Poll

Would you be interested in this idea?

Yes, having a competitive battling mentor is something I'd be interested in
Yes, I think this is a good idea, but would not personally participate
No, I think this is unnecessary / detrimental for the site
No, this is a bad idea (please post your reason!)
Undecided / Other concerns (please post below!)

Author Topic: Competitive Mentorship Program? (Update!)  (Read 4802 times)

0 Members, Big Brother and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Hahex and Oshawott

• Number 500 of the PUK crew. Who started this anyway?
  • Joeno Fan
  • Holding on to what I haven't got.
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Mentorship Program?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 03:06 »
Honestly, the subtleties of the differences between gen 5 and gen 6 dont really matter when it comes to teaching the very basics of competitive battling. I'd say just go and try to teach the current metagame to the best of one's knowledge and correct it if anything major changes.

Offline Spriter

• Sentret Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 12:11 »
About the lower tiers, you could possibly help out and teach how to use someone's favourites in lower tiers as NU is so large (there were 206 in there at the end of Gen 5), and almost anything has a chance of doing alright in there. Heck, stuff like Skuntank, Samurott, Haunter, Alomomola, Articuno, Audino, Cacturne and even Golbat did nicely last gen. Most battlers do know that using favourites isn't a good idea, but you could base a team on a favourite and get the right support for it.

Ignoring that, we'd need a good amount of battlers to actually make this work well.

Offline Clairefable

• worst jobby
  • Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
    • abandon hope all ye who enter here
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2014, 14:36 »
I just need someone to really explain how things work to me in terms I understand. It does seem a little easier this gen (I grasp the idea of how Super Training works far more than I ever understood how to caluculate what EVs go where and how many of x pokemon I had to battle to get the desired results and woah maths my head hurts just thinking about it) so this is probably the best chance I'd ever have of getting into the competitive side of it. That said, for me it'd just really be for fun; I don't ever really see myself entering tournaments or whatever, I'd just like to be able to battle with friends and folks here without fear of totally embarassing myself. Also I work really irregular hours so I might not always be around at the same time as a mentor would be. :/ I guess it depends how such a thing would be implemented. Also I understand that things like prediction and effective movesets will probably just come naturally with experience. It's just the technical side I don't really get. D:

(also this seems really familiar to me somehow. wasn't something like this suggested ages ago, like back in the gen 4 days???)

Offline SirBlaziken

• You either die a hero or live long enough to get a bad reboot
  • Name Rater Hater
  • Hax High Priest
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2014, 14:40 »
I may be able to help with that. ^
Click here to access my paste to get to my teambuilding topics here on PKMN

Offline Awkward Squirtle

• Joeno Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 19:58 »
Chloe, it helps a lot that horde battles have been introduced. That takes the number of battles required down to about 10 to fully EV train something for a simple spread.

Offline Richard and Blaziken

• Name Rater Hater
  • Mr. Blaziken
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Mentorship Program - Update!
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 10:22 »
Alright, well we have a small amount of people interested and a smaller amount of people that could probably do this, but I think that's a good start.

I have opened topic where people can apply to be a competitive battling mentor, which will be followed by a poll where you, the community, will vote on who you'd like to teach! Once we get a consensus for how many tutors we'll have, and how many people they'll each take on to teach, we'll decide how many tutors we actually need, which can be increased in the future if we have enough willing applicants.

So... get hyped! If you were one of those that showed an interest in being a student in this program, this decision effects you as well, so I urge you to keep an active interest and continue to voice your opinions here!
Discord - richardblaziken