were trying to make it a wifi league, and that compounded to result in a trainwreck.  Wifi's easier to deal with now, but simulators make everything a lot easier.  Still, real life gets in the way a lot, and people like me without stable lives (ie, I don't go to work and come home at a certain time, I go to school and my hours are sporadic, and I value my real life commitments over internet commitments and often forget about the latter).

Right, so it seems that starting small (likely 8 gyms with no E4 or champion) would be best, and then building on that if it's successful. Of course there's always going to be people dropping out for real life things, but I think this is something that's un-fixable.

If two people wanted the same type I'd advise them to talk it out.  If worse comes to worse then you have to make an executive decision, based on whatever you want.  If two people are unable to budge with respect to something as minute as the type they want (especially if this is a simulator league), then they probably aren't mature enough to take on the responsibilities of being a gym leader.  At least, that's a personal thing, I don't want people like that in my league.  It's a judgment call really.

I don't remember if that issue came up, but I pretty much went to the guy who asked first, and if they both asked roughly around the same time I think I'd talk to them individually.  Someone will budge first.

Yeah, that seems like it'd be a good way of doing things. Might be worth saying that types are given to the first person, although tbh most people on the site don't seem like they'd care about their type to the extent they'd fight over it (or at the very least would have 3 or so they'd be willing to choose from).

Thanks for all your help - it'll certainly make this much easier to run.

Seems pretty reasonable. Only thing I can think of is the need for some sort of board (or just you) to make sure that rules and whatnot are all fair.

PS. Your sig is pretty cool

Just realised I misread this the first time - I've just realised by board you meant a board of people xD

But that's definitely a good idea, I think it would be best to have several people doing this because one person can't have an unbiased view on everything - it's just not going to happen - but between a few people it'd kinda cancel out any bias.
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2013, 00:50 »
i'd be up for taking fire type if applying and whatnot's going on here.

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2013, 01:03 »
If needed, I could fill a position. But let's have this gain some interest first.
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline SaRo|Rapidash

• The 9th Gym Leader
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2013, 01:04 »
i'd be up for taking fire type if applying and whatnot's going on here.

I'll probably put up a seperate thread for applying, mainly because it'd be inconvenient having the rules in the middle of a random page, but I'll keep in mind that you're wanting fire.

Edit: Right, I'm going to post up the thread now because I feel that prolonging it any longer could result in people losing interest and I'm pretty sure we've had at least 6 people say they're interested, if not 8.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:57 by RubyRobin »
...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
 ╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ...╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ╚═(███)═╝
 .╚═(███)═╝
 ..╚═(███)═╝

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2014, 11:02 »
I'm interested. I can be the versitile type Gym Leader like Blue/Green was in GSC/HGSS! Of course my battles would have to be in the evenings so maybe half of my Pokemon could be Dark types and the rfest a surprise.
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2014, 13:58 »
Um.... I'm not sure if it works that way....
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Captain Jigglypuff

• The Jigglypuff Master
  • Joeno Fan
  • Don't MAKE me Double Slap you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2014, 14:16 »
Oh. I was think of using a few "surprise" attacks by utilizing rare and hard to get moves on my team. I LOVE using those types of moves.
"Don't pawn your garbage off on me!"~Watchy Watchog

Somehow the wires uncrossed.
The tables were turned.
Never knew I had such a lesson to learn.
˜New Attitude (Patti Labelle)

Plz Click!